Compression shorts?

aTmSpectre

Jul 21, 2004
Being a swimmer I'm well away of the horrible effects that happen when your musles are allowed to just flap around. So I have a problem, my cycling shorts don't have the kind of support around my main muscle groups that my swim suits do, but my swim suits don't have the padding that my cycling shorts do.

Are there any companies that make a cycling short that is specifily designed with pressure and compression in mind?

Does anybody else have any idea what I'm talking about?

I think i'd look like a damn fool ridding around town in my Speedo Sharksuit

aTmSpectre said:
Being a swimmer I'm well away of the horrible effects that happen when your musles are allowed to just flap around. So I have a problem, my cycling shorts don't have the kind of support around my main muscle groups that my swim suits do, but my swim suits don't have the padding that my cycling shorts do.

Are there any companies that make a cycling short that is specifily designed with pressure and compression in mind?

Bike shorts as tight as Ian Thorpe's bodysuit?

Interesting.

ed073 said:
Bike shorts as tight as Ian Thorpe's bodysuit?

Interesting.
Yep, that's what I want. It's not really just how tight they are either, they have to be the right materials, alot of bike shorts are too much nylon or cotton to really compress your muscles. My sharksuit is almost 100% lycra and had rips in it to hold it really tight around the muscles.

aTmSpectre said:
Yep, that's what I want. It's not really just how tight they are either, they have to be the right materials, alot of bike shorts are too much nylon or cotton to really compress your muscles. My sharksuit is almost 100% lycra and had rips in it to hold it really tight around the muscles.

Hmmm....good luck.

not sure how many bike shorts are made of cotton, though. Lycra (or variations of it) is the material of choice.

Maybe you could try a weightlifting/powerlifting suit for ultimate compression? :)

ed073 said:
Hmmm....good luck.

not sure how many bike shorts are made of cotton, though. Lycra (or variations of it) is the material of choice.

Maybe you could try a weightlifting/powerlifting suit for ultimate compression? :)
Hadn't thought about that. Just wear the powerlifting suit underneath my shorts and jersey. Any ide how much those suits cost?

aTmSpectre said:

I'm not a swimmer, so I'm apparently not aware of the horrible effects that happen when my muscles flap around? It can't be too bad since I haven't noticed riders in the Tour exploding or catching fire or anything, but I am curious...

Dean

When your muscles arn't compressed they can't perform at optimum strength. As they move they vibrate and this vibration costs you some of the power. This is more an issue with short burst like in sprinting, anybody who swims alot can attest to how much better your muscles feel after doing the same workout with a compression suit on. Your muscles don't get that "achy" feeling nearly as bad. Usually you see compression suits and shorts on things that require explosive power such as powerlifting, sprinting, football, etc.

You can buy compression shorts taht you wear like underwear, but they don't work nearly as well as a dedicated product. It's possible that tour riders wear these kind of shorts, but i'm not sure. Some of the track riders are probably familiar with what i'm talking about though.

aTmSpectre said:
awesome, you think i'd get funny looks showing up to a race in one of those?:D

not if you got out of the car and snatched 150kgs.....

aTmSpectre said:

I think that this company makes some such promises about their shorts:

http://www.cw-x.com/products/cycling_features.php

I believe, too that Assos' FI.Mille Shorts (the one with the microfiber "triangle" inserts in the legs) makes similar claims, as do the new Castelli YPro3 shorts with the "vibra" lycra.

Only one of these shorts I've tried is the Assos FI.Mille, which is a very nice (very expensive) short that I generally try to save for longer rides. YMMV.

supergiraffe said:
I think that this company makes some such promises about their shorts:

http://www.cw-x.com/products/cycling_features.php

I believe, too that Assos' FI.Mille Shorts (the one with the microfiber "triangle" inserts in the legs) makes similar claims, as do the new Castelli YPro3 shorts with the "vibra" lycra.

Only one of these shorts I've tried is the Assos FI.Mille, which is a very nice (very expensive) short that I generally try to save for longer rides. YMMV.

Great gear....

Castelli..$$$$
Assos..$$$$$$$

aTmSpectre said:

seems to me your going to fry when the sun comes out , swimming will keep you cool but when cycling you need to sweat to keep cool - seems to me that if Lance Armstrong can win six tours in cycle shorts then they might work for you as well so give them a try .

el Inglés said:
seems to me your going to fry when the sun comes out , swimming will keep you cool but when cycling you need to sweat to keep cool - seems to me that if Lance Armstrong can win six tours in cycle shorts then they might work for you as well so give them a try .
If nobody else is using them then Lance is not at a competative disadvantage.

Remember. A lot of people won multiple tours without aerobars on their TT bikes, but when LeMond used them he got the advantage and won...

I am not saying that I think they would nesisarily help. Just don't dismiss it so quickly...

tamman2000 said:
If nobody else is using them then Lance is not at a competative disadvantage.

Remember. A lot of people won multiple tours without aerobars on their TT bikes, but when LeMond used them he got the advantage and won...

I am not saying that I think they would nesisarily help. Just don't dismiss it so quickly...
I also would not rule out that he's using them. I've found a few cycling shorts that are built with that in mind, but they are all WAY over $100. I would have a hard time believing that anybody big on the tour isn't going to be using the newest and the best, which would mean way over $100.

you might want to try UnderArmor brand sportswear. They have several compression shirts and shorts.

Bolo Grubb said:
you might want to try UnderArmor brand sportswear. They have several compression shirts and shorts.
Agreed, just look out there, almost every athletic wear brand has some compression, moisture wicking, performance clothing. I would check out UnderArmour though.