Component Compatiblity

elanzarotta

Jun 30, 2011
I'm am looking to upgrade my shifters but i have a 14 speed bike. I was wondering how to find out if i can figure which shifters would be compatible. Most of the ones i find say they are 3 speed indexed but my bike only has two. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

If you have 14 speeds, you have a 2x7 drivetrain--two chainrings and a 7-cog freewheel (or cassette, but most likely a freewheel).

The most advanced shifters available for this bike would be levers mounted on the down tube or the handlebar ends (called bar-ends or bar-cons). The front shifter would be friction-based and the rear indexed for 7-speed. Without knowing more about the bike or the derailleurs on it, my advice can't be more specific. Your local shop should be able to order and install the right shifters for you.

yeah im afraid to say that you are outdated, if you want shifters/brake integrated on the brake hoods you need to start, if you are lucky, by 8 cogs in the back. I say if you are lucky because everthing is moving towards 10 cogs... so,

Originally Posted by elanzarotta .

I'm am looking to upgrade my shifters but i have a 14 speed bike. I was wondering how to find out if i can figure which shifters would be compatible. Most of the ones i find say they are 3 speed indexed but my bike only has two. Any suggestions?
FYI. 7-speed cog spacing is close enough to 8-speed cog spacing that if your Freewheel-or-Cassette has ramped cogs then you can replace your 7-speed shifters with 8-speed shifters ...

If your bike has FLAT BARS, then you can buy any set of SHIMANO MTB shifter + a 9-speed Shimano front & rear derailleurs + ([COLOR= #808080]depending on the type of hub the rear wheel has[/COLOR]) EITHER a 7-speed SUNRACE Freewheel OR an 8-speed Shimano-or-SRAM cassette ([COLOR= #808080]you will remove one cog + one spacer[/COLOR]) which has [COLOR= #0000ff]ramped cogs[/COLOR].

• your cost shouldn't be too much greater than $100US if you DIY & buy what you need from eBay UNLESS you want it to be

If your bike has DROP BARS, the least expensive option would be a pair of 10-speed CAMPAGNOLO Ergo shifters + 9-speed Shimano rear derailleur + EITHER a 7-speed Sunrace Freewheel OR an 8-speed Shimano-or-SRAM Cassette which has[COLOR= #0000ff] ramped cogs[/COLOR].

• your cost can be between $150-to-$200US if you are a wise shopper (eBay) and can DIY ... unless you want to spend more money

----​

• You do NOT need to replace the Freewheel-or-Cassette if the current one has ramped cogs ...
  • you MAY NOT need to replace an unramped Freewheel-or-Cassette if you are satisfied with the way the replacement shifters work with your existing Freewheel-or-Cassette ...

• you DO want to use an 8-speed chain with 8-speed Shimano shifters & derailleurs
  • 'I' recommend that you use a 9-speed Shimano chain with the 10-speed Campagnolo shifters

THERE ARE OTHER OPTIONS; but, 'I' think those are the least expensive which require the least effort.