Comprehensive chart of chainwheel sizes?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by dabac, Sep 25, 2007.

  1. dabac

    dabac Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2003
    Messages:
    2,264
    Hi guys,

    I'm toying around with an idea that is probably equally pointless and entertaining, but to put some reality into it I need to know what chainwheel sizes there are available.
    Does anybody know of a compiled list somewhere, or do I have to keep trawling the online catalogs?

    (I have tried a quick google, but it didn't lead to anything helpful.)

    Tags:

  2. On Sep 25, 6:32 am, dabac <[email protected]
    mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
    > Hi guys,
    >
    > I'm toying around with an idea that is probably equally pointless and
    > entertaining, but to put some reality into it I need to know what
    > chainwheel sizes there are available.
    > Does anybody know of a compiled list somewhere, or do I have to keep
    > trawling the online catalogs?
    >
    > (I have tried a quick google, but it didn't lead to anything helpful.)
    >
    > --
    > dabac

    MO and Online catalogs do not the bike parts market make. TA rings are
    available for just about any bolt circle, 1 tooth increments, road and
    track pitch.

  3. On Sep 25, 7:06 am, "Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com"
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Sep 25, 6:32 am, dabac <[email protected]
    >
    > mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
    > > Hi guys,

    > > I'm toying around with an idea that is probably equally pointless and
    > > entertaining, but to put some reality into it I need to know what
    > > chainwheel sizes there are available.
    > > Does anybody know of a compiled list somewhere, or do I have to keep
    > > trawling the online catalogs?

    > > (I have tried a quick google, but it didn't lead to anything helpful.)

    > > --
    > > dabac

    > MO and Online catalogs do not the bike parts market make. TA rings are
    > available for just about any bolt circle, 1 tooth increments, road and
    > track pitch.

    http://www.specialites-ta.com/produits/plateauxbmx_gb.htm

    We sell 'em as do many decent 'local' bike shops..that also mail
    stuff, like we do and Yellow jersey w/o really being 'mailorder'.

  4. dabac

    dabac Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2003
    Messages:
    2,264
    That was great :)

    ... but they don't seem to have a 37... ah well

  5. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    "dabac" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com Wrote:
    >> >
    >> > MO and Online catalogs do not the bike parts market make. TA rings

    >> are
    >> > available for just about any bolt circle, 1 tooth increments, road

    >> and
    >> > track pitch.

    >> http://www.specialites-ta.com/produits/plateauxbmx_gb.htm

    > That was great :)
    >
    > .. but they don't seem to have a 37... ah well[/color]

    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Specialites_TA-TA-110mm-PCD-Silver-Alloy-Middle-Chainring-222.htm

    Lists a 37.

    Of course you didn't say what bolt circle you needed...

    cheers,
    clive

  6. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    dabac wrote:
    > I'm toying around with an idea that is probably equally pointless and
    > entertaining, but to put some reality into it I need to know what
    > chainwheel sizes there are available.
    > Does anybody know of a compiled list somewhere, or do I have to keep
    > trawling the online catalogs?
    > (I have tried a quick google, but it didn't lead to anything helpful.)

    Need to know crank application for diameter and your preferred format,
    (e.g., the middle of a triple shifts better with ramps/pins). There are
    oodles of formats out there, so a 'listing' would be scattershot anyway
    considering aftermarket rings and adapter systems.

    p.s. for special applications (Hour Record?), custom chainrings.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org

  7. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com Wrote:
    >>> MO and Online catalogs do not the bike parts market make. TA rings

    >> are
    >>> available for just about any bolt circle, 1 tooth increments, road

    >> and track pitch.

    >> http://www.specialites-ta.com/produits/plateauxbmx_gb.htm
    [/color]

    dabac wrote:
    > That was great :)
    > .. but they don't seem to have a 37... ah well

    A 38 is 2.6% bigger. Oh, the horror.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  8. On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 14:48:20 -0500, A Muzi <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >>> are
    >>> and track pitch.

    >>> http://www.specialites-ta.com/produits/plateauxbmx_gb.htm

    >dabac wrote:
    >> That was great :)
    >> .. but they don't seem to have a 37... ah well

    >A 38 is 2.6% bigger. Oh, the horror.[/color]

    Dear Andrew,

    We caught on to your habit of pocketing valve caps long ago!

