Compatability issues

Zugzwang

Jun 28, 2005
Hi, I am wondering if anybody can help me here. I want to buy a new chainset for my MTB, I have not bought anything for my bike in years and am now a bit confused at all the new bottom brackets and 9/10 speed systems. Here are my questions:

1, I have a BB mounted derailleur and want to convert to a seat tube mounted derailler, I am getting a new BB, do I get one with a bb mount or not - what effect will this have on the positioning of my chainset?

2, Is it worth getting an octalink BB?

3, I want to get a deore chainset, what length axle do I have to use, the current one on my bike is 110, octalink doesn't come in this size, 113 is the lowest!! Deore comes in both tapered and octalink, would the tapered one fit the 110? Which one will fit which axle size??? CONFUSING!!!!:confused:

4, are 9 speed chainsets and front derailleurs compatible with 8 speed chains?

5, What front derailleur will work with a 26 36 48 deore chainset (31.8 tube)?

I would be thankful for a heap of views on these questions. Thanks in advance!

Ian.

Zugzwang said:
Hi, I am wondering if anybody can help me here. I want to buy a new chainset for my MTB, I have not bought anything for my bike in years and am now a bit confused at all the new bottom brackets and 9/10 speed systems. Here are my questions:

1, I have a BB mounted derailleur and want to convert to a seat tube mounted derailler, I am getting a new BB, do I get one with a bb mount or not - what effect will this have on the positioning of my chainset?

2, Is it worth getting an octalink BB?

3, I want to get a deore chainset, what length axle do I have to use, the current one on my bike is 110, octalink doesn't come in this size, 113 is the lowest!! Deore comes in both tapered and octalink, would the tapered one fit the 110? Which one will fit which axle size??? CONFUSING!!!!:confused:

4, are 9 speed chainsets and front derailleurs compatible with 8 speed chains?

5, What front derailleur will work with a 26 36 48 deore chainset (31.8 tube)?

I would be thankful for a heap of views on these questions. Thanks in advance!

Ian.
1)Get a non E type BB. 2) I duno. 3) Get the BB that matches whatever crank you choose. 4)yes for the chainset,but 9 speed FD may cause shifting issues if used with the wider 8 speed chain. 5) there are lots of choices in either shimano or sram.