Complete newbie needs some help

maxwolfie

May 22, 2007
Hi, I came across this forum from a google search, looks like a pretty good MTB community. So hi :)

Anyways getting to the point: I'm looking to buy a good MTB in Sydney but have not much of an idea as to what brand or model. I would like a solid all-rounder, and something that is pretty sturdy for small jumps and fooling around in the street. I used to have a full chromoly BMX that I took down to Bass Hill jumps however it seems as though most bikes these days are made of alloy only.

I have been to the 4 main bike shops in North Parramatta - Bike Barn, Bikes R Us, Pedals Plus & Blackmans.

The brands that I am interested in are Giant and Learsport. There are others on offer, such as Advanti and some other brands, but I have not heard much about them and build quality seems to be a little suss.

In regards to specific models, the Giant Boulder and Learsport TR3270 are within my price range (Up to $500, there are some 3270's on special for $525.....) The Boulder is only $425

The man at Pedals Plus seemed quite honest and cluey, which is why I am looking into Learsport further. Where are they made? What's the quality like? Has anyone had any experience with the TR3270, or can anyone recommend something different?

Help me decide on a brand, model and where to buy as I have no idea. I already have a helmet

TR3270.jpg

^^ TR3270

boulder.jpg

^^ Giant boulder

The frame should have a sticker as to where made.
Giant is a Taiwanese company but check the frame anyway as at this price point you never know.
Unfortunately you won't get anything for $500 Australian dollars that will handle much jumping.
I would look for the strongest wheels followed by the strongest fork as these will probably fail first. Look for a casette type rear hub rather than a spin on cluster as this places the bearings further apart and creates a stronger hub. I have seen many axles bend in spin ons.
How long a $500 bike will last will depend on how light you can land.
Find a shop you can trust and and tell them what you want to do but don't be surprised if they recommend spending $1000 Austrailian plus to get what you need. In the long run it will probably work out cheaper because you won't be forking out for repairs nearly as much.
Probably not what you wanted to hear but thems the facts.

maxwolfie said:
The brands that I am interested in are Giant and Learsport. There are others on offer, such as Advanti and some other brands, but I have not heard much about them and build quality seems to be a little suss.

In regards to specific models, the Giant Boulder and Learsport TR3270 are within my price range (Up to $500, there are some 3270's on special for $525.....) The Boulder is only $425
I'd go with the Learsport...can't beat the build...double walled rims, Deore drive train, 27 speeds, and a not-too-bad fork with a lock out to help on those climbs

The Boulder is an entry level hardtail with inexpensive components and a so-so frame

Happy Trails

JM01 said:
I'd go with the Learsport...can't beat the build...double walled rims, Deore drive train, 27 speeds, and a not-too-bad fork with a lock out to help on those climbs

Hmmm. Not sure that under $600 you'd get a bike suitable for bumping and jumping around. I'd really, really work toward getting something around $1,000, either GIANT or something similar. My Avanti Aggressor Pro (1993) model was sold recently; it's alloy T7 frame was of an outstanding quality, particularly the flawless joins. Like my current GIANT 2007 Talon, the Avanti had a simple trouble-free Deore LX drivetrain that took repeated hidings over the years but always shifted without trouble; as this is where much of the wear and tear takes place pay attention to the mid-range transmissions, of which Deore LX is one.

Years ago I steered well clear of anything made in China/Taiwan. Fast forward 15 years, and after riding a pro-series racer and then a pro-series MTB (both GIANT) that perception changed forever, as did buying virtually everything that has a "Made in China" tag on it!! We gotta get used to it. Australia has sold out! :(

Garyh_GONP07 said:
Hmmm. Not sure that under $600 you'd get a bike suitable for bumping and jumping around. I'd really, really work toward getting something around $1,000, either GIANT or something similar. My Avanti Aggressor Pro (1993) model was sold recently; it's alloy T7 frame was of an outstanding quality, particularly the flawless joins. Like my current GIANT 2007 Talon, the Avanti had a simple trouble-free Deore LX drivetrain that took repeated hidings over the years but always shifted without trouble; as this is where much of the wear and tear takes place pay attention to the mid-range transmissions, of which Deore LX is one.

Years ago I steered well clear of anything made in China/Taiwan. Fast forward 15 years, and after riding a pro-series racer and then a pro-series MTB (both GIANT) that perception changed forever, as did buying virtually everything that has a "Made in China" tag on it!! We gotta get used to it. Australia has sold out! :(
Its all a question of economics...we still have a few bikes made in Canada (Davinci, Opus, Cervelo, etc), but most of the high volume mfg's have moved off-shore, except for Dorel, which makes (assembles) dept store bikes.

The quality of materials and workmanship has vastly improved in Taiwan...not so sure about China. My new Treks are nothing like the old Treks, but companies like Specialized has made huge improvements since moving to Taiwan.

You shouldn't worry about the Shimano components...they're all great, even the SIS works well. On the ascending price scale, Deore-LX-XT-XTR...I'm not sure that most would appreciate the difference, especially taking that huge price leap from XT to XTR. I have an XT build on one bike, Deore on another, and LX on a third...I really can't tell the difference as all are dialed in precisely.

See...(can you tell which is the Deore?)

I also have bikes with Deore through to XT components.
Although all work well there is a noticible difference in longevity.
Deore wheel cones appear weak as both my sons bike and my Deore bike don't get much more than 5000km out of cones (one front wheel only lasted about 3000km). Chains and sprockets also last longer as you go up the scale and the sealing of hubs etc gets better.
I realise this is off track to the original thread but thought you might be interested.
cheers