Composition of bone marrow?

Tim Josling

Guest
It is said that hunter gatherer diets were very low in fat because game flesh is low fat.

However I read somwhere that bone marrow is high in monounsaturated fats. Through the use of tools,
early man may have been able to get at bone marrow that other predators may have had to forgo.

If early man ate bone marrow, then this may explain the benign effect of mono fats in the diet of
modern man.

Does anyone have any data on this?

Tim Josling

Tim Josling wrote:

> It is said that hunter gatherer diets were very low in fat because game flesh is low fat.
>
> However I read somwhere that bone marrow is high in monounsaturated fats. Through the use of
> tools, early man may have been able to get at bone marrow that other predators may have had
> to forgo.
>
> If early man ate bone marrow, then this may explain the benign effect of mono fats in the diet of
> modern man.
>
> Does anyone have any data on this?

It makes sense, but everything on the topic is speculation. Discovery Magazine had an entire issue
on competing speculations on human evolution a couple of months ago. Discovery Channel has plenty of
episodes on speculation.