Composition of a 1/2 Ironman

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by SCardamon, Feb 25, 2012.

1. SCardamon

SCardamon New Member

Hey kids, So I have decided after 2.5 years of cycling and overall physical strengthening to take on the Miami Ironman this year on October 28th. I am excited to take on the training and am eger to learn, I thought of keeping a personal training journal but thought this would be an interesting way to keep track and gain feedback from anyone who cares to read in. Over the winter I have been on a fluid trainer for 3 days a week an hour at a time. Typically pushing out a varied pace/resistance to strengthen as much as possible. I will continue this cycling training until Ohio decides to stop being so cold.... I have a neck injury from when I was 17 which left me with no "C" curve in my c4 and c5 leaving me with mildly pinching nerves whenever I move from a straight postured position. I am happy to say that cycling and the demands of core strengthening has helped me overcome the issue I had with running (so much shock to the system my neck would go crazy). I have learned to run with little to no impact and am now working to prep for the 13 miles. So far I am treadmill bound with 10 minute mile runs 2 times a week and one 2 mile before the weekend. I am still working on technique so I am holing back on distance for now. I am also lifting light weight with high reps 5 days a week hitting all muscle groups and working out my core every day. Stretching whenver I finish fully too. Swimming is fine, I grew up swimming and can get through that. I also cycle long distance when warm with no issue so I believe Ironman is possible. I'm gonna post what training I do when I can and if no one tells me its annoying ill keep it up. Any advice and help would be awesome. Thanks in advance!

Tags:

2. maydog

maydog Well-Known Member

I am not clear if you are doing a full or 1/2 iron.

Swimming is fine? Have you ever swam a mile in open water? Recently?

It sounds like you need to up the mileage of your runs gradually and you should probably hit the pool to assess your current swimming ability.
    Also, I wouldn't hurt to do a sprint Tri or 2 to get the hang of the transitions and other logistics of a tri.

3. Tonytiger

Tonytiger New Member

I hope your training progresses well and wish you luck in the Ironman Miami. As a South Florida resident I can tell you that Miami can be quite humid even in October. I looked at the bike course and US #27 will take you thru some pretty "swampy" areas at times. Even if it is an overcast day it can be quite muggy, while places like Ohio are watching the leaves turn colors. Also you may want to fly in and out of Ft. Lauderdale airport since it is usually easier and cheaper. I plan on running it this year also so I am hoping for no late season Hurricanes !
    Good Luck

Anthony

4. SCardamon

SCardamon New Member

Doing a half Ironman (thus the title :) )

Yeah I swim quite a bit in the summer months and long distance is not an issue. This is not open water and you make a really good point there, I am relying on hard training in the other 2 categories to make up time consumed in this leg. Trust me, when able, I will be training just as much after the swim and most likely will find ways to get to an indoor swimming facility until June and after August.

That is the plan, I am really taking the run as the most challenging item so my training will really focus on developing technique first then, when comfortable, alter to focus on increasing endurance.

THANK YOU for suggesting the sprint tirathalon, I did not know much about these. My friend who will be racing in the Miami 1/2 with me mentioned trying some olympic tris, wondering if this is the same thing.

Thanks for taking time to provide feedback.

5. SCardamon

SCardamon New Member

Thanks for the heads up on humidity, Ohio mid summer gets really humid too so at least that will get me somewhat prepped but I bet the humidity down there will be much more intense. Thanks for the tip on travel, I am thinking about driving it with my family too but who knows, long ways off. Great to hear you will be in on the event!

I work for Nationwide Insurance so I am hoping for no Hurricanes late or early for many reasons lol

Thank you again Anthony!

6. SCardamon

SCardamon New Member

OK training today was an indoor ride on the fluid2. Put in 1 hour and 20 mintues and pushed 25.5 miles (I know trainer miles are not like road miles but without a power meter, this is my option for tracking progress).

Did 2 6 - 10 minute intervals of top gear/low cadence strength training and varied between low gears otherwise.

Tomorrow morning will be another mile on the treadmill after a bench/chest/core workout.

Have a great week everyone!

7. Eric Vaughan

Eric Vaughan New Member

Id agree with MayDog - Open water swimming is far different regardless of physical fitness - technique and sighting becomes much more important especially when you have hundreds of others swimming on top and all around you. The quarry off of riverside drive is a good place to practice - Has anyone heard if "Ironman" worked out all the issues they had last year hosting the event?

8. SCardamon

SCardamon New Member

Oh crap you are sounding just like by friend Er...wait... Thanks for the tip on the Quarry!

9. SCardamon

SCardamon New Member

This morning consisted of.....
    • Bench - 3 sets of 15 reps @ 145 lbs (in a cage bench not free weight)
    • Peck fly machine 3 sets of 15 @ 70 lbs
    • Upright cable press 3 sets of 15 @ 40 lbs (decline position)
    • Core workout - incline crunches/back extension bench/plank ab exercise 3 sets of 10 on each
    • Ran for 1 mile 10 min - inside of my right knee hurting after the run, I believe it is due to my right leg landing inside of my hip that uneven line from my ankle to my knee is the cause. Assuming I will need to get insole help at some point.

