Compact Tyre Pumps

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Jack Ouzzi, Sep 13, 2004.

  1. Jack Ouzzi

    Jack Ouzzi Guest

    Any recommendations ??

    My own stupid fault really (I am recently back to cycling) but due to
    my frame having 2 bottle cages 1 for bottle, 2 for 'bits' bag (folding
    tyre, spare tube, levers, puncture kit etc) no frame fit pump and I
    did not do a test beforehand on the thing I had.

    I had a Halfords (spit) fat mini pump thing that when I punctured
    (naturally in the middle of nowhere) would barley inflate a paper bag,
    let alone my 90psi pressures. I also carry a small adaptor, for the
    ailine at the friendly garage :) but the nearest garage was about 20
    miles away in the wrong direction.

    Anyway, about 2 mins to change to tube, and about 35 mins to reach a
    pressure of about 4 psi .............. lot of wind (not in my tyre) in
    the exposed Lincs fens where I am punctured, and I am getting f......
    cold (halfway through a 'brisk' training run) and f...... p..... off.

    The 'Halfords' 10 year old pump (great for TRACTOR tyres) is now in a
    dyke somewhere .............. so I need a replacement.

    1 Needs to reach 'get you home' pressures.
    2 Needs to fit into rear pocket of jersey or similar.
    3 No need to inflate bouncy castles, schrader valves, woods valves,
    air beds, tractor tyres etc etc just PRESTA, and EFFECTIVELY.....
    4 Not frame fitting.
    5. Not willing to pay Assos prices (OK I know they dont do pumps, but
    I dont want it monogrammed and gold plated, I just want the friggin
    air out of it)

    TIA

    Tags:

  2. chris French

    chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Jack Ouzzi
    <[email protected]> writes
    >Any recommendations ??
    >
    >My own stupid fault really (I am recently back to cycling) but due to
    >my frame having 2 bottle cages 1 for bottle, 2 for 'bits' bag (folding
    >tyre, spare tube, levers, puncture kit etc) no frame fit pump and I
    >did not do a test beforehand on the thing I had.

    <snip.

    >The 'Halfords' 10 year old pump (great for TRACTOR tyres) is now in a
    >dyke somewhere .............. so I need a replacement.
    >
    >1 Needs to reach 'get you home' pressures.
    >2 Needs to fit into rear pocket of jersey or similar.
    >3 No need to inflate bouncy castles, schrader valves, woods valves,
    >air beds, tractor tyres etc etc just PRESTA, and EFFECTIVELY.....
    >4 Not frame fitting.
    >5. Not willing to pay Assos prices (OK I know they dont do pumps, but
    >I dont want it monogrammed and gold plated, I just want the friggin
    >air out of it)

    not what you say you want :)

    , but I'd suggest a Zefal HPX - they are the dogs danglies. Yes it is
    frame fitting, but it will fit along underneath the top tube. You can
    get clamp on pump spigots to put behind the head tube, or what I do is
    use a small velcro strap to hold it on.

    Well constructed, they have a lock off on the handle that stops you
    pushing against the spring in the handle - makes a surprising
    difference, for get 'get you home' they will get you well over 100 psi
    in no time.

    Not the cheapest, but not outrageous, but worth it.
    --
    Chris French, Leeds

