Compatible? 53/39 11-32 XT Long cage

Mish

Feb 28, 2004
I would like to use Shimano 53/39 with a cassette of 11-32 and an XT long cage derailleur for a hilly ride. Some info states that the XT has a max of 44T and a cog of 34.

Mish said:
I would like to use Shimano 53/39 with a cassette of 11-32 and an XT long cage derailleur for a hilly ride. Some info states that the XT has a max of 44T and a cog of 34.
Your front chainring set-up should have nothing to do with your rear derailleur choice. The XT long cage will work fine with an 11-32 cassette. What front derailleur are you using?

Mish said:

I think you are referring to the "total capacity" (aka, "chain wrap") of the RD. This is the diff between the largest and smallest chainrings (14, in your case) and the diff between the largest and smallest cassette cogs (21, in your case) added together. So, 14 + 21 =35 - well within the capacity of the RD.

Ozark Bicycle said:
I think you are referring to the "total capacity" (aka, "chain wrap") of the RD. This is the diff between the largest and smallest chainrings (14, in your case) and the diff between the largest and smallest cassette cogs (21, in your case) added together. So, 14 + 21 =35 - well within the capacity of the RD.

Thank you for the reply. Sheldon Brown's site said my Ultegra RD should work with a 30 as the biggest cog. This would give me the range I'll need on the ride and I won't have to change derailleurs, only cassettes. That would be ideal because I won't need the 11-30 or 12-30 but a couple times a year.

Mish said:
Thank you for the reply. Sheldon Brown's site said my Ultegra RD should work with a 30 as the biggest cog. This would give me the range I'll need on the ride and I won't have to change derailleurs, only cassettes. That would be ideal because I won't need the 11-30 or 12-30 but a couple times a year.

Yep, the Ultegra RD will usually will work with a 30T cog. It doesn't wrap as much chain as the XT, but that shouldn't be an issue. The chain may hang a bit slack in the 39/11 (if sized to clear the 52/30), but, really, who cares?

Ozark Bicycle said:
Yep, the Ultegra RD will usually will work with a 30T cog. It doesn't wrap as much chain as the XT, but that shouldn't be an issue. The chain may hang a bit slack in the 39/11 (if sized to clear the 52/30), but, really, who cares?

You're right, I have no business being in the 39/11 anyway.
I checked out your business. Great idea. I've bought used bikes, parts, and built other bikes from used or online stuff. Some LBSs have a car repair attitude, like when I bring my truck in for brakes and I supply the parts.