    Do you think that the cycling public is unaware that you recommend the
    larger chain ring solely in order to sell the extra chain link?

    Cheers,

    Carl Fogel

  9. On Sep 25, 7:55 am, dabac <[email protected]
    mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
    > Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.comWrote:
    >

    > > > MO and Online catalogs do not the bike parts market make. TA rings

    > > are
    > > > available for just about any bolt circle, 1 tooth increments, road

    > > and
    > > > track pitch.

    > >http://www.specialites-ta.com/produits/plateauxbmx_gb.htm

    > That was great :)
    >
    > .. but they don't seem to have a 37... ah well
    >
    > --
    > dabac[/color]

    $39.99..howmanydoyawant??

  10. DougC

    DougC Guest

    dabac wrote:
    > Hi guys,
    >
    > I'm toying around with an idea that is probably equally pointless and
    > entertaining, but to put some reality into it I need to know what
    > chainwheel sizes there are available.
    > Does anybody know of a compiled list somewhere, or do I have to keep
    > trawling the online catalogs?
    >
    > (I have tried a quick google, but it didn't lead to anything helpful.)

    You can look for big chainrings here-

    > http://www.hostelshoppe.com/

    Although it is a USA & recumbent-oriented site.

    The Vuelta Alloy rings go up to 60T, and there's some RANS and
    Greenspeed ones that are 62, 65 & 74T. As I recall they used to sell an
    80T, not listed now but they might remember who made it.
    ~

  11. JeffWills

    JeffWills Guest

    On Sep 25, 7:33 pm, DougC <[email protected]> wrote:

    > You can look for big chainrings here-
    >
    > >http://www.hostelshoppe.com/

    > Although it is a USA & recumbent-oriented site.
    >
    > The Vuelta Alloy rings go up to 60T, and there's some RANS and
    > Greenspeed ones that are 62, 65 & 74T. As I recall they used to sell an
    > 80T, not listed now but they might remember who made it.
    > ~

    I think the 80-tooth chainrings were a Greenspeed item also. See
    http://www.greenspeed.com.au/gsparts.html . Custom chainrings are also
    available from Highpath Engineering: http://www.highpath.net/cycles/eggs/01.html
    .. Available in 11 to 110 teeth!

    Once upon a time I read an article in HPV news that described how to
    make a custom chainring with a router, a carbide bit, and a plate of
    aluminum. I'll try to turn up the article if anyone likes.

    Jeff

  12. dabac

    dabac Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2003
    Messages:
    2,264
    Starting from scratch, or rather, from scrap, I have full flexibility in that matter - as long as I can assemble a matching set.

    Some favour goes to 5-arm, as I have a couple of those cranks that could be sacrificed at the altar of mechanic curiosity.

  13. dabac

    dabac Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2003
    Messages:
    2,264
    Long explanation follows:

    I've got a set of composite wheels that I'd like to use for all-weather commuter in fairly flat terrain(17 miles each direction).
    Trouble, and my challenge is that the rear wheel has a S-A 3 spd hub, which is a bit more limited than I like.
    Through helpful pointers from posters here I found Sheldon Brown's gear calculator and a reasonable starting point(front triple 40-44-48), so now I've spent some time searching for the "ultimate" chainring combo both to widen the range and to add more intermediate steps w/o repeating already available gear ratios.
    One option I've looked at is to make it a quad in front (as found here: ) but I thought I could make do w/o their splined carrier and simply bolt it all up.
    My theory is that I could use two bolt circle diameters, and use chain ring bolts for a double to hang the biggest chainring outboard of the 2nd biggest, then use a smaller bolt circle and chainring bolts from a triple to hang the other two rather more traditionally to the inside.
    I don't want to use a 36, as the combos I've calculated generate repeat gears, but a 37-40-44-48 would have a slightly more even spacing when combined with a S-A 3 spd than a 38-40-44-48 would.

    I've thought of trying to force the S-A hub out of the wheel and stick a Shimano hub compatible with a current body in there, but I'm not certain if that is possible w/o causing irreparable damage to the wheel.

  14. dabac

    dabac Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2003
    Messages:
    2,264
    Found HERE:

    Together with the printers I have available I have to rate the usefulness as "moderate", as the templates that can be printed out are very pale. Still, it shows nicely what can be done with few tools and a bit of dedication.