Compulsory trouser clips and indoor helmets

Tony Raven

Guest
Await new bills from the British Trouser Clip Initiative Trust and the British Indoor Helmet
Initiative Trust.

Tony

Wood floors spark trouser mishaps

The craze for wooden floors instead of carpets has led to a surge in accidents, figures suggest.
More than 12,000 people were hurt in falls onto wood in 2002 - a fourfold increase since 1998. Many
of these involved slipping while wearing socks. The fashion for pavement-length flared jeans also
seems to carry risks, according to the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) It says
"trouser-related mishaps" have nearly doubled to more than 9,000. Changing fashions is a recurring
theme in the latest RoSPA report on how people in the UK hurt themselves at home and during leisure
pursuits. Accident causes 2002 Microwaves: 2,700 High heels: 8,500 Skateboards: 39,000 Zip flies:
700 It estimates that 2.7 million people needed hospital treatment after accidents at home during
2002, while a further 2.8 million sought medical attention after being hurt while out and about.
While the overall trend is down, the numbers of certain types of accidents - such as those involving
wooden floors - has risen sharply. While carpets appear to be losing popularity they still caused
70,000 falls, up from 55,000 five years earlier.

The scooter craze has also taken its toll. In 1998, about 2,200 people, mainly children, came a
cropper in incidents involving the two-wheelers - usually the ordinary toy variety. But in 2002, a
total of 19,700 people were injured following the explosion in popularity of trendy adult scooters.
RoSPA is advising manufacturers planning new products to design with safety in mind, and to improve
safety information. But spokesman Roger Vincent added that some accidents could be put down to
misuse of products. "Some people don't listen to the warnings and they think it won't happen to
them," he said. "I would say to consumers that they should read the instructions."

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 09:04:33 -0000 someone who may be "Tony Raven"
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/3501857.stm

>how people in the UK hurt themselves at home and during leisure pursuits.

>High heels: 8,500 Zip flies: 700

I think we should be told more about these leisure pursuits:) They sound almost as perverted as
these people who go around in tight lycra clothes showing their bodies off:)

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 09:04:33 +0000, Tony Raven wrote:

> Zip flies: 700

Ouch!

--
"What! what! men, dodging this way for single bullets! What will you do when they open fire along
the whole line? I am ashamed of you. They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..." Gen. John

<[email protected]> wrote in message
<[email protected]>:

>Await new bills from the British Trouser Clip Initiative Trust and the British Indoor Helmet
>Initiative Trust.

Tee-hee! On the grounds that "trouser" is a Top Comedy Word, I propose that we launch the
aforementioned without further ado :)

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

Eugenio Mastroviti wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 09:04:33 +0000, Tony Raven wrote:
>
>> Zip flies: 700
>
> Ouch!

There's something about Mary ?

Tony

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 12:02:19 +0000, Eugenio Mastroviti wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 09:04:33 +0000, Tony Raven wrote:
>
>> Zip flies: 700
>
> Ouch!

I read it as "zip files" and spent some time wondering how one could hurt you. Doh!

--
Trevor Barton

Eugenio Mastroviti <[email protected]> writes:

>On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 09:04:33 +0000, Tony Raven wrote:

>> Zip flies: 700

>Ouch!

That's two fly zipping accidents a day which get medical treatment. And just how serious do these
accidents get? This could be the tip of the whatsit. It wouldn't surprise me if more days were lost
to British industry through zipper accidents than bicycle accidents.

[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

"Chris Malcolm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Eugenio Mastroviti <[email protected]> writes:
>
> >On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 09:04:33 +0000, Tony Raven wrote:
>
> >> Zip flies: 700
>
> >Ouch!
>
> That's two fly zipping accidents a day which get medical treatment. .

Must be a case for compulsory helmets!

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 20:55:45 +0000, congokid wrote:
> In message <[email protected]>, Eugenio Mastroviti
> <[email protected]> writes
>>On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 09:04:33 +0000, Tony Raven wrote:
>>
>>> Zip flies: 700
>>
>>Ouch!
>
> I wonder what the male/female breakdown of that is.

Well, it was 92% male 8% female before the incidents, rising to 64% female, 18% gender undetermined,
18% male after.

--
Trevor Barton

"burt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Chris Malcolm" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Eugenio Mastroviti <[email protected]> writes:

> > >Ouch!
> >
> > That's two fly zipping accidents a day which get medical treatment. .

I can only imagine that a lot of these are alcohol related too. Seems to contribute to most things.

Esp when ******. OTOH you'd probably get accidents from people putting helmets on badly when ******.

<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>Await new bills from the British Trouser Clip Initiative Trust and the British Indoor Helmet
>Initiative Trust.

And the following sad story perhaps illustrates the uses of pedestrian helmets, if one believes the
claims of BSHIT. However, I doubt if they will be taking this case up and using it as a way of
campaigning for pedestrian helmets. Perhaps pedestrians are less important.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/england/merseyside/3509885.stm