Component Advice

Matthew Jewell

Jul 11, 2012
I just bought a 2012 Caad 10 frame. I am excited about building my first bike, but I am on a budget. Does anyone have any advice on components? I just have the frame and fork and would like to complete the build for around 1k more.

Should I go with a Sram Rival Group or something comparable in Campy??

Thanks in advance

You would need to go 10 speed Campy. Even on eBay, a "new" Athena 11 groupo is going to set you back $1100+. You could probably snag a Veloce group for $700-800.

You're going to get cheaper offerings for groups going Shimano or SRAM.

But if 1K is your budget for wheels, group, stem, seatpost, saddle, and tires, it's going to be tight.

2012 CAAD 10 5 runs around 1600 new. You may be able to build up your frame to this level for your budget but you will be hard pressed to do so using new components.

The post, stem, bars, and saddle could be got for pennies on the dollar via eBay. Getting wheels built up from hubs rims and spokes at your LBS (or wherever) may be your best bet to save money on wheels, unless you get a good deal on low end boutique wheels provided your weight and riding style allow.

Quote:Originally Posted by Matthew Jewell . Should I go with a Sram Rival Group or something comparable in Campy??

Thanks in advance

Campagnolo, please.