UK and Europe · Public discussion

Compulsory helmets again!

Started by Richard Burton · · Last activity · 196 posts · 9,158 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
7 November 2003
Last activity
19 November 2003
Original author
Richard Burton
Posts
196
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
9,158
Views / 30 days
81

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 121–140 of 196
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Just zis Guy said:

    You told him his PFDB would not protect his brain owing to being three feet above it, then? ;-P

    <G>

    I refrained, with difficulty, from commenting. Suggesting to the Merkins on rsu that a helmet may
    not save your life every time you ride is even more futile than trying to explain to a born again
    Christian that God may not actually exist ;-)

    --
    Danny Colyer (catch the cow to reply) juggler.netdanny Recumbent cycle page:
    speedy5.freeserve.co.ukrecumbents "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -
    Thomas Paine

  2. Ian said:

    I'm not trying to show a definitive trend, just that the anti helmet lobby are not looking at the
    whole picture.

    There is no anti-helmet lobby. I challenge you to produce one post from this group in which anyone
    suggested that other people should not wear helmets if they want to. I don't believe you can.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) jasmine.org.uk~simon Das Internet is nicht fuer
    gefingerclicken und giffengrabben... Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das mausklicken
    sichtseeren keepen das bandwit-spewin hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das
    cursorblinken. -- quoted from the jargon file

  3. Ian said:

    So you are saying that bicycle helmets have no benefit whatsoever and are designed as such, ergo,
    to simplify it, if the helmet will absorb a 10mph impact, it it not basically true to say that it
    would reduce the effects of a 20mph impact to those of a 10mph impact.

    No, absolutely not. Impact force follows a square rule so the force of a 20mph impact is not twice a
    10mph impact, it's four times. Thus the force of a 20mph impact minus the force of a 10mph impact is
    the force of an 18.3mph impact[1].

    Quoted message said:

    you are saying that if the design limits are exceeded then the benefits cease rather than
    are reduced

    No, they don't cease, but they are not very significant. As I posted earlier the design limits of a
    bicycle helmet are equivalent to falling 71cm. Obviously, it's equivalent to falling 71cm without
    being able to put a hand out to break your fall, but I think you'll agree you would not expect many
    people to be much injured in a fall of 71cm.

    In other words cycling helmets are designed to protect you against forces which are not really great
    enough to cause significant injury in the first place. If the force exceeds this design limit then
    of course the helmet must ameliorate the impact - but not very much, because the protection offered
    by the helmet is not very much in the first place.

    [1] I'm not absolutely confident of my maths here. I used 20 - ( ( sqrt( 20) - sqrt( 10))^2)) = 20 -
    1.7 = 18.3

    However even if I'm wrong the force of a 20mph impact minus the force of a 10mph impact must
    exceed the force of a 15mph impact.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) jasmine.org.uk~simon Das Internet is nicht fuer
    gefingerclicken und giffengrabben... Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das mausklicken
    sichtseeren keepen das bandwit-spewin hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das
    cursorblinken. -- quoted from the jargon file

  4. Simon Brooke said:
    Ian said:

    I'm not trying to show a definitive trend, just that the anti helmet lobby are not looking at the
    whole picture.

    There is no anti-helmet lobby. I challenge you to produce one post from this group in which anyone
    suggested that other people should not wear helmets if they want to. I don't believe you can.

    But there are many that argue against even campaigns encouraging helmet wear for fear of setting up
    a "cycling is dangerous" perception.

    The line of argument I find difficult runs something like: "I wear a helmet sometimes, even often,
    because I feel it gives me a benefit when I wear it. But I don't want the benefits of helmet wear to
    be publicised to others less knowledgeable than I lest they or others be discouraged from cycling"

    pk

  5. Simon Brooke <[email hidden]>typed

    Quoted message said:

    [1] I'm not absolutely confident of my maths here. I used 20 - ( ( sqrt( 20) - sqrt( 10))^2)) = 20
    - 1.7 = 18.3

    Quoted message said:

    However even if I'm wrong the force of a 20mph impact minus the force of a 10mph impact must
    exceed the force of a 15mph impact.

