Compact front derailleur, FSA vs Ultegra, etc.

BiggMakk

Oct 3, 2005
Sorry if this topic has been asked before on Cycling Forums. I tried a search but got too many results. So here goes...

I currently ride an FSA Gossamer Mega Exo 53/39 crank with an Ultegra front derailleur. I am considering switching to a compact 50/34 simply because I want more gear selections in the 12-17 cogs for the flats (the remaining 4 are 19-21-23-25 I use on hills).

I am considering either an FSA Gossamer Compact crank or Shimano R700 compact crank. Question: Do I need a new BB for the Shimano or will my current FSA Mega Exo BB work?

I've heard of compact-specific front derailleurs. Is this true or will my current Ultegra front work fine?

Thanks.

BiggMakk said:
...I've heard of compact-specific front derailleurs. Is this true or will my current Ultegra front work fine?....
I use standard front derailleurs on two compact crank equipped bikes and they shift just fine. I had to lower the derailleur a tad but the change in cage radius doesn't seem necesary for crisp shifting.

YMMV,
Dave

gclark8 said:
A 13-27 (or13-26) cassette would be a cheaper and easier option. ;)
And much less effective, especially 13-26, it'd barely be worth spending the money.

I did consider using the wider rear cog set but the lower gears are a lesser concern than having a highly usable range of gears for the majority of my riding. The one-tooth changes allow me to find the perfect cadence for the kind of riding I do. A 53 front chainring makes the increments too steep. A jump from 53/19 to 53/17 is very big for me. So a 50/17-16-15 may suit my needs.

I agree with the closer gaps. My GF changed her crankset from a 165mm 30/42/52 to 160mm 30/38/48 with the same comments on gaps. :cool: I changed the derailleur to a 48t.