Components Upgrade

cycledeep

Apr 12, 2006
I have been riding my beloved Cannondale with its original Shimano 105 components for 6 years now, and it is time to upgrade the parts. I cannot do it all at once, so was looking for some advice on what to replace and in what order. I am looking to buy Ultegra components now. Any thoughts?

cycledeep said:
I have been riding my beloved Cannondale with its original Shimano 105 components for 6 years now, and it is time to upgrade the parts. I cannot do it all at once, so was looking for some advice on what to replace and in what order. I am looking to buy Ultegra components now. Any thoughts?
8 or 9 speed? I'm guessing 9, so I would most likely take a look at the shifters, rear derailleur and cassette first (assuming you haven't chainged it). IMHO, if it shifts fine I would look at wheels as the best upgrade. A nice new set of wheels will give you an instant increase in speed as well as shaving a few extra grams.

cycledeep said:
The new 105 components are excellent. Keep in mind that Shimano consistantly lets the technology trickle down, so the new 105 stuff is pretty close, in performance, to six year old DuraAce. The most expensive bits are the STI shifters and you can get them (9spd) right now for $149 from Nashbar and for $131 (!!!) from Performance. The Performance price is just for the next two days. If you can get discount codes (use W215 for Nasbar until 6/14), then it's even cheaper. If you're not dead set on a groupset type upgrade, I'll bet you'll be very happy with the new 105 stuff. Even last year's 9spd 105 components are very nice. Plus, you can get them very cheap. I think the best value for the performance you will get. The new 10spd stuff will cost significantly more, but maybe you could just get the new crank/BB combo, which is now the same tech as Ultegra and DuraAce. Finding good bargains on Ultegra is not nearly as easy as it is for the 105 9spd stuff.
FWIW, the new Ultegra triple STI's are really nice. You now can trim out the middle chainring and the large chainring. The large chainring trim is new this year with Ultegra. This is pretty sweet and you can eliminate almost all crosschaining. On the other hand, the Ultegra double keeps the classic crosschaining problem. Yeh, I know, don't ride that way, but that is one fussy double FD.

Common parts that will make your ride like new are cables&housings, chain, brake pads, cassette, and chainrings. Maybe a new BB if it's needed. Get your hubs and headset serviced. BB, headset, and hubs are the most commonly overlooked serviceable items. But, they take a tremendous amount of punishment in normal usage. Make sure you get them checked and serviced, or replaced, as necessary. Assuming your current 105 gear was not abused, then you should be able to get many more good years out of it. It's been said that for $100 a year, you can keep your bike like brand new, year in and year out. I believe that's true.

Good luck with your upgrade!

Hey! Thanks for all the great advice. I really do have my heart set on Ultegra- maybe just a longtime fetish that I need to realize. I get yearly full service on my bike and changed out the cassette and chain recently. I also bought new wheels about one year ago. I think shifters and rear derailer sound like good places to go next. I shall never give or throw away my originial 105 parts though! Thanks again.

fish156 said:
The new 105 components are excellent. Keep in mind that Shimano consistantly lets the technology trickle down, so the new 105 stuff is pretty close, in performance, to six year old DuraAce. The most expensive bits are the STI shifters and you can get them (9spd) right now for $149 from Nashbar and for $131 (!!!) from Performance. The Performance price is just for the next two days. If you can get discount codes (use W215 for Nasbar until 6/14), then it's even cheaper. If you're not dead set on a groupset type upgrade, I'll bet you'll be very happy with the new 105 stuff. Even last year's 9spd 105 components are very nice. Plus, you can get them very cheap. I think the best value for the performance you will get. The new 10spd stuff will cost significantly more, but maybe you could just get the new crank/BB combo, which is now the same tech as Ultegra and DuraAce. Finding good bargains on Ultegra is not nearly as easy as it is for the 105 9spd stuff.
FWIW, the new Ultegra triple STI's are really nice. You now can trim out the middle chainring and the large chainring. The large chainring trim is new this year with Ultegra. This is pretty sweet and you can eliminate almost all crosschaining. On the other hand, the Ultegra double keeps the classic crosschaining problem. Yeh, I know, don't ride that way, but that is one fussy double FD.

Common parts that will make your ride like new are cables&housings, chain, brake pads, cassette, and chainrings. Maybe a new BB if it's needed. Get your hubs and headset serviced. BB, headset, and hubs are the most commonly overlooked serviceable items. But, they take a tremendous amount of punishment in normal usage. Make sure you get them checked and serviced, or replaced, as necessary. Assuming your current 105 gear was not abused, then you should be able to get many more good years out of it. It's been said that for $100 a year, you can keep your bike like brand new, year in and year out. I believe that's true.

Good luck with your upgrade!