Comparing two bikes

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by News.Gatech.Edu, May 8, 2003.

  1. I have narrowed down a search for a new comuting bike to a Trek 520 and a Novara Randonee. There
    seems to be a large price difference. Is the Treck work 300 dollars more?

    Which would be the best?

    Thanks Paul See similar Touring Bikes: Road

    Tags:

  2. Rich Clark

    Rich Clark Guest

    "news.gatech.edu" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have narrowed down a search for a new comuting bike to a Trek 520 and a Novara Randonee. There
    > seems to be a large price difference. Is the Treck work 300 dollars more?

    Each bike is worth its price, IMO. However, the Novara usually goes on sale once or twice a season
    and for $600-650 is something of a bargain.

    The most significant difference is where you buy them. Some REI stores have bike departments that
    are as good as most local bike shops in terms of fitting and service expertise. Others are
    apparently... less good. You buy a Trek at a Trek dealer, which will be a local bike shop that, if
    it's a decent one, whill probably have more experience at road bike fitting and is likely to be a
    better source for ongoing service and support.

    > Which would be the best?

    The Trek is a better bike in a number of ways. It comes in more sizes and is therefore more likely
    to fit more people. It has somewhat higher-grade drivetrain components, and a 9-speed drivetrain (vs
    Randonee's 8) with a little bit more range at the low end. It has bar-end shifters, which are often
    preferred by tourists (tastes vary). The Novara has Shimano Sora 8-speed shifter/brake levers, which
    are perfectly OK but not as bomb-proof or field serviceable as the bar-ends on the Trek.

    The Trek has a US-made frame guaranteed for life; the Novara has a Taiwan-made frame covered by
    REI's somewhat nebulous warranty terms (although I hasten to add that REI's warranty support of my
    own Novara Randonee has never been anything short of excellent).

    Both bikes come with good wheels, tires, stems, bars, headsets, etc.

    My 2000 Randonee has about 8000 miles on it and I have no reason to regret buying it. But at the
    time it was under $500 and the Trek was twice as much. Today, if it was $750 vs $1000, I'd buy the
    Trek if only because there are a lot more Trek dealers near me than REI stores.

    RichC