    20*20 = 400 10*10 = 100

    400 - 100 = 300 Square root of 300 is 17.32

    The way I see it is you are basically right but arithmetic needed adjustment.

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email hidden] Edgware.

  6. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm not trying to show a definitive trend, just that the anti helmet lobby are not looking at
    the whole picture.

    There is no anti-helmet lobby. I challenge you to produce one post from this group in which
    anyone suggested that other people should not wear helmets if they want to. I don't believe
    you can.

    But there are many that argue against even campaigns encouraging helmet


    wear

    Quoted message said:

    for fear of setting up a "cycling is dangerous" perception.

    The line of argument I find difficult runs something like: "I wear a


    helmet

    Quoted message said:

    sometimes, even often, because I feel it gives me a benefit when I wear


    it.

    Quoted message said:

    But I don't want the benefits of helmet wear to be publicised to others


    less

    Quoted message said:

    knowledgeable than I lest they or others be discouraged from cycling"

    I think if we stick "exaggerated" before "benefits" we get a slightly sounder argument.

    /whinge/ It seems most people are against the publicising of dubious or optimistic claims about the
    effectiveness of cycle helmets, as this would make compulsion more likely. As no one seems to have
    come up with compelling evidence that shows a statistically significant benefit to populations
    wearing helmets, it does seem logical to be against compulsion. In my (humble) view, central
    government should not be concerned with preventing minor scrapes and bruises and concussion. That's
    the job of personal responsibility. Those who don't want the bother of getting concussion, scrapes,
    bruises and maybe the inconvenience of a trip to the A+E just to make sure, choose to wear a helmet.
    Those with a misplaced sense of confidence, a relaxed view about pain or who merely relish looking
    like they've lost a fight, don't!

    After reading through everyones posts I suspect that the public view of what helmets do and the
    message given by the marketing (save your life) is optimistic. The reality of what they actually do,
    does make them well worthwhile wearing but the expectation given by the marketing is inflated.
    Either that or there are a lot of flawed studies being thrown around in this ng!

    What we need is either helmets that perform as well as the compulsion people think they do, then
    they /may/ have a case for compulsion. But, given the number of deaths the case for prosecuting
    people for riding a push bike with a bare head isn't particularly compelling.

    /whinge off/

  7. Mark Thompson said:

    What we need is either helmets that perform as well as the compulsion people think they do, then
    they /may/ have a case for compulsion. But, given the number of deaths the case for prosecuting
    people for riding a push bike with a bare head isn't particularly compelling.

    The real problem is the simple financial one that enough research has been done to make quite clear
    that if the helemt manufacturers actually made a helmet which *was* as good their claims then nobody
    would buy it because it would be too big and heavy. What they actually sell is something that is as
    big and heavy as the market will put up with. The problem is that the level of protection it offers
    covers the same range of impact as evolution, reflexes, etc., already cover very well, i.e., the
    approach of something hard towards the head at running speeds.

    What is needed to cut serious head injuries and deaths is a helmet which protects against concussive
    damage at impact speeds higher than that, e.g. collisions with a hard object at a relative speed
    exceeding 20mph. But that is exactly where the current crop of helmets *stop* protecting you. No
    wonder statistical tests have to be severely rigged to show any benefit. If current helmets just
    protected up to 25mph they'd show benefits quite easily. But they don't, and the history of the
    research shows quite clearly why: it's all been concerned with finding ways to justify more
    marketable helmets, i.e., smaller lighter ones. We're being sold "magic" helmets because not enough
    of us would buy helmets which worked.

    No problem with that, it's simple basic market place economics and human choice. Then along come
    politicians who buy the advertising spiel and want to *force* us to wear magic helmets. The problem
    is how to stop the juggernaut that's created when a profitable industry with lots of profit-led
    "scientific" studies selling its products starts making a profitable alliance with politicians who
    can pass regulations which would increase profits even more, and who can't tell the difference
    between science and advertising disguised as science.

    It's the same kind of thing as happens in the drug industry.
    --
    Chris Malcolm [email hidden] +44 (0)131 651 3445 DoD #205 IPAB, Informatics, JCMB, King's
    Buildings, Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ, UK ["]http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

  8. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Mark Thompson
    > >> I'm not trying to show a definitive trend, just that the anti helmet lobby are not looking at

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the whole picture.

