Compact vs. Standard Road Frames......

lorrod

Feb 7, 2005
What is your preference for racing - compact frames or standard road frames? And why? It seems compact frames would be smart for racing, but some have complained about the descending problems with the knee-stabilization technique. However, it seems to me that the trade-off would be worth it.

I recently got two compact bikes, a fixed gear and a road bike. For me the issue was that I have a long torso and shortish legs for my height. The compact gives me the top tube length AND the standover height I need. I don't feel it affects handling at all.

I ride both styles of bike. No difference on descending or any other stability characteristics. The compact frame does give a bit more stiffness in an all out sprint or atleast that is what I perceive. I like both bikes very much.

I went compact because of the overall feel, and most importantly, fit.

Deanster04 said:
I ride both styles of bike. No difference on descending or any other stability characteristics. The compact frame does give a bit more stiffness in an all out sprint or atleast that is what I perceive. I like both bikes very much.

"Overall feel." That is the operative concept. Try both before you decide. The compact frame was started for marketing and cost reasons (by Giant I believe). As a result it has taken some time for acceptance by the more knowledgeable veteran riders. Younger riders have been very willing to ride the compact because they see them more and more in the pro ranks. That being said the compact does have very nice riding characteristics, however being very old school I still prefer the traditional geometry for asethetics...but my compact is growing on me more and more over time.
Ride what feels best and you will ride more (sophmoric I know!).

I have heard that compacts are stiffer so if you sprint a lot that would help you a little. Also if you have smaller legs but a long torso it would help you feel more comfortable.

Jeff

First, there is no inherent difference between compact, semi-compact, and standard road frames, in terms of handling and stiffness. They do look different. Compacts do not inherently have descending issues. Descending issues are a function of rider weight and frame geometry. Compacts may or may not be lightweight.

The one you should choose is the one that rides well or tickles your aesthetic fancies.

Just like most people say, its what fits and feels good.

I part-time at a bike shop and had quite a few bikes to choose from. I went through the Madone 5.9, a Waterford steel frame with record, a lower end Giant TCR (we didnt have the Advanced), Lemond, Pinarello, etc... It took me nearly a month to decide on which bike I like the most. Hell I was spending alot of money on my bike and wasnt about to just buy anything based on what someone else likes. I made sure it was what I wanted.

Its not a frame for everyone. Ive heard people say they hate it. Ive let people ride my bike and they in turn would order one themselves.

So yeah just try it out. For now, I'll swear up and down by them that they are very comfortable, feel great on descents, even better on climbs, and I'd trust my life on those bad boys.

This here is my compact road bike.

alienator said:
First, there is no inherent difference between compact, semi-compact, and standard road frames, in terms of handling and stiffness. They do look different. Compacts do not inherently have descending issues. Descending issues are a function of rider weight and frame geometry. Compacts may or may not be lightweight.

The one you should choose is the one that rides well or tickles your aesthetic fancies.

StartTday said:
I part-time at a bike shop and had quite a few bikes to choose from. I went through the Madone 5.9, a Waterford steel frame with record, a lower end Giant TCR (we didnt have the Advanced), Lemond, Pinarello, etc... It took me nearly a month to decide on which bike I like the most. Hell I was spending alot of money on my bike and wasnt about to just buy anything based on what someone else likes. I made sure it was what I wanted. This here is my compact road bike.

Funny. I moved from a Waterford/Schwinn Parmount OS that I had built 13 years ago to a Moots Compact. I am uber in love w/ the ride of the Moots, but any comparison between teh Parmount OS and the Moots is irrelevant: completely different materials, geometries, etc.