Complete Beginner! Interested In A Road Bike For My Husband.

Jennifer Abernathy

Apr 13, 2015
Hi everyone! My husband and I are going to be moving in the next month, and luckily for him we're moving very close to his new job. I'm interested in possibly getting him a road bike so that he can bike to and from work, but I really have no idea where to begin. I'm reading through these forums and you are providing great advice! He'll only be about 1.5 miles from his job if that helps. Thanks!

Well, I would simply go to a bike shop and see what your husband likes. I am sure that there will be plenty of helpful staff who will answer all your questions about the particular bike or bikes that your husband feels attracted to. When I needed a new bike last year I had an idea what I wanted but it wasn't completely clear until I actually saw the bike that I finally bought. Mind you, it went through a few minor modifications, but it was and is the best bike for me. Good luck with choosing the right one for you. :)

For 1.5 miles almost any reliable bike would do, even a hybrid or comfort vs a road bike. That said if he is also interested in biking as a hobby I second going to a bike shop and getting a starter bike and equipment that way. It probably doesn't make sense to heavily invest in gear if it really is just to get the 1.5 miles, but biking can be quite addictive!

1.5 miles... I could WALK (or run) that. Heck, I ran home from work one day, about 16.5 miles.

Seriously though, just about any bike can fit that bill and be an easy 8 minute ride in, at most. If the goal is just the commute then don't overspend but get a good solid commuter bike. If your hubby thinks it could become more of a hobby then look for a bike that will fit his needs.

You say your interested in getting your husband a bike, I'm assuming that he's stated he wants one, or is this your subtle way of telling him to lose weight? Haha.

As others have said, 1.5 miles is nothing and any sort of bike should be able to manage that distance there and back, so just finding a bike he's comfortable on is the main thing.