Complete noob looking for a decent Mountain Bike

Flogger

Apr 9, 2005
Hey cyclingforums people! I know NOTHING about bicycles, but I'm looking to make a purchase for myself and for my mom for her birthday. I had a friend (haven't talked to him in years) that purchased a bike for around 2,000 bucks and at the time he would always talk about the class of each invidual parts and there were certain parts that you would want the best class of and stuff. Obviously I don't really remember how the classing went or even why it matters.

But basically I'd rather not spend more than 400 bucks for each mountain bike. I visited a few local places but they really weren't that much help so I'm still in the dark and that's why I'm here.

So if anybody could give me suggestions of maybe brand or what to look for I would GREATLY appreciate it.

First off, I'd look to save up an additional $100 or so. The difference in the bikes in that range can be pretty big. Namely in the fact that you would get a better fork and probably mostly Deore instead of the lower end ****.

Gary Fisher Tassajarra is a soild bike. Giant Iguana is ok. Check MTBR.com for bike reviews and trails near you.

The most expensive, highest level (XTR, X.0) are nice, but definately not a necessity. You can do quite a lot with $500 hardtail. Its the motor, not the bike.

Hey. I think you should check out the Norco Mountaineer, Pinnacle, or Scorcher. Also Specialized Hardrocks are good too.

Super Otaku said:
Hey. I think you should check out the Norco Mountaineer, Pinnacle, or Scorcher. Also Specialized Hardrocks are good too.
i have a 03 hardrock pro that ive only ridden on my local trail twice that i will sell for 350 firm, it was originally bought for 550

lmk, -tyler:)