Complete newb and problems already!!

ricpamiwor

Mar 12, 2007
Hi people,

I've just started commuting to work with my new Dawes Discovery 301 bike. I'm really enjoying but I'm having a problem which I just can't fix.

This weekend I bought some new tougher tyres for my bike because I kept getting punctures (another matter!). When I removed my rear wheel (quick release) I didn't loosen the brakes (v-brakes) and Ijust literally yanked it out. When I put it back I realised that I needed to loosen the brakes in order to fit the wheel back on. I managed this fine and even worked out how to straighten the brake pads with a 2mm gap. My problem is that now my creaks an awful lot when I'm riding. For instance the creaking only happens when I'm sat on it not when I just spin the wheel freely. It may be something to do with the gears as I don't really remember what gear the bike was in when I removed the chain.

Does anyone know what the problem could be? Sorry for being vague but I'm new to all this. Here's a link to my bikes product page if it helps: http://www.dawescycles.com/dawes/discovery301.htm

Thanks in advance.

Creaking does not always come from the part of the bike that you suspect. The fact that you removed and replaced the wheel might be irrelevant, check the saddle and bottom bracket.

Dondare said:
Creaking does not always come from the part of the bike that you suspect. The fact that you removed and replaced the wheel might be irrelevant, check the saddle and bottom bracket.
What is the bottom bracket? Sorry but I did warn you. ;)

I've managed to discern that it's when I put weight on the right pedal that it creaks a lot. Is that something to do with the bottom bracket? :eek:

Possible. Take it to the shop and have them service it. Since you're there tell them to show you how to safely remove wheels for tube changes, since they way you described is not quite correct (you don't need to disassemble the breaks to remove the wheel...just "unhook" them.

cheers

Check that the wheel is properly aligned in the frame dropouts and that the QR skewer is tight enough to hold it there.

It's definitely the bottom bracket as I can feel a bit give when I pull the pedals apart and it creaks a lot then. The bikes manual does say to check the bottom bracket after 2 weeks cycling (it's been about that long) so it's a safe bet that it's that.

Thanks though.