On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 11:02:23 -0000, "Danny Colyer"
<[email hidden]> wrote:
🙂I wrote: )> I'm all in favour, though the cagers may not like my ideas on this: )>
:speedy5.freeserve.co.ukifiruled.htmlOpen ↗ ) )Sorry, I must be starting to fall
:out of the habit of considering those )who read news offline, even though I still do so myself
:sometimes. Text )below:
Thanks !
🙂 )Road User's Licence ) )I believe that Cycling Proficiency training should be offered to all
🙂children over the age of 8. Children of secondary school age should be )required to pass their
:Cycling Proficiency before being allowed to cycle )in public places. The road skills and Highway
:Code knowledge learnt )during Cycling Proficiency training will be invaluable throughout life.
While I managed perfectly well without any tests, that was in a small town lacking all the fancy
road features seen in many places. Having said that, it does now have a couple ^H^H^H... three one
way streets, and a roundabout (mini) and "traffic lights" (disguised as a pelican crossing). I think
proper education for young cyclists would nowadays be more worthwhile considering the use roads get
now and all the oddities. Knowledge of the HC would also be good. But that applies to peds too !
🙂 )To continue cycling on public highways and public rights of way beyond )the age of 16, a cyclist
:should be required to pass a theory test )(demonstrating a good working knowledge of the Highway
:Code) and a )practical cycling test. Passing these tests would qualify the individual )for a 'Road
:User's Licence' (RUL), allowing him to cycle anywhere it is )legal to do so for as long as the
:licence is valid. A licence would need )to be renewed at 10-yearly intervals by passing another
:theory test and )another practical cycling test.
10 year (or so) licences for all vehicles is a step forward. They should also be tougher than the
first test to reflect the learning of new skills while using the vehicle on the road over the
previous 10 years.
🙂 )I anticipate that some people will object to the cycling requirement of )the RUL on grounds of
:balance problems or other disabilities. This is )not an issue, as any class of street legal solo
:pedal cycle may be used, )including tricycles and hand-cranked machines.
But a triciclist shouldn't be given a licence for a bike - akin to those who pass an automatic car
test can't drive a manual boxed car.
🙂As at present, pedestrians would have ultimate right of way on all roads )except for motorways
Agreed.
🙂and there would be no requirement to hold a RUL in order to )walk on the public highway or public
:rights of way.
Maybe there should - a simple test on courtesy and awareness of other road users and their rights -
it might even include a mild form of ASBO or drunk in charge of a pair of feet.
--
Comm again, Mike.