Compression shorts vs bike shorts

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by S. Segal, Sep 4, 2003.

  1. S. Segal

    S. Segal Guest

    I posted a message about a week ago, in which I asked people if they had any recommendations on what
    to do about groin pain. As it turns out, it wasn't groin pain, but hip and lower back pain, with a
    little pelvic pain added in. For the past month, nothing has seemed to work. I tried several
    doctors, many types of medicines, and am also seeing a physical therapist.

    But today, I found out about compression shorts. I guess I haven't been paying attention, because
    these types of shorts have been around for a while! But my question is: are they any different than
    regular lycra bike shorts? I bought a cheap pair of compression shorts at Wal-Mart, and I was able
    to ride today with no problems. Granted, I didn't ride hard as it was my first time back on the bent
    after pulling all those muscles. But I was impressed with the shorts.

    Anybody who has worn compression shorts, I'd like your opinions on which brand you think would be
    best for cycling. Thanks in advance!

    Tags:

  2. fblum

    fblum New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2003
    I'm confused- I can't imagine a source of hip, pelvic and lower back pain that would be helped by compression shorts ....unless it is all lower back/nerve problems and the compression is giving you lumbar support. Compression shorts do differ from unpadded bike shorts- the former is meant to squeeze and the latter is mean to snuggly stay on. Have you tried placing a little lumbar support on your seat to see if that also helps? Also stretching your hamstrings before and during a long ride often helps if it back/sciatic pain.
    hope this helps.

  3. I have long worn Saunders shorts, made specifically to provide back support. They are firm but
    minimal and comfortable and I wear them for all exercise, biking and lifting.

    This Saunders Back product just about ended any stress-induced lower back pain .. and that's after I
    suffered for many years with low back pain, chiropractors, etc. A pair costs about $50 and comes in
    men's., women's, black and white. Can be bought online.
    --
    Gator Bob Siegel NOT in Gainesville FL "fblum" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm confused- I can't imagine a source of hip, pelvic and lower back pain that would be helped by
    > compression shorts ....unless it is all lower back/nerve problems and the compression is giving
    > you lumbar support. Compression shorts do differ from unpadded bike shorts- the former is meant to
    > squeeze and the latter is mean to snuggly stay on. Have you tried placing a little lumbar support
    > on your seat to see if that also helps? Also stretching your hamstrings before and during a long
    > ride often helps if it back/sciatic pain. hope this helps.

  4. Jon Meinecke

    Jon Meinecke Guest

    "S. Segal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Anybody who has worn compression shorts, I'd like your opinions on which brand you think would be
    > best for cycling. Thanks in advance!

    Obvious answer: "Bike" brand compression shorts are best for biking! %^) Available for ~$20 at
    Oshmans and other SPS.

    I have several pair of Bike compression shorts that I use for recumbent bike shorts. Not sure how
    they would help with lower back or hip pain, though. These days, I prefer Speedo bike shorts
    (swimsuit) as they are a bit 'cooler'.

    Jon Meinecke

  5. Bill Anton

    Bill Anton Guest

    "S. Segal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I bought a cheap pair of compression shorts at Wal-Mart, and I was able to ride today with no
    > problems.

    If these are the compression shorts I'm thinking of, you might want to wear something else over top
    of them for modesty's sake :-o

  6. S. Segal

    S. Segal Guest

    I understand your confusion. This is one of those nebulous problems that I've been dealing with.
    Sometimes the lower back hurts, sometimes the hip, sometimes the pelvic area, sometimes even the
    lower abs. I've seen many docs, tried many meds, and am going to physical therapy. I've done many
    hours of research on the web about what could be the cause of all of this muscle problem and have
    found lots of other people with similar ailments. None of these people have found permanent relief.
    That's the thing about back pain. It not only confuses those who have it, but even the best doctors
    are often confounded as to how to fix it. That's why I thought I'd give compression shorts a shot.
    Hey, the shorts can't hurt, right?

    "fblum" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm confused- I can't imagine a source of hip, pelvic and lower back pain that would be helped by
    > compression shorts ....unless it is all lower back/nerve problems and the compression is giving
    > you lumbar support. Compression shorts do differ from unpadded bike shorts- the former is meant to
    > squeeze and the latter is mean to snuggly stay on. Have you tried placing a little lumbar support
    > on your seat to see if that also helps? Also stretching your hamstrings before and during a long
    > ride often helps if it back/sciatic pain. hope this helps.

  7. S. Segal

    S. Segal Guest

    Stress-induced lower back pain? That could be what I have. I'm a fairly stressed-out type of person
    at times and have also tried many medical docs and meds, but nothing seems to have helped. I'll take
    a look at the Saunders products and may try them. Thanks for the advice.

