Compton to race UCI schedule

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by [email protected], Jan 20, 2006.

  1. >From Cyclingnews:
    U.S. national cyclocross champion Katie Compton's approach to 'cross is
    unique for the fact that in the past two years in a row, she's come out
    of Colorado for only one major 'cross race a year; and won a national
    championship jersey both times. As most people who've followed her
    story know, Compton avoids UCI competition to retain eligibility for
    Paralympics, where she acts as the pilot to a blind stoker in a
    track-tandem duo. Due to a recent clarification in Paralympics
    eligibility rules though, the elite Carmichael Training Systems coach
    says she'll be taking things differently next season.

    "After not going to world's again and everyone questioning the whole
    UCI points thing, I talked to the head of U.S. Paralympics," Compton
    said. The issue of where athletes like Compton could compete and still
    be eligible for Paralympics was brought before the International
    Paralympics Committee. Compton says she wasn't the only athlete that
    needed clarification. "I know that they had an issue with an Australian
    (tandem) pilot. She was doing higher-level events and it raised the
    question openly of what we can actually do and still be eligible for
    Paralympics."

    "The committee refined the rule for me," Compton said. "I can actually
    race UCI races and I will be able to compete for UCI points next
    season. I just can't go to Worlds or race for my country in any
    international competition."

    The answer opens up the entire cyclocross calendar to Compton. But will
    it change her racing schedule? "There's a UCI race in Boulder next
    year; I'll probably do that. Chances are I won't travel to any races
    though; I can still get better training staying at home and resting
    rather than fly everywhere. But," she adds, "you never know. Next
    season is a long way off."

    Beyond 2006/2007, Compton says she remains focused on the 2008
    Paralympics but after says, "as long as I'm healthy and still riding
    well, I want to switch to 'cross full time."

    Stay tuned to Cyclingnews in the next few days for a complete interview
    with the 2004/2005 U.S. cyclocross national champion.

    It's good to see that someone can be reasonable to her case and in a
    relatively short period of time.

    Tags:

  2. On 20 Jan 2006 06:44:23 -0800, "[email protected]"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >It's good to see that someone can be reasonable to her case and in a
    >relatively short period of time.

    Maybe technically. If the paras are competitions, then she should not
    be riding IMO. When does Lance go off the UCI point board? Anyone
    think it fair if a recovering pro riding amateur should be riding
    pilot on a para tandem?

    If its a ride, fine. If its a competiton, then restrict the captains.
    You wouldn't be putting cat 1 captains in a cat 3 tandem competiton
    and I don't see the difference here, however positive the motivation.

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  3. Then tell her she has to do one or the other...I think it's a little
    ridiculous to more or less punish her for being a tandem pilot, or
    anything else. Who really cares about the para's anyway? It certainly
    isn't helping Compton's career, which says something about her
    character, IMO. But if the rules are the rules, then make her choose.

  4. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Then tell her she has to do one or the other...I think it's a little
    > ridiculous to more or less punish her for being a tandem pilot, or
    > anything else. Who really cares about the para's anyway? It certainly
    > isn't helping Compton's career, which says something about her
    > character, IMO. But if the rules are the rules, then make her choose.

    That was their position before they became, as you put it,
    reasonable.

    A number of years ago Pam Fernandez showed up at a race
    that I was working. It was many years ago, but I remember
    her. I don't remember her pilot. I can sort of picture
    him, but for the life of me I couldn't tell you his name.

    In Compton's case it is the opposite. Everyone knows all
    about Katie. And the stoker, who the competition is
    supposed to be about, is anonymous.

    I don't think they should make Compton choose. They should
    choose for her. She should be out of the paralympics, for
    the reasons Curtis mentioned. If rules are rules she is
    clearly not allowed. The competition is not about her.

    Bob Schwartz

  5. alan_atwood

    alan_atwood Guest

    The one thing that has yet to be explained to me is how her doing UCI
    cyclocross races is going to adversely affect her racing on the track
    with a blind stoker? Where's the conflict here?

    Alan

  6. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    alan_atwood wrote:
    > The one thing that has yet to be explained to me is how her doing UCI
    > cyclocross races is going to adversely affect her racing on the track
    > with a blind stoker? Where's the conflict here?

    Thanks, you're making my point.

    Any effect on Compton's racing is completely irrelevant.
    Because the competition is supposed to be about the
    unknown, anonymous and completely forgotten person
    behind her on the tandem.

    The issue is supposed to be fairness to all the other
    competitors that followed the rules and did not pair
    with an elite athlete. The fact that so many people see
    this as an issue of fairness to someone that is not
    the focus of the competition shows why elite athletes
    should be excluded. If they are nice people and loyal
    and working from the most noble of motivations they
    should still be excluded.

    Bob Schwartz