Comparing Fuji Roubaix1.0 and 2.0

liepies

Apr 11, 2010
Hi!

I would like someone with some experience with road bikes to please help me with this.
I want to buy a road bike that can last me at least 3-4 years.

I can get any of these models ( Fuji Roubaix 1.0 or 2.0 ) at a good price, but I am not sure if the more expensive one is worth the extra money.

I want to buy this bike mainly for exercise, but also, I would like to start doing some short triathlons. I would appreciate any advice on these two models.

The websites:

Fuji Bikes - Roubaix 1.0
Fuji Bikes - Roubaix 2.0

As far as I can see, the main differences are the SRAM and Shimano equipment on the bikes and also the wheelset.

Thanks!
Chris

Click this link for a side by side comparison:
BikePedia - Fuji Roubaix 1.0 vs 2.0

Racing advantages of the 1.0:
2 pounds lighter
better brakes
10 speed component group
39/53 crankset
better wheelset

For what you are gaining, the extra $325 (list price) of the 1.0 seems worthwhile for racing. Of course, a true "triathlon" bike might be more appropriate.

FWIW. If you are 'handy' (i.e., if you have tools & can do your own "maintenance") and you actually want the-most-bang-for-your-buck then 'I' definitely recommend that you choose the ROUBAIX 2.0 ...

I would EITHER set aside the difference for a future upgrade OR pull those Tiagra shifters off the bike & resell them on eBay ... then, replace them with a pair of non-QS Campagnolo shifters ($100+ to $400+ depending on the model you coose & whether you buy used or new -- you might as well buy the "new" style Veloce-or-better shifters for $180+) ...

Either Hubbub.com the rear derailleur cable anchoring connection to achieve 9-speed Shimano indexing with the 10-speed Campagnolo shifters OR replace the 9-speed Shimano rear derailleur with a 10-speed Shimano rear derailleur.

The minimum you'll sell a "new" pair of Tiagra shifters for will be $100 ...

So, figure you've still got $300 to spend on tires/tubes/whatever in the future.

My vote is for the roubaix 1.0 if you must get a fuji. I have last years Roubaix Pro and i can tell you the wheels suck (WHEELSET Alex ALX- 200, 700c clincher) are garbage find a bike shop that will buy these wheels back and put on some decent tires on them. Change the crankset (FSA Gossamer MegaExo w/ Integrated spindle, 39/53T 7075 AL rings) is horrible get shimano 105 /ultegra or Sram crankset. after you do that compare it to the Allez Elite Compact and see if the fuji is still a good deal.