Complete re-do, Trek 720 MT.

BHOFM

Aug 8, 2010
Some may remember the old 720 Multi Track I bought last spring. Yard sale bike.

Well I rode it 8300 miles this summer and loved every minute on the bike.

So I decided to make it new.

Wheels, tires, chaining, cassette, chain, all the bearings, complete new brakes, cables
shifters, housings, BB, Only the frame, fork, seat post and handle bars and stem are
left. Of course it got new tubes as well. And pedals. I did reuse the bottle cages.
And new FD and RD. The paint is nice and the decals are all intact, So just a good
cleaning and some wax.

All the parts were NOS take off stuff from the LBS. It is a 7X3 now with a cassette instead
of the freewheel 6X3.

I know I am over in the bike, but I don't plan on selling it in the next twenty years, then I may
redo it again.

About fifty miles so far and it is a dream. I went from 700CX35 to 700CX28, Vittoria,

I have had several comments on the bike already. Can't wait for warm weather and take
in out for a 100 miler.

Its been a while - good to have you back.

The seat tilt on the pic above looks pretty extreme - do you ride with it like that?

Originally Posted by maydog .

Its been a while - good to have you back.

The seat tilt on the pic above looks pretty extreme - do you ride with it like that?
My junk went to sleep just looking at that.

Thanks for the replies.

If you look, there is a reflection on the seat, it is not that steep.

I do ride with it up just a bit. No problems, if I tilt it back it feels like
I am going to slide forward all the time.

Thanks again.

Very Nice!

I share your interest ...

My 1990 MTB (how things have changed!) that now functions as a nice cross trainer with this wheelset and an XC /off-road ride with the knobby set. Still in great condition despite some endos, flips and flops. Lugged, well built frames. Fun bike ... still.

what year is your 720? I have a '98 that I've had since new and only changed the tires/tubes, the front wheel, brake pads and the rear grip shift. I still really like the grip shift. Oh, and I changed out the post and seat. I got it with the integrated shock absorber - what a piece of **** that was - and heavy too. I still ride in on foggy/rainy days.

hello from dallas texas!!!! about 2 months ago i bought the same bike as you have at a yard sale for 2 dollars cash sale. people were moving back to london and needed it gone so i grabbed it. the only thing wrong was the handle bar grips had turned to a mushy gooy rubber goe. i took a knife and scraped it off and wrapped it with an old inner tubethat i salvaged. bike runs great. all gears good. tires still good but starting to show age. i left it out in the hot dallas sun 108 degrees that day and front tire was flat. tube blew right by the valve.. i rode it to the store a few times and is a great hauler for groceries.im really used to a racing type bike, have a fugi allegro with a small frame .high seat. im 6 foot. its fast. i gonna sell the trek but like i said its exactly the same as yours in the picture you have. cheers mike