    There is no anti-helmet lobby. I challenge you to produce one post from this group in which
    anyone suggested that other people should not wear helmets if they want to. I don't believe
    you can.

    But there are many that argue against even campaigns encouraging helmet


    wear
    Quoted message said:

    for fear of setting up a "cycling is dangerous" perception.

    The line of argument I find difficult runs something like: "I wear a


    helmet
    Quoted message said:

    sometimes, even often, because I feel it gives me a benefit when I wear


    it.
    Quoted message said:

    But I don't want the benefits of helmet wear to be publicised to others


    less
    Quoted message said:

    knowledgeable than I lest they or others be discouraged from cycling"



    I think if we stick "exaggerated" before "benefits" we get a slightly sounder argument.

    /whinge/ It seems most people are against the publicising of dubious or optimistic claims about the
    effectiveness of cycle helmets, as this would make compulsion more likely. As no one seems to have
    come up with compelling evidence that shows a statistically significant benefit to populations
    wearing helmets, it does seem logical to be against compulsion. In my (humble) view, central
    government should not be concerned with preventing minor scrapes and bruises and concussion. That's
    the job of personal responsibility. Those who don't want the bother of getting concussion, scrapes,
    bruises and maybe the inconvenience of a trip to the A+E just to make sure, choose to wear a helmet.
    Those with a misplaced sense of confidence, a relaxed view about pain or who merely relish looking
    like they've lost a fight, don't!

    After reading through everyones posts I suspect that the public view of what helmets do and the
    message given by the marketing (save your life) is optimistic. The reality of what they actually do,
    does make them well worthwhile wearing but the expectation given by the marketing is inflated.
    Either that or there are a lot of flawed studies being thrown around in this ng!

    What we need is either helmets that perform as well as the compulsion people think they do, then
    they /may/ have a case for compulsion. But, given the number of deaths the case for prosecuting
    people for riding a push bike with a bare head isn't particularly compelling.

    /whinge off/

    Hello,

    I know I might sound like a boring killjoy but I can't believe that people would ride without a helmet. There is stacks of evidence that helmets significantly reduce the risk of injury and death in cycling accidents and that legislation increases use of helmets. A meta-analysis of bicycle helmet efficacy studies found statistically significant protective effect of helmets (Accident Analysis & Prevention. 33(3):345-52, 2001). A case controlled study in the effectiveness of bicycle safety helmets in preventing head injuries also ( JAMA. 276(24):1968-73, 1996 Dec 25) found that "Bicycle helmets, regardless of type, provide substantial protection against head injuries for cyclists of all ages involved in crashes, including crashes involving motor vehicles." (these are just 2 of 100's of studies)

    Helmets are not that bad to wear anyway

  9. Danny Colyer said:
    Just zis Guy said:

    .... the leading study quoted by helmet advocates also manages to show that helmets reduce leg
    and torso injuries?

    Quoted message said:

    Actually I now have a mechanism for this, of sorts.

    Quoted message said:

    A few months ago someone posted to rec.sport.unicycling (unfortunately I am now unable to find the
    post) describing a fall that he had while mountain biking. He commented that he was glad he'd been
    wearing a helmet, because otherwise he would have made an effort not to hit his head. He felt that
    by not making any effort to avoid hitting his head, he was able to make an effort instead to avoid
    damage to his arms and legs.

    Quoted message said:

    I found it rather worrying that anyone would put so much faith in a PFDB that he would make no
    effort to avoid hitting his head in the event of a tumble. Come to think of it, that could also be
    a valid mechanism for helmets to increase head injuries among the stupid...

    I think wearing tough leather gloves reduces my chances of a head injury because it reduces my fear
    of gravel rash etc. if I throw my hands out in front of my head. This feeling of vulnerable hands
    affects my traffic behaviour too. I notice on hot days when I don't wear gloves on a motorcycle that
    I unconsciously curb my speed because my hands feel more vulnerable.
    --
    Chris Malcolm [email hidden] +44 (0)131 651 3445 DoD #205 IPAB, Informatics, JCMB, King's
    Buildings, Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ, UK ["]http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

  10. Caitie said:


    Hello,

    I know I might sound like a boring killjoy but I can't believe that people would ride without
    a helmet.