    "Robert Siegel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have long worn Saunders shorts, made specifically to provide back
    support.
    > They are firm but minimal and comfortable and I wear them for all
    exercise,
    > biking and lifting.
    >
    > This Saunders Back product just about ended any stress-induced lower back pain .. and that's after
    > I suffered for many years with low back pain, chiropractors, etc. A pair costs about $50 and comes
    > in men's., women's, black and white. Can be bought online.
    > --
    > Gator Bob Siegel NOT in Gainesville FL "fblum" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I'm confused- I can't imagine a source of hip, pelvic and lower back pain that would be helped
    > > by compression shorts ....unless it is all lower back/nerve problems and the compression is
    > > giving you lumbar support. Compression shorts do differ from unpadded bike shorts- the former is
    > > meant to squeeze and the latter is mean to snuggly stay on. Have you tried placing a little
    > > lumbar support on your seat to see if that also helps? Also stretching your hamstrings before
    > > and during a long ride often helps if it back/sciatic pain. hope this helps.
    > >

    > > --

  8. I just checked the Saunders website www.thesaundersgroup.com

    The Saunder S'portMax is currently on sale for $39.95, reduced from $49.95.

    Based on my personal experience over the last five or six years using a Saunders back support, I
    strongly urge anyone who has any back pain to try one for biking, exercise and any work involving
    bending or lifting. I also find wearing it extremely beneficial on any long auto trips.

    YMMV but you can rest assured I do not own stock or work for Saunders.

    Gator Bob Siegel

    "S. Segal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Stress-induced lower back pain? That could be what I have. I'm a fairly stressed-out type of
    > person at times and have also tried many medical docs and meds, but nothing seems to have helped.
    > I'll take a look at the
    Saunders
    > products and may try them. Thanks for the advice.
    >

    > "Robert Siegel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I have long worn Saunders shorts, made specifically to provide back
    > support.
    > > They are firm but minimal and comfortable and I wear them for all
    > exercise,
    > > biking and lifting.
    > >
    > > This Saunders Back product just about ended any stress-induced lower
    back
    > > pain .. and that's after I suffered for many years with low back pain, chiropractors, etc. A
    > > pair costs about $50 and comes in men's.,
    women's,
    > > black and white. Can be bought online.
    > > --
    > > Gator Bob Siegel NOT in Gainesville FL "fblum" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > I'm confused- I can't imagine a source of hip, pelvic and lower back pain that would be helped
    > > > by compression shorts ....unless it is all lower back/nerve problems and the compression is
    > > > giving you lumbar support. Compression shorts do differ from unpadded bike shorts- the former
    > > > is meant to squeeze and the latter is mean to snuggly stay on. Have you tried placing a little
    > > > lumbar support on your seat to see if that also helps? Also stretching your hamstrings before
    > > > and during a long ride often helps if it back/sciatic pain. hope this helps.
    > > >

    > > > --

  9. To be specific I wear the Saunders S'portMax, somewhat more of a garment than a back support.

    Gator Bob Siegel NOT presently in Gainesville FL "Robert Siegel" <[email protected]net> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...
    > I just checked the Saunders website www.thesaundersgroup.com
    >
    > The Saunder S'portMax is currently on sale for $39.95, reduced from
    $49.95.

    > Based on my personal experience over the last five or six years using a Saunders back support, I
    > strongly urge anyone who has any back pain to try one for biking, exercise and any work involving
    > bending or lifting. I
    also
    > find wearing it extremely beneficial on any long auto trips.
    >
    > YMMV but you can rest assured I do not own stock or work for Saunders.
    >
    > Gator Bob Siegel
    >
    > "S. Segal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Stress-induced lower back pain? That could be what I have. I'm a fairly stressed-out type of
    > > person at times and have also tried many medical
    docs
    > > and meds, but nothing seems to have helped. I'll take a look at the
    > Saunders
    > > products and may try them. Thanks for the advice.
    > >

    > > "Robert Siegel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > I have long worn Saunders shorts, made specifically to provide back
    > > support.
    > > > They are firm but minimal and comfortable and I wear them for all
    > > exercise,
    > > > biking and lifting.
    > > >
    > > > This Saunders Back product just about ended any stress-induced lower
    > back
    > > > pain .. and that's after I suffered for many years with low back pain, chiropractors, etc. A
    > > > pair costs about $50 and comes in men's.,
    > women's,
    > > > black and white. Can be bought online.
    > > > --
    > > > Gator Bob Siegel NOT in Gainesville FL "fblum" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > > > message news:[email protected]...

  10. Dave Miller

    Dave Miller Guest

    On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 04:59:34 GMT, "S. Segal" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I posted a message about a week ago, in which I asked people if they had any recommendations on
    >what to do about groin pain. As it turns out, it wasn't groin pain, but hip and lower back pain,
    >with a little pelvic pain added in. For the past month, nothing has seemed to work. I tried several
    >doctors, many types of medicines, and am also seeing a physical therapist.
    >
    >But today, I found out about compression shorts. I guess I haven't been paying attention, because
    >these types of shorts have been around for a while! But my question is: are they any different than
    >regular lycra bike shorts? I bought a cheap pair of compression shorts at Wal-Mart, and I was able
    >to ride today with no problems. Granted, I didn't ride hard as it was my first time back on the
    >bent after pulling all those muscles. But I was impressed with the shorts.
    >
    >Anybody who has worn compression shorts, I'd like your opinions on which brand you think would be
    >best for cycling. Thanks in advance!

