Composite v Carbon Frames

losrojas

Nov 5, 2007
Hi,

It's been 8-9 years since I've bought a new road bike so I'm looking for a bit of advice on composite vs all-carbon frames.

My understanding is that all-carbon frames absorb the shock better and give you a more comfortable ride, but the composite frames are a little quicker because they combine the stiffer alloys with carbon. Is this right?

One person I spoke suggested against composites because he reckoned the carbon displaced the shock onto non-carbon and wore the frame. Any truth in this?

At the price points I've been looking at, 2-3k, it seems you can get a composite frame with all-ultegra componentry or a carbon frame with a mix of ultegra/105 componentry.

I'm leaning towards a composite frame with all ultegra - but looking for a bit of advice on the relative merits of the two types of frame to assist in my decision.

Cheers, Chris.

CF is a composite.

The fact is, you are better to look at the specific bike model rather than just the material. The design and construction makes a huge difference to the end result.

sogood said:
CF is a composite.

The fact is, you are better to look at the specific bike model rather than just the material. The design and construction makes a huge difference to the end result.
maybe i'm using wrong/sloppy terminology - full carbon vs a mixture of carbon & alloy. Just one factor I'm considering but looking for views.

I'm considering Giant TCR, azzurri primo and a couple of trek bikes (5000, 1500, 2008 model 4.5 madone) in that 2-3k range.

any recommendations then on design and construction?

Quite a number of people don't like those alu-cf frames with CF rear triangle, on the basis of unnecessary increase in the complexity of the frame. Either full alu or full CF.

I have an '06 TCR Comp Zero. A bit light in the front end but all in all a great bike.

Forgot to mention that I was keen on the Trek 1500 but the Dura-ace option on the TCR just did it for me. The price was not that much more than the Trek.