    Yawn. Go troll somewhere else

    Tony

  11. Tony Raven said:
    Caitie said:


    Hello,

    I know I might sound like a boring killjoy but I can't believe that people would ride without a
    helmet.

    Yawn. Go troll somewhere else

    Tony


    I'm slowly getting tired of postings that arrive through cyclingforums.com

    Whilst some of them are sesnsible, many are not. Genuine URCers seem to (on the whole) give more
    thought to what they post.

    Unfortunately, I do not wish to send all cyclingforum posts to the killfile because, as I say, some
    of them are well thought out.

    Just a thought.

    Love and port 119 from Rich x

    --
    Sig got lost during a reinstall

  12. "Ian" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Just zis Guy, you know? scribed with passion and wit:

    Quoted message said:


    Call it a foible. I can't allow advocacy of compulsory helmets pass unchallenged, because the
    only research that has ever suggested


    significant

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    benefit from wearing a helmet has been from people who have already made


    up

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    their minds that they want helmets to be compulsory, and no country


    which

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    has tried it has actually reduced injury rates. Cycling rates, yes,


    helmet

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    laws cut cycling rates pretty dramatically, but injury rates remain the same. Until we know why
    I am unwilling for me or my children to be lab


    rats

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    in the same failed experiment.

    So all the development that helmet manufacturers put into helmets is not worth a light? Can you
    tell me what the vast majority of cycle injuries


    are?

    Quoted message said:

    We are not talking about the blanket of all injuries here afterall, just head injuries, you
    trotting out non specifics and swallowing wholesale non specifics from elsewhere is showing you to
    have "ostrich" syndrome.

    Lets look at New Zealand.

    " The relatively large increase in helmet wearing associated with the passing of a compulsory
    helmet wearing law in 1994 reduced head injuries


    by

    Quoted message said:

    between 24 and 32% in non-motor vehicle crashes, and by 20% in motor


    vehicle

    Quoted message said:

    crashes."

    Povey L J, Frith W J, Graham P G. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 1999; volume 31, pp 763-770

    Note no mention of broken legs or broken arms here, it is specific, something you have failed to
    be on a consistent basis.

    Australia.

    "In Australia, recent mass data indicates that 25 per cent of bicyclists admitted to hospital, and
    44 per cent of those killed, had head injury as their single most important injury. These figures
    do not include multiple injuries, among many of which are unrecorded head injuries. Head injury is


    a

    Quoted message said:

    cause of death in 80 per cent of cyclists' deaths and 33 per cent of reported injuries in
    Victoria, and several other studies have shown that, depending how the statistics are collected
    and analysed, bicycle crashes result in serious head injuries in one-quarter to two-thirds of
    bicyclists admitted to hospital, and up to 80 per cent if the collisions involved a motor vehicle.
    Up to 80 per cent of deaths among bicyclists are due to severe head injury."

    Of course this isn't worth anything to you because you would rather we


    have

    Quoted message said:

    a head injury and a broken leg rather than just the leg, so you can say


    that

    Quoted message said:

    we need to educate car drivers, a few more brain damaged kids will help further your cause
    afterall.

    From the same report.

    "Bicycle crashes occur mainly during times of heavy traffic, and during daylight. Three-quarters
    of crash victims are male, with a high proportion being teenagers on school trips and young adults
    on work trips. Most collisions between bicycles and cars occur at intersections or where cyclists
    or drivers enter a roadway. The commonest injuries are to the limbs"

    Well well, look at this, the commonest injuries are those to limbs,


    helmets

    Quoted message said:

    do not help limbs, so helmets are no good.

    Best to overlook.

    "Bicyclists admitted to hospital with head injuries are 20 times as likely to die as those
    without."

    Attributed to The Effectiveness of Bicycle Helmets: a review Henderson, Michael.

    Of course non of this research exists according to you.

    How about this non scientific test.

    sph.emory.eduboardman.html

    From a British study.

