Compatability FAQ

Rodger

Guest
Is there a place on the FAQ for the various componentry compatability issues? Have looked without
success. Thanks.

Rodger

"Rodger" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Is there a place on the FAQ for the various componentry compatability issues? Have looked without
> success. Thanks.

One beautiful aspect of our industry is that creative minds from all over the world are continually
innovating. The greater bulk is of course **** like in anything else but that's were improvement is
winnowed from. Those who pine for a "simpler age" forget that these problems have always been with
us. The things we deal with change but the new parts don't work together any better than the old
parts did!

So, the short answer is "nowhere".

The internet has given us resources from, for example Mr Brown's yeomanlike and exhaustive pages
through manufacturer's (uneven quality) websites to specialty sites like John Dacey's track
reference. And this group is generally the best resource you have for those sorts of questions when
your own searches are fruitless.

(your "various componentry compatability issues" could span anythng from STi shifters with Shimano
MTB front changers to chain adjusters for 14mm freestyle hub axles - an impossibly broad mission!)

> Is there a place on the FAQ for the various componentry compatability issues? Have looked without
> success. Thanks.
>
> Rodger

There are enough variables that a complete listing would be googolish in size.

Ask a specific question, and you will probably get some reliable information here.

--
Ted Bennett Portland OR

Not a FAQ, but here's a particular item that may be useful, from HubBub Custom Bicycles in Ohio
(www.hubbub.com)

I am building two bikes, swapping parts and I recently found this: Campagnolo Ergopower with Shimano
9-Speed http://www.hubbub.com/ergoleverswshim9.htm

"Rodger" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Is there a place on the FAQ for the various componentry compatability issues? Have looked without
> success. Thanks.
>
> Rodger

The Campy 3x10 rear deraillleurs, 2002 Record Long and 2003 Centaur Long have longer cages than the
XT derailleur used in the hubbub fix. You start with 9sp levers not 10 and can shift Shimano
cassettes like the 12/34.