Compression Insert for Alpha Q fork?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Appkiller

My (uninstalled) Alpha Q Pro carbon fork has the glue-in insert for star nut installation. According
to the literature that came with the fork, the insert may be trimmed down as much as 2 cm after
installation of the insert. While this seems like it will make it possible to move the fork between
bikes, it would be even better if I could use a compression insert rather than the more permanent
glued in one.

Ignoring dire warnings of voided warranty and much worse (steerer failure, personal injury, etc...),
what is the collective opinion on using a compression insert instead?

What about taking out my crank bolts after tightening? I bet there's 40 - 60 gms of weight there.

Can I drill my rims with a 3/8" bit or is the 1/4" bit safer? How's about the hubs?

Should I remove my helmet before I drill it?

Can I use aluminum bolts in place of my current steel seat clamp bolts?

If you find the first question as stupid as the last four, I apologize for even asking. If you find
the first question to be worth looking into, and know something about the answer (like what it is)
let me know.

App

pete-<< it would be even better if I could use a compression insert rather than the more permanent
glued in one. >><BR><BR> << Ignoring dire warnings of voided warranty and much worse (steerer
failure, personal injury, etc...), what is the collective opinion on using a compression insert
instead? >><BR><BR>

This steerer is designed to need the extra support of the glue-in sleeve(for added strength for the
stem clamp) and I would not use this fork w/o it.

I agree it is a complicated answer but i would use it.

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Status
Not open for further replies.