component question?

mutsu

May 16, 2005
Hi,

Is there a website or reference somewhere that compares roadbike components, ex what feature etc that makes one better than the other?

I trying to determine the level of components I would get on a bike with a cost-effective budget.

I keep hearing 105, tiagra etc but not sure. I just don't want to get frustrated with the cheapest parts. The worse is when the shifters are not shifting right.(adjusting the derailer is hell)

THis is for aggressive recreational riding...

thanks
mutsu

mutsu said:
Hi,

Is there a website or reference somewhere that compares roadbike components, ex what feature etc that makes one better than the other?

I trying to determine the level of components I would get on a bike with a cost-effective budget.

I keep hearing 105, tiagra etc but not sure. I just don't want to get frustrated with the cheapest parts. The worse is when the shifters are not shifting right.(adjusting the derailer is hell)

thanks
mutsu

You can read through the specs on shimano.com and campagnolo.com, take the marketing spiel with a huge pile of salt and then go trawl through websites like this one or roadbikereview.com.

mutsu said:
Hi,

thanks
mutsu
Shimano 105 or Campy Veloce.... Any of them,even DA or Record will need adjusting. Get over it,and go to the repair sction at www.parktool.com and start learning how.

Something you hear a lot is that Shimano 105 are the entry level to the more serious components from Shimano. Having ridden both 105 & Ultegra, I'd probably agree with this.

You won't find a site that compares them all, because this is hugely subjective. There is one that I know of that compares Dura Ace and Record, but that doesn't apply to you. It's a bit dated, but here it is for interests sake...The Road War

Figure out your budget and then look at which components from Campy and Shimano apply to you. Then post a thread asking other users of those components to comment on whether they're good for "aggressive recreational riding"...(side note, isn't "aggressive recreational" an oxymoron? :D ). Maybe also ask whether the extra money is worth it for the type of riding you'll be doing.

Shimano 105, best bang for the buck. Plus the black finish looks sharp. Everything eventually needs adjustment. That is not a reflection on quality. The higher up ya go is more tied to weight than performance.

Hi,

Thanks for all the usefull links and information.

I think I'm gonna start with learning the proper way of adjusting the derailers.
Parktool.com is very useful...

thanks
Mutsu

Look at the roadbikereview.com website. it seems to have very good reviews on bike stuff