  3. JBB

    JBB Guest

    "Jack Ouzzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Any recommendations ??
    >
    > My own stupid fault really (I am recently back to cycling) but due to
    > my frame having 2 bottle cages 1 for bottle, 2 for 'bits' bag (folding
    > tyre, spare tube, levers, puncture kit etc) no frame fit pump and I
    > did not do a test beforehand on the thing I had.
    >
    > I had a Halfords (spit) fat mini pump thing that when I punctured
    > (naturally in the middle of nowhere) would barley inflate a paper bag,
    > let alone my 90psi pressures. I also carry a small adaptor, for the
    > ailine at the friendly garage :) but the nearest garage was about 20
    > miles away in the wrong direction.
    >
    > Anyway, about 2 mins to change to tube, and about 35 mins to reach a
    > pressure of about 4 psi .............. lot of wind (not in my tyre) in
    > the exposed Lincs fens where I am punctured, and I am getting f......
    > cold (halfway through a 'brisk' training run) and f...... p..... off.
    >
    > The 'Halfords' 10 year old pump (great for TRACTOR tyres) is now in a
    > dyke somewhere .............. so I need a replacement.
    >
    > 1 Needs to reach 'get you home' pressures.
    > 2 Needs to fit into rear pocket of jersey or similar.
    > 3 No need to inflate bouncy castles, schrader valves, woods valves,
    > air beds, tractor tyres etc etc just PRESTA, and EFFECTIVELY.....
    > 4 Not frame fitting.
    > 5. Not willing to pay Assos prices (OK I know they dont do pumps, but
    > I dont want it monogrammed and gold plated, I just want the friggin
    > air out of it)
    >
    > TIA

    I have just (3 months ago) bought an Innovations Road Air which fits on your
    bottle bosses next to the bottle. It works. I'm a female with small hands
    and I can easily pump up to 90 psi and with a bit more effort up to 120. I
    also carry a small zefal pressure gauge and have a track pump so I know
    these pressures to be accurate. I know it won't fit in your pocket! However
    it is light, unobtrusive and functional.

    HTH
    Julia

  4. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Jack Ouzzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Any recommendations ??
    >
    > My own stupid fault really (I am recently back to cycling) but due to
    > my frame having 2 bottle cages 1 for bottle, 2 for 'bits' bag (folding
    > tyre, spare tube, levers, puncture kit etc) no frame fit pump and I
    > did not do a test beforehand on the thing I had.

    I use this Top Peak Road Morph pump which handles both valve types and can
    be used as a floor pump and still attaches to your frame. Mine hangs
    underneath the top tube.

    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=4000000600

    --
    Simon Mason
    Anlaby

  5. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Any recommendations ??
    >
    > My own stupid fault really (I am recently back to cycling) but due to
    > my frame having 2 bottle cages 1 for bottle, 2 for 'bits' bag (folding
    > tyre, spare tube, levers, puncture kit etc) no frame fit pump and I
    > did not do a test beforehand on the thing I had.

    I now have three Blackburn Airsticks, one on each of three bikes.
    They're really well engineered, and, a decided factor in my choice, you
    can buy service packs of replacement parts for them, which in my mind
    indicates the manufacturers see these as long-lived tools which will be
    serviced rather than thrown away. They're compact, light, well made,
    elegant, easy to use, effective up to well over 100psi, and come with
    an under-bottle-cage mounting clip. Recommended. Not cheap.

    ;; If God does not write LISP, God writes some code so similar to
    ;; LISP as to make no difference.

  6. Tracker 1972

    Tracker 1972 Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Jack Ouzzi <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Any recommendations ??
    > dyke somewhere .............. so I need a replacement.

    I have a Truflow Micro Max air+
    > 1 Needs to reach 'get you home' pressures.

    Gets me to 70 psi, would go a bit higher but starting to get hard (to
    push), my hybrid tyres want no more though.
    > 2 Needs to fit into rear pocket of jersey or similar.

    8 inches long and light.
    > 3 No need to inflate bouncy castles, schrader valves, woods valves,
    > air beds, tractor tyres etc etc just PRESTA, and EFFECTIVELY.....

    does both valves but you never know.......
    > 4 Not frame fitting.

    think it came with a bracket to fit next to a bottle cage but you don't
    have to use it although it may be more comfy than a pocket.
    > 5. Not willing to pay Assos prices (OK I know they dont do pumps, but
    > I dont want it monogrammed and gold plated, I just want the friggin
    > air out of it)

    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/v2_product_detail.asp?ProdID=5360007719
    for ?11.95 or
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/v2_product_detail.asp?ProdID=5360007718
    for ?9.99 without the pressure gauge.

