Competition Rollers

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by byron27, Jun 22, 2004.

  1. byron27

    byron27 Guest

    have been having a gander at the competition roller section on the
    bikecult site ( http://www.bikecult.com/works/rollers.html ) and it has
    renewed my interest in setting up some "goldsprint" contests in perth.
    Does anyone has any info on these rollers or anyone who makes, hires,
    sells them? How easy are they to make?

    thanks

  2. warrwych

    warrwych Guest

    byron27 wrote:
    > have been having a gander at the competition roller section on the
    > bikecult site ( http://www.bikecult.com/works/rollers.html ) and it has
    > renewed my interest in setting up some "goldsprint" contests in perth.
    > Does anyone has any info on these rollers or anyone who makes, hires,
    > sells them? How easy are they to make?
    > thanks

    How does roller racing work?? What are the rules of engagement, how are
    places determined, etc?? Looks like a lot of errrr FUN!!! :D

    --

  3. hippy

    hippy Guest

    warrwych wrote:
    > How does roller racing work?? What are the rules of engagement, how are
    > places determined, etc?? Looks like a lot of errrr FUN!!! :D

    Looking at the site, it appears that a couple of riders setup on the
    machines and then it's a sprint to cover 400 or 500m. The rollers are
    hooked to the distance scale that sits behind the riders and shows their
    progress over the distance. First one to get their arrow to the 500m
    mark wins the 'race'. I think they were doing this at the Bike Show in
    Melbourne last year (or the year before?).

    I'd like to see a similar one that compares cadence of two riders, for a
    pedal-rpm battle :)

    hippy

    --

  4. byron27

    byron27 Guest

    Yep, hippy has the right idea. I raced on them in Vienna a couple of
    years ago. The setup was in a pub and it was the best fun!. A sure
    winner if setup in pubs over here i reckon. For the record, i took an
    early lead in my race but the rapid cadence combined with a bellyful of
    beer had a little disagreement mid sprint and i was pipped by a teutonic
    viking lad on the line.

    Cadence would definitely add some spice!

    Hippy, did you see the size of the gearing some guys were winning with?
    63x17........now that is some development......

    Apparently the record for 500m is in the region of 14 seconds.
    120kph anyone??

    --

  5. warrwych

    warrwych Guest

    byron27 wrote:
    > Yep, hippy has the right idea. I raced on them in Vienna a couple of
    > years ago. The setup was in a pub and it was the best fun!. A sure
    > winner if setup in pubs over here i reckon. For the record, i took an
    > early lead in my race but the rapid cadence combined with a bellyful of
    > beer had a little disagreement mid sprint and i was pipped by a teutonic
    > viking lad on the line.
    > Cadence would definitely add some spice!
    > Hippy, did you see the size of the gearing some guys were winning with?
    > 63x17........now that is some development......
    > Apparently the record for 500m is in the region of 14 seconds.
    > 120kph anyone??

    Thanks Hippy and Byron27 - makes sense now ;-P

    Sounds like a heap of fun (beered up or not! hehehe). I am just imaging
    it at the local pub - I think u'd get guys in their kids peddle
    cars/trucks trying to run the rollerbike guys over!!!!!

    --

  6. hippy

    hippy Guest

    >Originally posted by byron27 Hippy, did you see the size of the gearing
    >some guys were >winning with? 63x17........now that is some
    >development......

    No, but, cool :) With no wind resistance and less rolling resistance,
    the disadvantage of having to start a large gear would be negated by the
    speed with which you could 'cross the line'.

    >Apparently the record for 500m is in the region of 14 seconds.
    >>120kph anyone??

    128.57.. those 8.57kph make all the difference.. ;-P

    Where did you hear/read/sight this record?

    You wouldn't want the rollers to suddenly seize would you?!? :S

    hippy

    --

  7. byron27

    byron27 Guest

    wrote:
    > Where did you hear/read/sight this record?

    Based upon the times listed on the bikecult site. The best time i saw
    was approx. 14 seconds.

    Now, if we can only get Sean Eddie and Shane Kely set up on one of those
    machines........that is a contest i would pay good money to see!!

    I have this vision of smoke appearing from the back of the rollers and
    the little dials flying around at the speed of light!

    --

  8. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    > Sounds like a heap of fun (beered up or not! hehehe). I am just imaging
    > it at the local pub - I think u'd get guys in their kids peddle
    > cars/trucks trying to run the rollerbike guys over!!!!!

    Chanell 7's World of Sport on a Sunday morning (way back when) used to
    have a roller competition each week, along with the woodchop
    competition. Those were the token efforts in order to claim World of
    Sport rather than World of Football. But as a kid I used to love the
    roller competition (and the totally crappy prizes the winner would get).
    DaveB

  9. Rod White

    Rod White Guest