    "However, the great majority of the fatalities and approximately half the injuries - most of them
    to adults - result from damage to the head


    following

    Quoted message said:

    collision with a car or goods vehicle." The cycle helmet: friend or foe? Hillman, Meyer.

    There's that term "head injuries" again, not your blanket term "injuries", also note the frequency
    throughout of the link between head injuries and death, no sign of anyone dying from a broken
    finger, which is of course


    one

    Quoted message said:

    of the statistics you use to discourage helmet use.

    How much research do you want?

    Personally, I tend to believe the research which is long-term, whole population, done by unbiased
    statisticians, not that done by medical researchers who have already assumed that cycle helmets must
    be a "good thing" and go about their research so as to prove that assumption.

    Quoted message said:


    A study from Toronto concluded.

    "In analyzing the type of injuries resulting in deaths, it was noted that


    21

    Quoted message said:

    of the 38 victims (55 per cent) died as a result of head injuries."

    So come on, lose the blanket you hide behind and talk "head injuries".

    Just explain one thing: if all this research you quote is true, why has there been no effect on KSIs
    to cyclists in the real world? except to reduce the numbers of cyclists and therefore degrade the
    health of the population generally. And the latest report from USA shows an increase in KSIs with a
    rise in helmet-wearing.

    Quoted message said:


    Of course I'm sure no studies are valid unless you do them yourself with your huge knowledge of
    such matters[SARCASM]

    Not trying to pick a fight, just trying to open some eyes,

    None so blind as will not see. This is a political issue, not a road safey one. The politicians want
    to be seen to be doing something about the safety of cyclists, but must not been seen to be
    attacking the source of the problem, drivers. It is a medical tenet that you treat the cause of the
    disease, not the symptoms: cycle helmets do exactly the reverse, and have an overall negative effect
    on population health.

    Why do you think that BHIT have to lie in order to get MPs, admittedly unaware of the facts, to
    sign an EDM?

    and I still

    Quoted message said:

    advocate choice on wearing helmets in adults.

    How about choice in pedestrians or car passengers wearing them, where it would have much more effect
    that cycle helmets?

    Quoted message said:


    --
    Ian

    catrike.co.ukcatrike.co.uk

  13. Simon Brooke scribed with passion and wit:

    Quoted message said:
    Ian said:

    I'm not trying to show a definitive trend, just that the anti helmet lobby are not looking at the
    whole picture.

    There is no anti-helmet lobby. I challenge you to produce one post from this group in which anyone
    suggested that other people should not wear helmets if they want to. I don't believe you can.

    Actually Guy has been intoning that wearing helmets takes away responsibility from drivers to allow
    for cyclists amongst other things. The CTC are so negative as to be anti as well.

    --
    Ian

    catrike.co.ukcatrike.co.uk

  14. PK said:
    Simon Brooke said:
    Ian said:

    I'm not trying to show a definitive trend, just that the anti helmet lobby are not looking at
    the whole picture.

    There is no anti-helmet lobby. I challenge you to produce one post from this group in which
    anyone suggested that other people should not wear helmets if they want to. I don't believe
    you can.

    But there are many that argue against even campaigns encouraging helmet wear for fear of setting
    up a "cycling is dangerous" perception.

    The line of argument I find difficult runs something like: "I wear a helmet sometimes, even often,
    because I feel it gives me a benefit when I wear it. But I don't want the benefits of helmet wear
    to be publicised to others less knowledgeable than I lest they or others be discouraged from
    cycling"

    I wear a helmet occasionally when I'm doing things I know are silly and are likely to cause me to
    fall off - like trying a tricky new off-road downhill section. I do it to protect me from minor cuts
    and bruises. This seems rational.

