Compact front derailleur on large diameter seat tube

Guest
I have a Scott CR1 frame that has a diameter 35mm seat tube. Per Campy specs
the derailleur braze on's mounting slot should be centered 27.2mm from the
middle of the seat tube. It seems odd to me that Campy specs the mounting
slot further away as the diameter of the seat tube get larger, e.i, (seat
tube/mounting slot in mm) 28.6/24.75, 32/26 and 38/27.2. This means that the
derailleur must have more inward travel as the seat tube gets larger in
diameter, since the chainline doesn't change with the diameter of the seat
tube.

My problem is that with a Campy compact front derailleur adjusted to the
maximum inward position will not clear the chain in the last 2 rear cogs.
The chainline is correct.

I don't see any fixes to using a compact crank on this frame other than:
1. Get a new derailleur that moves inward more.
2. Modify the derailleur, grind metal off, so it move more inward.
3. Make a custom brazeon that has the slot more inward by about 2mm.

Anyone else run into this problem?

Yes thanks for the tip I have one on order from Excel. I hope it works out.

> <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:D[email protected]...
> >I have a Scott CR1 frame that has a diameter 35mm seat tube. Per Campy
> >specs
> > the derailleur braze on's mounting slot should be centered 27.2mm from

the
> > middle of the seat tube. It seems odd to me that Campy specs the

mounting
> > slot further away as the diameter of the seat tube get larger, e.i,

(seat
> > tube/mounting slot in mm) 28.6/24.75, 32/26 and 38/27.2. This means that
> > the
> > derailleur must have more inward travel as the seat tube gets larger in
> > diameter, since the chainline doesn't change with the diameter of the

seat
> > tube.
> >
> > My problem is that with a Campy compact front derailleur adjusted to the
> > maximum inward position will not clear the chain in the last 2 rear

cogs.
> > The chainline is correct.
> >
> > I don't see any fixes to using a compact crank on this frame other than:
> > 1. Get a new derailleur that moves inward more.
> > 2. Modify the derailleur, grind metal off, so it move more inward.
> > 3. Make a custom brazeon that has the slot more inward by about 2mm.
> >
> > Anyone else run into this problem?

> The IRD Compact front derailleur may work but you'd have to try it out.

I got the IRD and it works!

> Yes thanks for the tip I have one on order from Excel. I hope it works

out.

> news:D[email protected]...
> > >I have a Scott CR1 frame that has a diameter 35mm seat tube. Per Campy
> > >specs
> > > the derailleur braze on's mounting slot should be centered 27.2mm from

> the
> > > middle of the seat tube. It seems odd to me that Campy specs the

> mounting
> > > slot further away as the diameter of the seat tube get larger, e.i,

> (seat
> > > tube/mounting slot in mm) 28.6/24.75, 32/26 and 38/27.2. This means

that
> > > the
> > > derailleur must have more inward travel as the seat tube gets larger

in
> > > diameter, since the chainline doesn't change with the diameter of the

> seat
> > > tube.
> > >
> > > My problem is that with a Campy compact front derailleur adjusted to

the
> > > maximum inward position will not clear the chain in the last 2 rear

> cogs.
> > > The chainline is correct.
> > >
> > > I don't see any fixes to using a compact crank on this frame other

than:
> > > 1. Get a new derailleur that moves inward more.
> > > 2. Modify the derailleur, grind metal off, so it move more inward.
> > > 3. Make a custom brazeon that has the slot more inward by about 2mm.
> > >
> > > Anyone else run into this problem?

> > The IRD Compact front derailleur may work but you'd have to try it out.

I second thought the IRD didn't work after road testing. The derailleur
wouldn't mount low enough so the chain derailed when shifting to the big
ring. Also the spring tension is too high and self shifted back toward the
little ring.

I finally bit the bullet and modified the Campy record derailleur by taking
metal off a pivots point to increase travel and sanding down the inside of
the cage for more clearance.

> I got the IRD and it works!

news:[email protected]...