Completely New to Training

Jupiter1

Feb 10, 2013
Hi folks,

I've been roped into a cycle tour of the southern French coast in 6 months and am really not in shape for that. I've realised I'm a 'Clydesdale' in terms of cycling: I'm a 6-foot tall 23-year old male of heavy build, weighing 95 kg. I have a Carrera Subway bike and I want to get into shape by September for this trip to France, but I have no idea how to go about it. Is it simply a case of cycling loads of miles every week, interspersed with dumbbell squats for my legs and lower back / core exercises? What is a good diet for a cyclist in training too? I'm quite keen on porridge and fruit...

Basically the initial few rides will be a pain. But if you carry on you will get used to it and probably start to like it.

After a while you will probably be able to cycle as many miles as you want as long as you dont get into the "work out" zone. (something about the types of muscles involved). As long as you are using the fat-burning ones, like the ones for every day activity you can just cycle and cycle without getting exausted. But if you use the other ones, the sugar-burning ones, the ones for above average effort you will start getting tired.

Ofcourse some other stuff might get tired, like your back etc, so you might want to get a comfy bike.

If its just touring you will probably be able to cycle as much as you like within 2 months of twice a week rides... Ofcourse you might want to check with a physician too.

A good way to train without too much trouble is to get an indoor trainer. You can train on that thing in the house whenever you like and just go out for "real" rides whenever you think its ok. Getting used to road conditions is important too though...

If you wanna lose weight try low calorie food that keeps you feeling full. Steaks and salad for example. Your stomach wont like it too much but you wont feel hungry. It worked for me when I was 90kg.

Tours are usually at a leisure pace. But that may be hard work for you in your present condition.

The first thing to do is to compare what you are currently capable of to what you will be doing on the tour. That will give you some idea of what to aim for.

---

Riding lots is best but a little riding is sufficuent.

In the US there are a lot of cross state group rides - hundreds to thousands of people riding 50-100 miles a day for a week..One training schedule for thse rides are weekend group rides (both Saturday and Sunday) of 5, 10, 15, 20, 30, 40, 50 , 70 miles on successive weekends.

The rides will not make you fast, but they will get you into condition to feel comfortable for a week of touring.

If you are going to carry a lot of gear on your bike, you should train at least some with your gear on your bike. Hopefully you will have a van to haul your gear around.

---

Other exercise is good but not necessary.