    As it is only for emergencies have you thought about those gas cylinder
    things? They are small and probably as quick as anything you could carry
    with minimum effort. Downside is that they have consumables with added
    cost but then how many punctures do you get? Carry kit and sods law will
    help save you from getting as many as no puncture kit/spare tube.
    Punctures solved quickly and easily but at an added expense......
    tempting target for sod, his law and his minion.... the puncture fairy
    :)

    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/v2_product_detail.asp?ProdID=5300004665

    Personally hope you go for the gadget version, gas cylinders, and
    experiment and tell us/me how they go. Can't resist gadgets personally
    but looks like they could be useful.

    Tracker.

    --

    mmmmmmmm, tasty.

    of course it isn't itisnt)

  7. Velvet

    Velvet Guest

    Jack Ouzzi wrote:
    > Any recommendations ??

    Topeak thing - possibly a morphe? Can't remember what it is, am 85
    miles from bike currently so can't go look. It's small, but folds out
    to become a mini track pump (you have a bit to stand a foot on, and the
    handle flips over to give more leverage to push down). Also, it's small
    enough to be fitted on the back of the seat post big of the frame on
    mine - sits between the frame tube and the mudguard.

    Gets to 90psi fine, with a bit more application will get you up to 110,
    and a damn sight easier than the previous pump I had. Also has integral
    pressure gauge, which is nice.

    Other than that, I'd suggest (but have not tried) the CO2 minipump things.

    --

    Velvet

  8. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

  9. Velvet

    Velvet Guest

  10. davek

    davek Guest

    Jack Ouzzi wrote:
    > Any recommendations ??

    Blackburn MTN Air.

    > 1 Needs to reach 'get you home' pressures.

    Check.

    > 2 Needs to fit into rear pocket of jersey or similar.

    It's pretty compact so could easily fit into a jersey pocket, though I
    keep mine on the bracket that attaches next to the bottle cage.

    > 3 No need to inflate bouncy castles, schrader valves, woods valves,
    > air beds, tractor tyres etc etc just PRESTA, and EFFECTIVELY.....

    Check.

    > 4 Not frame fitting.

    Check.

    > 5. Not willing to pay Assos prices

    Yours for a tenner.

    d.

  11. davek

    davek Guest

    I wrote:
    > Blackburn MTN Air.

    <url:http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=1378405810>

    d.

  12. Eiron

    Eiron Guest

    Jack Ouzzi wrote:

    > Any recommendations ??

    Halfords 5 quid pump is excellent,
    if you remember to use the lever to squeeze the grommet.

    It's 23 cm long, fits Schrader and Presta valves,
    and comes with a frame mounting bracket.

    --
    Eiron.

  13. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

  14. Rory

    Rory Guest

    Jack Ouzzi <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Any recommendations ??
    >
    > My own stupid fault really (I am recently back to cycling) but due to
    > my frame having 2 bottle cages 1 for bottle, 2 for 'bits' bag (folding
    > tyre, spare tube, levers, puncture kit etc) no frame fit pump and I
    > did not do a test beforehand on the thing I had.
    >
    > I had a Halfords (spit) fat mini pump thing that when I punctured
    > (naturally in the middle of nowhere) would barley inflate a paper bag,
    > let alone my 90psi pressures. I also carry a small adaptor, for the
    > ailine at the friendly garage :) but the nearest garage was about 20
    > miles away in the wrong direction.
    >
    > Anyway, about 2 mins to change to tube, and about 35 mins to reach a
    > pressure of about 4 psi .............. lot of wind (not in my tyre) in
    > the exposed Lincs fens where I am punctured, and I am getting f......
    > cold (halfway through a 'brisk' training run) and f...... p..... off.
    >
    > The 'Halfords' 10 year old pump (great for TRACTOR tyres) is now in a
    > dyke somewhere ..............

