Completely lost

Trenteg11

Apr 21, 2016
Hey, I recently have become interested in beginning to cycle. As I've began to ride my dirt bike more, I've wished that I had something I was allowed to ride anywhere, especially trails where dirt bikes aren't permitted. I'll mostly be using it for trail riding and some road riding. In this video (
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
) starting around the 8 min mark, he's riding the type of bike I think I'm interested in. However, I have no idea what it's called or how much it'll cost. Any help is appreciated.

OK, so I came here thinking this was bicycle related, but it's motorbike, so I really cannot give advice here.

OK, so I came here thinking this was bicycle related, but it's motorbike, so I really cannot give advice here.
I'm not talking about the dirt bikes/ motorbikes. If you fast forward the video to 8 minutes, there's a group of them riding bicycles-no motors.

I believe that what you were looking for was a "Full Suspension 29er" but on the sort of trails that they were riding on I would suggest what is called a "hard tail 29er." . Those trails were not extreme enough to require rear suspension and it is a whole lot more expensive and also is significantly heavier and so a lot slower on climbs and a pain in the butt on roads.

I believe that what you were looking for was a "Full Suspension 29er" but on the sort of trails that they were riding on I would suggest what is called a "hard tail 29er." . Those trails were not extreme enough to require rear suspension and it is a whole lot more expensive and also is significantly heavier and so a lot slower on climbs and a pain in the butt on roads.
thanks; do you have any specific recommendations? I'd like to spend less than $500 USD, but if it would make a significant difference, I could probably do a bit more.

thanks; do you have any specific recommendations? I'd like to spend less than $500 USD, but if it would make a significant difference, I could probably do a bit more.

If you get an aluminum framed bike with a Rock Shox or equivalent front fork you should be able to find something within your price range. While weight is a consideration, for someone that hasn't been riding for more than two or three years it would make little to no difference.

That's a big truth. For relative beginners the weight or other variables really don't make a difference, those concerns come only later on.

For a newbie to dirt bike riding, I think it's important to not get too caught up with the technical aspects of the bike, just get a cheap one that you can thrash around on and have fun. Balance, grip, knowing how far to push yourself and the bike is the most important things to learn at first, and you will come off, probably a few times, so get used to that aswell, haha.

Regarding the coming off part, you font want to be throwing a $500+ bike around so only look at the hight range of bikes when you've mastered the control needed when riding the trails. That's what I did anyway, and it was only after a good 6 or 8 months that I finally upgraded to a decent dirt bike.