compatibility 7 spd cog with 8 spd sti

slowbutnotdead

Apr 18, 2009
Can I use an 8 speed sti shifter with the 7 speed rear cog? is the spacing the same and I will have an additional click on the shifters or will there be problems with derailuer alignment?:confused:

slowbutnotdead said:
Can I use an 8 speed sti shifter with the 7 speed rear cog? is the spacing the same and I will have an additional click on the shifters or will there be problems with derailuer alignment?:confused:
YES. The spacing of 7-speed & 8-speed cogs is close enough that you can use 8-speed indexed shifter with a 7-speed cassette-or-freewheel.

The indexing for 8-speed Shimano & 8-speed Campagnolo is very close, too; however, the Hi-Lo derailleur stops would be different.

Even though the spacing is technically different (4.8mm for 8s vs 5.0mm for 7s), it is close enough that it works fine. Set the RD limits first and use the low (largest rear cog) limit to lock out the 8th click. Then adjust the indexing from the middle rear cog.

slowbutnotdead said:
Yep, I did it for years before I went to free hub body hubs. I had 7sp Maillard and Shimano screw-on clusters with 8sp 105 levers.