Completed 18 Miler No sweat :) 1st timer Sorry!

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by RCase, Sep 1, 2004.

  1. RCase

    RCase Guest

    I am running the Quad Cities Marathon in Moline(and Surrounding
    areas.. hence the Quad Cities), IL on September 26th.

    This will be my first marathon, and I have worked very hard, and am
    very excited.

    My question is should I try to get one more long run in? I was fine,
    and even sprinted the last 1/4 mile of my run, on sunday. My legs/body
    have recovered completely after 2 days of rest. I think im doing
    pretty good? (Im only 22 though! :)
    Also noted I have not had any injuries during the training(except a
    sprained ankle when drinking....:) )

    So once again, should I just taper down the last 4 weeks, or do you
    think I need to make a 20 mile run. I just cant see the major
    difference between the 2. I feel if i was able to complete this run
    with a 3:39 pace (going by my split) , and my goal was 4 hours, i can
    always just slow down some at the end?

    Thanks in advance!

    Hope I see someone from the group during the Race!

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, RCase wrote:
    > So once again, should I just taper down the last 4 weeks, or do you
    > think I need to make a 20 mile run. I just cant see the major
    > difference between the 2. I feel if i was able to complete this run
    > with a 3:39 pace (going by my split) , and my goal was 4 hours, i can
    > always just slow down some at the end?

    I think if you can do 18 miles at 3:39 minutes per mile, you don't
    need to bother with doing the 20 miler to make sure you meet your
    4 hour goal. Good luck :)

    Paul

  3. Dan Stumpus

    Dan Stumpus Guest

    RCase wrote:

    > This will be my first marathon, and I have worked very hard, and am
    > very excited.

    Great! After 25 years of racing, I still get all excited about my next big
    one.

    > My question is should I try to get one more long run in? I was fine,
    > and even sprinted the last 1/4 mile of my run, on sunday. My legs/body
    > have recovered completely after 2 days of rest. I think im doing
    > pretty good? (Im only 22 though! :)

    Being 22 means you recover fast, and injuries heal fast. Just don't feel
    invulnerable and push it!

    BTW, most experienced racers don't end a run going real fast. They throw
    moves into the middle, and give themselves time to warm down. Save the
    sprint at the end stuff for the race :)

    > So once again, should I just taper down the last 4 weeks, or do you
    > think I need to make a 20 mile run. I just cant see the major
    > difference between the 2. I feel if i was able to complete this run
    > with a 3:39 pace (going by my split) , and my goal was 4 hours, i can
    > always just slow down some at the end?

    I ran some pretty strong marathons (6:00 pace) and only occasionally ran
    longer than 18 miles. You're tapered for the race, so the extra distance is
    no sweat if you've gotten your mileage base and shorter races in.

    I think a four week taper is silly. You'll start getting out of shape. 10
    days is sufficient, and a medium long run 7 or 8 days before the race is
    good for you. Here's how I'd do it, although there are as many taper
    techniques as runners:

    I'd do another 18-ish one on the 12th. Don't try to race it. Pace it so
    that you're still strong (not bashed) at the end.

    Then a 70% week from the 13th to the 17th.

    Then a 12 miler (not too fast, but not dogging it) on the 18th, take a day
    or two off, then easy tues and wed, and Thursday, ramping the mileage down
    to 3 or so on Thursday. If you do any speedwork, do a 3-4 30 second pickups
    (not sprints!) on Thursday. Then you're done. Eat, relax, don't do
    anything physical the day before the race. You'll gain a few lbs, but a lot
    of it will be extra glycogen stores.

    The first few miles should feel too easy. That's normal. They get harder
    and harder as the end approaches. If you still feel good at 20, then pick
    it up there. Normally, if you're running at your capacity, you're pretty
    tired and starting to hurt at 20 -- just hang in there and maintain your
    pace.

    Good luck, and let us know how you do. Oh, how many miles/week have you
    been doing for how long, and have you run any 5k or 10k races during your
    built-up, and in what times?

    -- Dan

  4. >So once again, should I just taper down the last 4 weeks, or do you
    >think I need to make a 20 mile run.

    That depends, how often have you been doing a 20 miler? Weekly? Monthly? Was it
    your first ever 20 miler? If you've been doing it weekly then do it up until a
    week or 2 before the race. The last week taper.
    If however it was your first-ever 20 miler, you should probably not repeat it
    before the race. You may THINK you've recovered, but the body's a surprising
    thing, and you may not feel it, but you haven't recovered completely.

    >2. I feel if i was able to complete this run
    >with a 3:39 pace (going by my split) , and my goal was 4 hours, i can
    >always just slow down some at the end?

    The last part of your last sentance "i can always just slow down some at the
    end?" has caused more people to DNF than any other phrase in marathoning. If
    you do, you'll likely be one of those guys around miles 20 to 24 who are laying
    on the side of the road awaiting help, as guys like me (never DNF a race or
    marathon) run by laughing (well, inside anyways). Save it for the last few
    miles.

  5. > I still get all excited about my next big
    >one.

    Is that when you hump someones leg? But I frankly doubt you still get erections
    at your age.