    On the other hand, the evidence we have suggests that wearing a helmet on the road is probably
    _more_ (not less) dangerous than not wearing a helmet on the road. For myself, I am not
    sufficiently convinced about the strengh of that evidence, so I wouldn't try to persuade anyone
    else not to (although I don't myself). But I think it would be wildly irresponsible to advise
    people _to_ wear one.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) jasmine.org.uk~simon Das Internet is nicht fuer
    gefingerclicken und giffengrabben... Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das mausklicken
    sichtseeren keepen das bandwit-spewin hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das
    cursorblinken. -- quoted from the jargon file

  15. Simon Brooke scribed with passion and wit:

    Quoted message said:


    [1] I'm not absolutely confident of my maths here. I used 20 - ( ( sqrt( 20) - sqrt( 10))^2)) = 20
    - 1.7 = 18.3

    However even if I'm wrong the force of a 20mph impact minus the force of a 10mph impact must
    exceed the force of a 15mph impact.

    I did say I was SIMPLIFYING it in example, wha's wrong with you Simon? Trying for high
    blood pressure?

    --
    Ian

    catrike.co.ukcatrike.co.uk

  16. Helen Deborah Vecht said:

    Simon Brooke <[email hidden]>typed

    Quoted message said:

    [1] I'm not absolutely confident of my maths here. I used 20 - ( ( sqrt( 20) - sqrt( 10))^2)) =
    20 - 1.7 = 18.3

    Quoted message said:

    However even if I'm wrong the force of a 20mph impact minus the force of a 10mph impact must
    exceed the force of a 15mph impact.

    20*20 = 400 10*10 = 100

    400 - 100 = 300 Square root of 300 is 17.32

    The way I see it is you are basically right but arithmetic needed adjustment.

    Thank you, I have been worrying about that all night. I knew instinctively that the aswer had to be
    about 17, because of the shape of the curve... 18.3 looked too high.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) jasmine.org.uk~simon Das Internet is nicht fuer
    gefingerclicken und giffengrabben... Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das mausklicken
    sichtseeren keepen das bandwit-spewin hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das
    cursorblinken. -- quoted from the jargon file

  17. "Caitie" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Mark Thompson said:
    Quoted message said:

    >> I'm not trying to show a definitive trend, just that the anti helmet lobby are not
    >> looking at the whole picture.
    >
    > There is no anti-helmet lobby. I challenge you to produce one post from this group in
    > which anyone suggested that other people should not wear helmets if they want to. I don't
    > believe you can.

    But there are many that argue against even campaigns encouraging helmet


    wear

    Quoted message said:

    for fear of setting up a "cycling is dangerous" perception.

    The line of argument I find difficult runs something like: "I wear a


    helmet

    Quoted message said:

    sometimes, even often, because I feel it gives me a benefit when I wear


    it.

    Quoted message said:

    But I don't want the benefits of helmet wear to be publicised to others


    less

    Quoted message said:

    knowledgeable than I lest they or others be discouraged from


    cycling"

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I think if we stick "exaggerated" before "benefits" we get a slightly sounder argument.
    /whinge/ It seems most people are against the publicising of dubious


    or

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    optimistic claims about the effectiveness of cycle helmets, as this would make compulsion more
    likely. As no one seems to have come up


    with

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    compelling evidence that shows a statistically significant benefit to populations wearing
    helmets, it does seem logical to be against compulsion. In my (humble) view, central
    government should not be concerned with preventing minor scrapes and bruises and concussion.
    That's the job of personal responsibility. Those who don't want the bother of getting
    concussion, scrapes, bruises and maybe the inconvenience of a trip to the A+E just to make
    sure, choose to wear a helmet. Those with a misplaced sense of confidence, a relaxed view


    about

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    pain or who merely relish looking like they've lost a fight, don't! After reading through
    everyones posts I suspect that the public view


    of

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    what helmets do and the message given by the marketing (save your


    life)

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    is optimistic. The reality of what they actually do, does make them


    well

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    worthwhile wearing but the expectation given by the marketing is inflated. Either that or
    there are a lot of flawed studies being


    thrown

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    around in this ng! What we need is either helmets that perform as well as the compulsion
    people think they do, then they /may/ have a case for compulsion. But, given the number of
    deaths the case for prosecuting people for riding


    a

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    push bike with a bare head isn't particularly compelling. /whinge off/

    Quoted message said:

