comparing speedplay x/1, bebop deluxe, eggbeaters triple ti

cipher-<< . (BTW, I get my SpeedPlays free). ;) >><BR><BR>

Ya need to pay for your ISP...5 dupe posts...

I know, I know... (I was hoping all would let my mistake slip!)

Original post wouldn't send, so of course you must keep pounding the send button... :eek: (The icing on the cake? No post edit option).

Originally posted by Qui Si Parla Ca

Ya need to pay for your ISP...5 dupe posts...

QUOTE]

Originally posted by Adam Rush

You have *20* sets of Speedplay pedals???

QUOTE]

I wish! :D

I've been riding bebops since August and have had Zero problems with them. The deluxe vs the
standard stainless isn't worth the price. I like the fact that the cleat is lower profile than
speedplay. I picked up the cheaper SL ones, and have since landed a set of deluxes with cleats for
$65. The weight difference isn't worth the price difference. Also, I'm 205lbs and feared a Ti axle.
The deluxe weighs in at 240g for the pair with cleats and 180g without cleats. The SL's are 195
grams on my scale for the pedals. Hi-tech Bikes here in SD had them for $160 for the SL's. I think
the biggest advantage is the lower profile cleat, I've got them recessed on some shimano TO-92
touring shoes and they almost don't touch the ground. SPD's were the only cleat that was completely
rescessed but then I gave up float, and single sided spd's like you had are a pain to clip into as
they don't always end up facing up. I'll probably replace the spd's on my wifes bike as she's
learing of clipping in anyway.

--
Mark Wolfe http://www.wolfenet.org gpg fingerprint = 42B6 EFEB 5414 AA18 01B7 64AC EF46 F7E6 82F6
8C71 IBM: It may be slow, but it's hard to use.

I've been using BeBop pedals since June, during that time I've put more than 7000K on them generally
road, but I move them to my cross bike as well.

My results:

I started on SPD pedals, and after a short period of time hated the lack of float and the difficulty
getting in and out of the pedals. I started searching for a better solution. I wanted something with
more float, ease of entry and release and durability in the pedal and cleat.

Speedplay markets a heck of a lot, and they have a pretty good design. The problem I had with their
product was the lifespan of the bearings (which seemed relatively short) the size of their cleat and
its longevity due to walking.

Bebop was sued by Speedplay, additionally I've heard that speedplay tells is vendors if you carry
them, you won't carry us... common practise I hear in the bike business. This has greatly curtailed
their marketing and customer awareness.

I have now used my Bebops in everything from rain, mud, snow and anything else you can throw at
them. They are easy to get in and out of, shed mud and dirt and are an excellent road/cross/mountain
pedal . You know when you've clicked in and out, and best of all, you can rotate out and NOT have to
re-enter, rather you can just rotate back, and you're back in business.

I've never been stuck in them, the float is more than ample yet clickout is very easy. It does not
try to centre your foot, so you can keep any angle you wish. The stack height is very low, which
means you are very close to the axle of the pedal.

The cleats are very durable, I've walked on them many times, and other than being scratched they
look like they have several years of life left in them yet.

The bearings of the pedals are in immaculate condition, no wear, and no exposure to the elements
thanks to excellent seals and ample lubrication (original lube) being in the pedal. I am using the
basic model, and to save 20grams (about the weight of a pair of sunglasses) I am not going to spend
another $150.00 to have the high end version.

In conclusion:

For $120 you get a great pedal that is quite light, very durable and does the job no matter what
the conditions. In my mind, it exceeds speedplay as you're not paying double for their marketing
costs, its all metal and has no moving parts in the cleat mechanism, a great product which I
readily recomend.

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM! Download Spam Inspector, the Award Winning Anti-Spam Filter
http://mail.giantcompany.com

"Chalo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (dan baker) wrote:
>
> > so far, the only bad thing about the eggbeater triple ti is the price. any other comments?
>
> Ti pedal spindles are a bad idea. Like square taper bottom bracket spindles and threaded 1" fork
> steer tubes, 9/16"-20 threaded pedal spindles are sized to be *just big enough* to work reliably
> if they are made of good quality steel.
>
> Since titanium is weaker and much less stiff than good steel, components that substitute a solid
> Ti part for a solid steel one of equal size may be a little lighter, but are a lot less reliable.
>
> There is some relevant information at http://bebop.com/old%20web%20text/pages/appliedmata101.html
>
> Chalo Colina

---

"JayofMontreal" <[email protected]> wrote

>[Bebops are] a great product which I readily recomend.

