Compag ergo problem

John Meier

Guest
I have a set of 9 speed Record Ergo shifters and am having a problem with the right one. When I
upshift it shifts to far. To get the rear derailleur into the correct position all I have to do is
apply a little pressure on the thumb button and the chain is positioned on the cassette correctly.
What could be causing this problem? Do I need to replace a spring or something? I don't think it's a
gunked up cable. If I need to replace parts could someone tell me which parts I need. I think it's
time for me to increase my wrench twisting skills and dive into the guts of this ergo shifter.

Thanks

John Meier Washougal, WA

John Meier wrote:
> I have a set of 9 speed Record Ergo shifters and am having a problem with the right one. When
> I upshift it shifts to far.

The first thing I'd do is loosen the tension on the derailleur cable by unscrewing the barrel
adjuster at the derailleur a turn or two.

In article <NL6xa.864200$F1.108387@sccrnsc04>, John Meier <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have a set of 9 speed Record Ergo shifters and am having a problem with the right one. When I
> upshift it shifts to far. To get the rear derailleur into the correct position all I have to do
> is apply a little pressure on the thumb button and the chain is positioned on the cassette
> correctly.

This most likely means you snapped off the post on the EC-RE111 spring carrier inside the shifter.
This is a common problem on the 1999 style ergo shifters. When you replace the spring carrier you
probably also want to replace the two G springs.

I did not have Campy's manual for this overhaul so I wrote up the procedure here after watching
Peter Chisholm demonstrate it:

http://www.etext.org/~pauls/ergo_overhaul.html

The parts should be orderable through any bike shop that sells Campagnolo components. If your local
shop won't do it, several regulars on this newsgroup sell parts (and overhaul services) - see
vecchios.com or yellowjersey.org

--Paul

"Paul Southworth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:vL8xa.35241$A%[email protected]...
> In article <NL6xa.864200$F1.108387@sccrnsc04>, John Meier <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I have a set of 9 speed Record Ergo shifters and am having a problem with the right one. When
> > I upshift it shifts to far. To get the rear derailleur into the correct position all I have
> > to do is apply a little pressure on the thumb button and the chain is positioned on the
> > cassette correctly.
>
> This most likely means you snapped off the post on the EC-RE111 spring carrier inside the shifter.
> This is a common problem on the 1999 style ergo shifters. When you replace the spring carrier you
> probably also want to replace the two G springs.
>
> I did not have Campy's manual for this overhaul so I wrote up the procedure here after watching
> Peter Chisholm demonstrate it:
>
> http://www.etext.org/~pauls/ergo_overhaul.html
>
> The parts should be orderable through any bike shop that sells Campagnolo components. If your
> local shop won't do it, several regulars on this newsgroup sell parts (and overhaul services) -
> see vecchios.com or yellowjersey.org
>
> --Paul

Thanks for the reply. After reading your instructions I think I'll take it to someone who has
smaller fingers and more patience than I, to do the repair.

John

"Jay Hill" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> The first thing I'd do is loosen the tension on the derailleur cable by unscrewing the barrel
> adjuster at the derailleur a turn or two.

I too thought it might be just a cable problem but if it upshifts too far (wants to go from 16 to 14
but drops to the 13 instead) the cable may need to be tightened, not loosened.

<humor>We're assuming it doesn't actually shift _to_ some position named "far"</humor>

It could alternately be the syndrome of an _extremely_ loose cable, such that the first click does
nothing, the second click makes the first shift, etc. It may also be a bent gear hanger.

Just "upshifts too much" doesn't really pin the problem down at all.

jm-<< When I upshift it shifts to far. To get the rear derailleur into the correct position all I
have to do is apply a little pressure on the thumb button and the chain is positioned on the
cassette correctly.

EC-RE-111 if the shifters are 1998/1999, little post on the spring carrier that breaks and makes for
what you are seeing. An overhaul of the lever is in order, the parts are cheap(springs are $4,
EC-RE-111 about $10, labor about $25)..Have a LBS that 'qui si parla Campagnolo' look at it or send
to me and I'll turn it aroiund in one day-