  6. RCase

    RCase Guest

    > In article <[email protected]>, RCase wrote:
    > > So once again, should I just taper down the last 4 weeks, or do you
    > > think I need to make a 20 mile run. I just cant see the major
    > > difference between the 2. I feel if i was able to complete this run
    > > with a 3:39 pace (going by my split) , and my goal was 4 hours, i can
    > > always just slow down some at the end?

    > I think if you can do 18 miles at 3:39 minutes per mile, you don't
    > need to bother with doing the 20 miler to make sure you meet your
    > 4 hour goal. Good luck :)
    >
    > Paul

    I meant my pace is for a 3:39 Marathon, not a 3:39 mile (IE 3 hours,
    39 minutes? lol :)

    I wish :)

  7. RCase

    RCase Guest

    "Dan Stumpus" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > RCase wrote:
    >
    > > This will be my first marathon, and I have worked very hard, and am
    > > very excited.

    > Great! After 25 years of racing, I still get all excited about my next big
    > one.
    >
    > > My question is should I try to get one more long run in? I was fine,
    > > and even sprinted the last 1/4 mile of my run, on sunday. My legs/body
    > > have recovered completely after 2 days of rest. I think im doing
    > > pretty good? (Im only 22 though! :)

    > Being 22 means you recover fast, and injuries heal fast. Just don't feel
    > invulnerable and push it!
    >
    > BTW, most experienced racers don't end a run going real fast. They throw
    > moves into the middle, and give themselves time to warm down. Save the
    > sprint at the end stuff for the race :)

    Sorry its a habit, I have always been a big "kicker" at the end of a
    race. When i was little , my dad always encouraged how many positions
    I can pick up at the end. I usually pick up 30-50 places in the BIX 7
    on the last straight... :)

    > > So once again, should I just taper down the last 4 weeks, or do you
    > > think I need to make a 20 mile run. I just cant see the major
    > > difference between the 2. I feel if i was able to complete this run
    > > with a 3:39 pace (going by my split) , and my goal was 4 hours, i can
    > > always just slow down some at the end?

    > I ran some pretty strong marathons (6:00 pace) and only occasionally ran
    > longer than 18 miles. You're tapered for the race, so the extra distance is
    > no sweat if you've gotten your mileage base and shorter races in.

    I feel confident that with nutrients and liquids i should finish fine.
    I just didnt thinkg running a long run at this point (20+) would do
    anything but make me more worn down for the big day.

    > I think a four week taper is silly. You'll start getting out of shape. 10
    > days is sufficient, and a medium long run 7 or 8 days before the race is
    > good for you. Here's how I'd do it, although there are as many taper
    > techniques as runners:
    >
    > I'd do another 18-ish one on the 12th. Don't try to race it. Pace it so
    > that you're still strong (not bashed) at the end.

    Ill do that, i feel comfortable, i actually run across the the bridges
    for the race on my 18 miler, so that will be more encouragement. :)
    Ill try again on the 12th.

    > Then a 70% week from the 13th to the 17th.
    >
    > Then a 12 miler (not too fast, but not dogging it) on the 18th, take a day
    > or two off, then easy tues and wed, and Thursday, ramping the mileage down
    > to 3 or so on Thursday. If you do any speedwork, do a 3-4 30 second pickups
    > (not sprints!) on Thursday. Then you're done. Eat, relax, don't do
    > anything physical the day before the race. You'll gain a few lbs, but a lot
    > of it will be extra glycogen stores.
    >
    > The first few miles should feel too easy. That's normal. They get harder
    > and harder as the end approaches. If you still feel good at 20, then pick
    > it up there. Normally, if you're running at your capacity, you're pretty
    > tired and starting to hurt at 20 -- just hang in there and maintain your
    > pace.
    >
    > Good luck, and let us know how you do. Oh, how many miles/week have you
    > been doing for how long, and have you run any 5k or 10k races during your
    > built-up, and in what times?

    I have been training consitently since early June. I was already
    running 10 milers at that point, as I run the Quad CIties BIX 7 road
    race every year. Earlier in the year i was posting on hear about
    running a PR for the race, and recieved tons of negative feedback :( ,
    as it turned out , i was unable to run due to a wedding (first time in
    9 years!) , but was still able without intensive training to run the
    official traingin runs at 51:00 for a hellacious 7 miler.

    I am running a couple charity races in next weekend. (5k) , that
    should be fairly fun.

    I will definately post my results, im soo excited!

    Im running in memory of a local woman that went to my church that
    recently lost her battle with cancer. The entire congregation is
    signing a t-shirt that i will wear during the race. :) , then i have
    someone from above helping out i suppose!

    thanks guys!

    > -- Dan

  8. >then i have
    >someone from above helping out i suppose!

    You just alienated half of this NG with that part. God is dead, we all know it.

  9. rick++

    rick++ Guest

    > So once again, should I just taper down the last 4 weeks, or do you
    > think I need to make a 20 mile run. I just cant see the major
    > difference between the 2. I feel if i was able to complete this run
    > with a 3:39 pace (going by my split) , and my goal was 4 hours, i can
    > always just slow down some at the end?

    You should try to stay slower at the beginning to keep your energy up.
    Its easy to get caught up in the excitement of the race and run faster
    than you had planned.