I'm equally enthusiastic about my Bebops. Far superior to the Frogs they replaced. Since the Frogs
pretty much sucked for shedding mud/grit I'm pretty sure I would find the Speedplay road pedals
completely unacceptable for that reason, not to mention the monster cleat. I've often wondered why
I've never seen a pair of Bebops for sale in bike shops next to all the Speedplays...

I've not tried the beaters, but I'm so happy with my Bebops that I have absolutely no motivation to
try another pedal system. I like them so well that several years ago I bought a second set just in
case they went out of business.

I think Bebops are the best kept secret in cycling. I looked at coombe, but I couldn't justify 230
for a pedal with their massive cleat.

Now you know why you don't see both at the same place. The lawsuit had the effect of crippling
Bebop's ability to market, which is probably what the objective of the lawsuit was in the
first place.

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM! Download Spam Inspector, the Award Winning Anti-Spam Filter
http://mail.giantcompany.com

"Robert Canon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "JayofMontreal" <[email protected]> wrote
>
> >[Bebops are] a great product which I readily recomend.
>
> I'm equally enthusiastic about my Bebops. Far superior to the Frogs they replaced. Since the Frogs
> pretty much sucked for shedding mud/grit I'm pretty sure I would find the Speedplay road pedals
> completely unacceptable for that reason, not to mention the monster cleat. I've often wondered
why
> I've never seen a pair of Bebops for sale in bike shops next to all the Speedplays...
>
> I've not tried the beaters, but I'm so happy with my Bebops that I have absolutely no motivation
> to try another pedal system. I like them so well that several years ago I bought a second set just
> in case they went out of business.

---

Originally posted by JayofMontreal
I think Bebops are the best kept secret in cycling.

Based on the posts that I've read and their website, I bought the stainless Bebops sight unseen. My Shimano shoes needed to be trimmed for the pedal spindle ( the Bebop website said I'd need to do this) which took about 5-10 minutes per shoe -- pretty trivial task, but I took my time so that I wouldn't damage the sole of the shoe.
Clicking in is very easy (of course, I thought my old SPDs and my even older Times were easy). Knee surgery convinced me that float was good but I was a little worried about the "riding on ice cubes" feeling that I've seen mentioned. After riding the Bebops I notice the float but there isn't any concern at all about how well I'm clipped in. In other words, there isn't any "riding on ice cubes" feeling.

All in all I'm very pleased. The pedals appear to be well made and are easy to use.
As a side note I bought these from Universal Cycles since there were none available locally. The pedals were shipped immediately and arrived as advertised. Good service.

"artl" wrote
> Originally posted by JayofMontreal I think Bebops are the best kept secret in cycling.
>
> Clicking in is very easy...

Bebops are all I'll ride anymore, but I was reading about the Coombe pedals on roadbikereviews.com
or whatever. Everybody said that they compared favorably to the usual suspects Shimano, Speedplay,
Look, and Time but there was no mention of Bebops at all! I don't get it... Bebops have all the
advantages of the Coombes with the added advantage of easy, second nature clip-in, yet not one
person in15 or 20 reviews mentioned them.

Bebop's low profile in the marketplace is probably due to several reasons:

1. They were involved in a lawsuit with Speedplay see: http://www.ll.georgetown.edu/federal/judicial/fed/opinions/98opinions/98-
1527.html

2. From what I understand Speedplay tells distributors that if they carry Bebop's they won't be
carrying Speedplay.

The lawsuit is based on the fact that Speedplay says Bebop is infringing on their patent, the suit
was won by Bebop, however, they guy with the most money wins, and I'd imagine that Bebop was
probably injured financiallly (the joy of lawyers).

I have Bebops on all my bikes, and they kick Speedplay's butt. Real bearings instead of the crappy
undersized **** on speedplays. $20 cleats that last forever (even if you walk on pavement).

Its the ultimate proof that marketing works, as speedplay has an inferior product at a much
higher price.

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM! Download Spam Inspector, the Award Winning Anti-Spam Filter
http://mail.giantcompany.com

"Robert Canon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "artl" wrote
> > Originally posted by JayofMontreal I think Bebops are the best kept secret in cycling.
> >
> > Clicking in is very easy...
>
> Bebops are all I'll ride anymore, but I was reading about the Coombe
pedals
> on roadbikereviews.com or whatever. Everybody said that they compared favorably to the usual
> suspects Shimano, Speedplay, Look, and Time but
there
> was no mention of Bebops at all! I don't get it... Bebops have all the advantages of the Coombes
> with the added advantage of easy, second nature clip-in, yet not one person in15 or 20 reviews
> mentioned them.

---