    Hello,

    I know I might sound like a boring killjoy but I can't believe that people would ride without a
    helmet. There is stacks of evidence that helmets significantly reduce the risk of injury and death
    in cycling accidents and that legislation increases use of helmets. A meta-analysis of bicycle
    helmet efficacy studies found statistically significant protective effect of helmets (Accident
    Analysis & Prevention.
    33(3):345-52, 2001). A case controlled study in the effectiveness of bicycle safety helmets in
    preventing head injuries also ( JAMA.
    276(24):1968-73, 1996 Dec 25) found that "Bicycle helmets, regardless of type, provide substantial
    protection against head injuries for cyclists of all ages involved in crashes, including
    crashes involving motor vehicles." (these are just 2 of 100's of studies)

    Helmets are not that bad to wear anyway

    Brilliant. Do you know if they're available online (nudge, nudge, link, link)?

    Anyway, to answer your question up top,

    Whether one wears a helmet depends on ones weighting of the 'inconvenience' of the helmet against
    the weighting of the risk and the likelihood of serious injury, and attitude to concussion. The risk
    of serious (i.e. hospital) injury to the head are smaller than a small thing thats been compacted by
    a professional compactor with big muscles.[2] Think about it. How many times in the rest of your
    life do you expect to fall off?[3] Once? Twice? If it's three times you need stabilisers! When you
    think of it that way, not wearing a helmet becomes more understandable. Small chance of accident,
    small chance of injury, not a great chance of that being to your head anyway, small chance of that
    being serious anyway. The statement ' I don't see why anyone wouldn't drive a volvo' has a similar
    answer. It's just different people making different judgements. Neither are wrong. (apart from the
    odd helmetless one that falls off & does smack his head really hard).

    [1] Where did 1 go?
    [2] This is seriously small. Trust me.
    [3] Mountain bikingdoesn't count - they're just asking for a spill! I'm just counting normal
    everyday pleasure riding/commuting

  18. Simon Brooke scribed with passion and wit:

    Quoted message said:
    Helen Deborah Vecht said:

    Simon Brooke <[email hidden]>typed

    Quoted message said:

    [1] I'm not absolutely confident of my maths here. I used 20 - ( ( sqrt( 20) - sqrt( 10))^2)) =
    20 - 1.7 = 18.3

    Quoted message said:

    However even if I'm wrong the force of a 20mph impact minus the force of a 10mph impact must
    exceed the force of a 15mph impact.

    20*20 = 400 10*10 = 100

    400 - 100 = 300 Square root of 300 is 17.32

    The way I see it is you are basically right but arithmetic needed adjustment.

    Thank you, I have been worrying about that all night. I knew instinctively that the aswer had to
    be about 17, because of the shape of the curve... 18.3 looked too high.


    How about the math to show the way that the closed cell foam in the helmet reacts differently to the
    higher impact? No thought not, that would be too balanced!

    --
    Ian

    catrike.co.ukcatrike.co.uk

  19. Simon Brooke said:

    On the other hand, the evidence we have suggests that wearing a helmet on the road is probably
    _more_ (not less) dangerous than not wearing a helmet on the road. For myself, I am not
    sufficiently convinced about the strengh of that evidence, so I wouldn't try to persuade anyone
    else not to (although I don't myself). But I think it would be wildly irresponsible to advise
    people _to_ wear one.

    Can you point me to that evidence?

    Specifically, evidence which shows that if I choose to wear a helmet but make no other changes to my
    cycling behaviour I am at more risk of head injury?

    Note, I'm not looking for large scale pre/post compulsion data, that is compounded and confounded by
    a range of impenetrables (oops! perhaps not the best choice of word, but I'll leave it!) but
    evidence of injury caused or made worse by wearing a helmet.

    pk

  20. I may as well throw in my tuppence worth.

    My helmet:-

    1. Keeps my head warm.
    2. Protects it from some injuries, hitting low branches, the gound, low speed accidents, i.e. most common minor accidents.
    3. Makes me look silly.

    My helmet will not stop me getting killed if a large motor vehicle hits me at anything above 30MPH. I hope however that this will not be a common occurence.

    And another thing, having recently returned from Australia, where they are compulsory, it is not a big issue, it's just like we are now used to using a seat belt in a car and feel naked when we haven't done it up (or is that just me).

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.