    Now I'm confused... I think I use "compression shorts" all the time , Lycra running type shorts (??)
    but I am the king of frugal and have never seen them in Walmart. Were these underware type
    compression shorts or outerware? And what department in Walmart?

    Thanks

  11. S. Segal

    S. Segal Guest

    <Dave Miller> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 04:59:34 GMT, "S. Segal" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I posted a message about a week ago, in which I asked people if they had any recommendations on
    > >what to do about groin pain. As it turns out, it wasn't groin pain, but hip and lower back pain,
    > >with a little pelvic pain added in. For the past month, nothing has seemed to work. I tried
    > >several doctors, many types of medicines, and am also seeing a physical
    therapist.

    > >But today, I found out about compression shorts. I guess I haven't been paying attention, because
    > >these types of shorts have been around for a while! But my question is: are they any different
    > >than regular lycra bike shorts? I bought a cheap pair of compression shorts at Wal-Mart, and I
    was
    > >able to ride today with no problems. Granted, I didn't ride hard as it
    was
    > >my first time back on the bent after pulling all those muscles. But I was impressed with the
    > >shorts.
    > >
    > >Anybody who has worn compression shorts, I'd like your opinions on which brand you think would be
    > >best for cycling. Thanks in advance!
    > >

    > Now I'm confused... I think I use "compression shorts" all the time , Lycra running type shorts
    > (??) but I am the king of frugal and have never seen them in Walmart. Were these underware type
    > compression shorts or outerware? And what department in Walmart?
    >
    > Thanks

    Compression shorts are different than regular bike shorts. They are designed in such a way (to be
    worn as underwear), that they keep certain muscles from tightening. There are different kinds of
    compression shorts for different muscle groups. A good website that I found for info on compression
    shorts is http://www.underarmour.com. It's a commercial site, but has good info. The two shorts that
    they recommend for cycling are numbers 0026 and 0069.

  12. S. Segal

    S. Segal Guest

    Thanks!

    "Robert Siegel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > To be specific I wear the Saunders S'portMax, somewhat more of a garment than a back support.
    >
    > Gator Bob Siegel NOT presently in Gainesville FL "Robert Siegel" <[email protected]>
    > wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I just checked the Saunders website www.thesaundersgroup.com
    > >
    > > The Saunder S'portMax is currently on sale for $39.95, reduced from
    > $49.95.
    > >
    > > Based on my personal experience over the last five or six years using a Saunders back support, I
    > > strongly urge anyone who has any back pain to
    try
    > > one for biking, exercise and any work involving bending or lifting. I
    > also
    > > find wearing it extremely beneficial on any long auto trips.
    > >
    > > YMMV but you can rest assured I do not own stock or work for Saunders.
    > >
    > > Gator Bob Siegel
    > >
    > > "S. Segal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Stress-induced lower back pain? That could be what I have. I'm a
    fairly
    > > > stressed-out type of person at times and have also tried many medical
    > docs
    > > > and meds, but nothing seems to have helped. I'll take a look at the
    > > Saunders
    > > > products and may try them. Thanks for the advice.
    > > >

    > > > "Robert Siegel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > support.
    > > > exercise,

    > > back
    > > women's,
    the
    > on.
    > if

  13. S. Segal

    S. Segal Guest

    Forgot to mention that I found them in the sporting goods section at Wal-Mart.

    <Dave Miller> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 04:59:34 GMT, "S. Segal" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I posted a message about a week ago, in which I asked people if they had any recommendations on
    > >what to do about groin pain. As it turns out, it wasn't groin pain, but hip and lower back pain,
    > >with a little pelvic pain added in. For the past month, nothing has seemed to work. I tried
    > >several doctors, many types of medicines, and am also seeing a physical
    therapist.

    > >But today, I found out about compression shorts. I guess I haven't been paying attention, because
    > >these types of shorts have been around for a while! But my question is: are they any different
    > >than regular lycra bike shorts? I bought a cheap pair of compression shorts at Wal-Mart, and I
    was
    > >able to ride today with no problems. Granted, I didn't ride hard as it
    was
    > >my first time back on the bent after pulling all those muscles. But I was impressed with the
    > >shorts.
    > >
    > >Anybody who has worn compression shorts, I'd like your opinions on which brand you think would be
    > >best for cycling. Thanks in advance!
    > >

    > Now I'm confused... I think I use "compression shorts" all the time , Lycra running type shorts
    > (??) but I am the king of frugal and have never seen them in Walmart. Were these underware type
    > compression shorts or outerware? And what department in Walmart?
    >
    > Thanks

  14. Joe Sozanski

    Joe Sozanski Guest

    Yeah, I saw a guy riding in a pair of those last year they were about as see thru as pantyhose. It
    was obvious to everybody that saw him that he didn't have anything else on! Noticed several cars
    weaving a bit staring at him. On top of that it was only about 50 deg max that day. I've got some of
    those type and sure wouldn't wear them like bike shorts. Joe Wishbone #56 Elmira NY

    news:<[email protected]>...