Competition Spikes for XC and the Mile

Pensmom4

Guest
To anyone this may concern (who knows that they're talking
about that
is),

I am a competitive male highschool track runner and am also
seriously into cross country running. I wear a size 10 shoe
in men's. In track, I run the mile and I am going to try to
do the 800, but the 800 might not happen this year. I have
looked into the nike kennedy's, the kennedy xc, and the new
nike miler shoe which is supposed to be awesome, but the
only one that it seems will work in the mile and the 800 is
the miler shoe. I've also seen the Mizuno's, but sadly I
know little about them and I don't want to make a mistake
I'll regret later in getting them. I'd like to use the shoe
for cross country as well so I don't have to go out and buy
new shoes when cross country conditioning starts in a couple
months. I know there's other athletes with the same dilema
and I bet at least one of you guys out there has found a
solution...Can the Kennedy's (or Kennedy xc) work for both
sports, or is there another shoe which will do both
tasks...or am I doomed to buy two pairs of spikes??? Well,
thanks for reading up and I hope some of you guys are up to
the challenge of answering.

Sincerely, Johnny

"pensmom4" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> To anyone this may concern (who knows that they're talking
> about that
> is),
<snip>

Lyndon should be able to help you with this. Look for a
reply from him.

cheers,
--
David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org "The most
insecure people are the ones you see, putting other people

The Kennedy's are probably your best bet as they are great
for anything from 400m up to 5km on the track and you can
screw in longer spikes and run 8 to 10km x-country in them
without a problem. I haven't tried the miler but have heard
mixed reviews regarding the comfort of the plate. The
Kennedy x-country spike is excellent as well but maybe a
little heavy for the 800m and mile compared the straight
Kennedy's. I would recommend the Kennedy's over any other
for that range of events you have chosen.

I own: Kennedy's- use them for 800, 1500, 3km, 5km, flat x-
coutry courses. X-country Kennedy's- use them for rough x-
country courses. Jasari Plus- use them for 800m.

>I am a competitive male highschool track runner and am also
>seriously into cross country running. I wear a size 10 shoe
>in men's. In track, I run the mile and I am going to try to
>do the 800, but the 800 might not happen this year. I have
>looked into the nike kennedy's, the kennedy xc, and the new
>nike miler shoe which is supposed to be awesome, but the
>only one that it seems will work in the mile and the 800 is
>the miler shoe. I've also seen the Mizuno's, but sadly I
>know little about them and I don't want to make a mistake
>I'll regret later in getting them. I'd like to use the shoe
>for cross country as well so I don't have to go out and buy
>new shoes when cross country conditioning starts in a
>couple months. I know there's other athletes with the same
>dilema and I bet at least one of you guys out there has
>found a solution...Can the Kennedy's (or Kennedy xc) work
>for both sports, or is there another shoe which will do
>both tasks...or am I doomed to buy two pairs of spikes???
>Well, thanks for reading up and I hope some of you guys are
>up to the challenge of answering.

Well, at this years World Indoor Championships, Gail Deavers
was seen running the 60 meter hurdles, in the finals....in
the Kennedy XC. No Kidding. Apparently, she was packing so
much speed that she was afraid of running into hurdles, so
she actually raced in a distance spike. The Kennedy XC is
designed for XC and indoor/outdoor track, and the others you
mentioned really are not.

In mixing cross country and track, you have to be careful
with a track-only shoe in cross because of the tougher
demands on the shoe. They came out with the Kennedy XC
because a bunch of people started using the Kennedy for XC,
but I don't think I'd want to use either the original
Kennedy or Miler in a wet, muddy cross country course.

The Kennedy XC is an ounce or two heavier, so it might cost
you a second or two in a mile. If you get to be a senior and
you're chasing a scholarship or a chance to run in college,
you might consider the Miler as a race-only shoe. But the
Kennedy XC probably fits what you are looking for best. I
have some kids on my high school team that are using the
Kennedy XC for track--these are mostly 1600/3200 types.

Also, the reviews of both the Miler and the Maxcat have not
been that good. There seems to be an issue with the strike
plate, which in the Miler and the Eldoret II runs the full
length of the shoe. These are new shoes this year, and the
wise choice might be to wait a year before buying the Miler
to let them resolve the issue. Personally, I bought two of
the discontinued JSCs in January at close-out prices
(Eastbay) to avoid the Maxcat. You can also (still) buy the
Jasari P from Eastbay at closeout prices.

Some mid distance people are looking at the Zoom Lanang,
which is actually a steeple spike, but weighs the same
as the Miler and does not appear to have the strike
plate issues.

Lyndon

"Speed Kills...It kills those that don't have it!" --US
Olympic Track Coach Brooks Johnson