Thats it for today. Tomorrow may have 50 degree weather here in C-Bus so I may get to do an outdoor sprint ride!!!

10. jpr95

jpr95 Active Member

I could be wrong, but your weight training may actually be working against you. You're bulking up muscle that does nothing for the long distance efforts of a triathlon, so it's just extra weight that will cost you more energy to lug along. That time is probably better spent getting your heart and lungs working aerobically so that when you can hit the pool, bike or track, you can push yourself a little harder.

11. SCardamon

SCardamon New Member

Really good point, I have put a lot of thought into killing my weight training but that overall strengthening is what keeps my neck /back strong and aligned so my nerve issues do not make neck muscles lock up, Maybe taking the weight training down a lot in weight and higher in reps would be possible. Thanks for the info!

12. SCardamon

SCardamon New Member

Arms today, nothing exciting, just 3 exercises for biceps and triceps @ 3 sets - 15 reps. Low weight, tennis elbow is not fun.....

The usual core workout - incline crunches/back extension bench/plank ab exercise 3 sets of 10 on each

Tonight will be a ride hopefully outside depending on windspeed and temp.

13. SCardamon

SCardamon New Member

Good trainer ride last night (stupid Ohio was too cold for an outdoor ride, for me anyway).

17.3 miles in 1 hour.

Please do not ask for my average rate of speed lol

Gonna get my run on here in about 1 hour.

14. SCardamon

SCardamon New Member

Shoulder workout- 3 sets of 15 on -
    1. Cage supported millitary press 95 lbs
    2. Reverse rows on cable thing..I dunno.. 30 lbs
    3. Reverse peck fly 55 lbs
    4. Rotator cuff curl 8 lb dumbells
    5. Lateral raises 10 lb dumbells
    6. Front raises 10 lb dumbells

The usual core workout - incline crunches/back extension bench/plank ab exercise 3 sets of 10 on each

Ran 1 mile in I dunno how many minutes, forgot to record the start time :)

This was my frist time not using a treadmill and just rand on the track surrounding the gym........not easier...... ugh

15. SCardamon

SCardamon New Member

OK yesterday was back a workout - 3 sets of 15 like always on-- -upright rows 55 lbs -lat pull downs 55 lbs -assisted dip mathine, dips -assisted dip machine, pull ups -shoulder shrugs, forward -shoulder shrugs, reverse No ride last night, my sinuses were crazy and inner ears hurt so I laid off on the ride so as not to spiral into whatever sickness everone around me a work has.

16. SCardamon

SCardamon New Member

Got through a leg workout and run: (3 sets of 15)
    Full leg press 55 lbs
    Calf raises 55 lbs
    Leg extension 55 lbs
    Leg curl 55 lbs
    Lunges
    Hip abduction

Core workout -usual-

1 mile run in my new Nike Air Max+ 2012 (happy knees)

17. SCardamon

SCardamon New Member

Spent a good amount of time with my bike this morning. 30 miles in 1:41. This is a personal best for trainer riding. Did 3 periods of 5 to 10 min low cadence high gear work and some high cadence low gear sprinting. Great ride! Also did not have any pain at all. Between riding in the aero position, backing off on weight in the gym, and running - I think my body is getting stronger ride wise.

18. SCardamon

SCardamon New Member

Today was a chest workout (3 sets of 15):
    1. Caged bench 145 lbs wide grip
    2. Decline fly using cables
    3. Peck deck flys (sitting low to simulate incline position)
    4. Typical core workout*
    5. Ran for 1.07 miles on the gym track (I think I am done with treadmill running unless forced or injury requires it). Gym track is 1/14 of a mile so I am going to try and add a lap once or twice a week during my three runs to increase distance incrementally. Today was 15 laps.

19. SCardamon

SCardamon New Member

Yesterday was arms 3x15:
    • Forward curls 20 lbs then 25 then 30
    • Tricep extension using cables and full bar attachment 40 then 50 then 60 lbs
    • Hammer curls using the cable weight rope attachment 20 lbs
    • Tricep extension using cables and "V" bar 40 then 50 then 60 lbs
    • Bicep 3 way curls (wide curl, hammer curl, cross curll - 5 reps for each)
    • Dumbell tricep extensions 20 lbs
    • Usual core workout
    • Cycles for only 21 min.....lame

20. SCardamon

SCardamon New Member

Shoulder day!- 3 sets of 15 on -
    1. Cage supported millitary press 125 lbs
    2. Reverse rows on cable thing..I dunno.. 30 lbs
    3. Reverse peck fly 55 lbs
    4. Rotator cuff curl 8 lb dumbells
    5. Lateral raises 10 lb dumbells
    6. Front raises 10 lb dumbells