Compatible: Ultegra 6500 Long Cage Rear Derailleur w/ Sora STI ?

rs

Guest
I have a low-end Road Bike (Giant OCR3) with Sora STI 8-speed shifters. Will
an Ultegra 9-speed 6500 rear derailleur work and work well with the Sora
8-speed shifters?

Also curious what a fair value is for the derailleur, used but working
perfectly and cosmetically a 9.

thanks to all

rs wrote:
> I have a low-end Road Bike (Giant OCR3) with Sora STI 8-speed
> shifters. Will an Ultegra 9-speed 6500 rear derailleur work and work
> well with the Sora 8-speed shifters?
>
> Also curious what a fair value is for the derailleur, used but working
> perfectly and cosmetically a 9.
>
> thanks to all

Yes - the derailleur would work fine. Unless your old rear derailleur is
broken, you won't notice a performance difference with the new derailleur.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Phil, so the fancy name and price tag get me nothing? I thought perhaps the
Ultegra would stay in adjustment and last longer?

thanks

Rick

In article <6Fk0f.2212$U%5.1800@lakeread05>,
[email protected] says...

rs wrote:
> Phil, so the fancy name and price tag get me nothing? I thought
> perhaps the Ultegra would stay in adjustment and last longer?

It looks nicer and is significantly lighter. It might last longer, but the
pulleys are generally the same. It should shift a little more crisply due
to tighter pivots and not using stamped sheet metal... they use aluminum
everywhere instead. The springs will be tighter, so you'll probably get
better shifting out of it, but in my experience the shifter masks the
differing feel of the derailleur.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Thanks, well if I get it cheap enough, why not?

In article <1Km0f.2538$U%5.886@lakeread05>,
[email protected] says...

>rs wrote:
>> Phil, so the fancy name and price tag get me nothing? I thought
>> perhaps the Ultegra would stay in adjustment and last longer?

>It looks nicer and is significantly lighter. It might last longer, but the
>pulleys are generally the same. It should shift a little more crisply due
>to tighter pivots and not using stamped sheet metal... they use aluminum
>everywhere instead. The springs will be tighter, so you'll probably get
>better shifting out of it, but in my experience the shifter masks the
>differing feel of the derailleur.
>
>--
>Phil, Squid-in-Training

"rs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Thanks, well if I get it cheap enough, why not?
>
> In article <1Km0f.2538$U%5.886@lakeread05>,
> [email protected] says...
>>
>>rs wrote:
>>> Phil, so the fancy name and price tag get me nothing? I thought
>>> perhaps the Ultegra would stay in adjustment and last longer?

>>It looks nicer and is significantly lighter. It might last longer, but
>>the
>>pulleys are generally the same. It should shift a little more crisply due
>>to tighter pivots and not using stamped sheet metal... they use aluminum
>>everywhere instead. The springs will be tighter, so you'll probably get
>>better shifting out of it, but in my experience the shifter masks the
>>differing feel of the derailleur.
>>
>>--
>>Phil, Squid-in-Training

Well the enjoyment may all be imaginary, but enjoyable none the less. I've
wasted $20 (and much more) on way sillier things.

In article <6_E0f.3839$U%5.1408@lakeread05>,
[email protected] says...

rs wrote:
> Well the enjoyment may all be imaginary, but enjoyable none the less.
> I've wasted $20 (and much more) on way sillier things.
>
> In article <6_E0f.3839$U%5.1408@lakeread05>,
> [email protected] says...
>>
>> "rs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> Thanks, well if I get it cheap enough, why not?

>> Then kudos to you! We hope you enjoy it.
>>
>> --
>> Phil, Squid-in-Training

Yeah, I know, right? Who *wouldn't* spend $20 on a cycling skinsuit with
four arms, legs, and two head holes, made for two people to wear at the same
time... very intimately?

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training (going a little far)

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
> Who *wouldn't* spend $20 on a cycling skinsuit with
> four arms, legs, and two head holes, made for two people to wear at the same
> time... very intimately?

Now *this* I gotta see. Pics? :^)

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu

All depends on who the other person you're sharing it with is.

In article <OfL0f.4377$U%5.1769@lakeread05>,
[email protected] says...