    (snigger)

    > 1 Needs to reach 'get you home' pressures.
    > 2 Needs to fit into rear pocket of jersey or similar.
    > 3 No need to inflate bouncy castles, schrader valves, woods valves,
    > air beds, tractor tyres etc etc just PRESTA, and EFFECTIVELY.....
    > 4 Not frame fitting.
    > 5. Not willing to pay Assos prices (OK I know they dont do pumps, but
    > I dont want it monogrammed and gold plated, I just want the friggin
    > air out of it)

    I have a very compact Toppeak Pocket Rocket Master Blaster DX, which
    has an adapter to fit onto a bottle cage (which is still usuable). It
    works well, but won't get up to 90psi, but puts enough air in for a
    get-you-home, rather than a carry-on-and-win sort of ride.
    Apparently there is also a MB model the same size that'll put out
    160psi...

  15. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Rory wrote:
    > I have a very compact Toppeak Pocket Rocket Master Blaster DX, which
    > has an adapter to fit onto a bottle cage (which is still usuable). It
    > works well, but won't get up to 90psi, but puts enough air in for a
    > get-you-home, rather than a carry-on-and-win sort of ride.
    > Apparently there is also a MB model the same size that'll put out
    > 160psi...

    The *non* "DX" model of the Pocket Rocket gets up to well beyond 90 psi.
    I don't know about 160psi because I got bored and stopped at 120 when I
    tested it. Takes ages to reach that pressure because the volume pumped
    per stroke is small. Little hand force is required thanks to its narrow
    barell. Concave end can be improved with epoxy putty.

    ~PB

  16. The Judder

    The Judder New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2004
    Just purchased Halfords own brand of the new "hybrid" pumps slightly larger than the compact but much smaller than a track pump. It has a pull out air hose and if the valve is positioned at the bottom position you can use it like a track pump.
    You,ll get about 90 psi very quickly, and the thing is best bracketed on the vertical frame tube................Halfords selling for £16.99........very impressed.

  17. Jaguar27

    Jaguar27 New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2003
    Tracker...I was just sitting here reading your Post and it prompted me to get off my lazy Arse and try my CO2 Gas Cylinder Tire inflator thingy...
    I've had one Puncture, my Wife has also had one...we had no spare Tube or Pump...I called a Mate who happened to be at home on two occassions and he took us to a Bike Store...

    Sooo, I went out and bought a Tube, Tire Levers and this little Gas inflator...
    I've been carrying it around in my little saddle bag, along with a Tube and levers for months...and every time I go out I always wonder "I wonder if this thing will work"....

    Anyway, I just tested it...I let all the air out of my front 700c Road Bike Tire...and in the interests of accuracy, I made sure it was COMPLETELY Flat...

    I applied the Pump, pressed the red Button, and Voila!! The Tire inflated to ROCK HARD in around 3-4 seconds...it works perfectly...

    It is around 4-5 inches long X around 2" wide at it's widest point..it does fit into a Very small saddle bag, leaving room for the tube and small levers...

    Brand: Genuine Innovations, with "intelligent Head" which means it automatically fits schraded and Presta Valves...(I only tried it on a Presta)...

    It's Red and white in colour....

    I can't remember how much it cost...I bought the most expensive one in the shop....I THINK it was close to US$30.00....but WELL worth it....it really does work...and that's all that counts, right?

    I guess to complete the experiment I should have checked the pressure with a Gauge, but I couldn't be arsed, sorry...

    It can be easily carried in a Jeresy Pocket, but I carry me Fags, lighter, Car Keys and Cell phone in mine...so there's not much room left for an inflator...

    By the way, I did buy some spare Cartridges (you owe me $3.00)...
    ;)

  18. Jack Ouzzi

    Jack Ouzzi Guest

    On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 05:32:14 +1000, Jaguar27
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >By the way, I did buy some spare Cartridges (you owe me $3.00)...
    >;)

    Many thanks guys for all the replies .............. davek Sorry mate I
    read your post too late .......... Jaguar, I have sent you some money
    via Air Mail :) Thanks for the comprehensive test.

    I settled for a Topeak Master Blaster Mini DX With Gauge (not really
    fussed about the gauge, as I can 'feel' the right pressure) so a happy
    bunny at the moment ....

    See y'all up the road ...............