Computer advice for a new guy?

bradleyheathhay

May 12, 2012
Hi everybody. Just picked up a Trek 7.4 FX (SpeedTrap compatible fork) and after ten years of not having a bike I'm ready to get back out on the road again. Mostly I just want to get out and get some exercise for what's probably gonna be somewhere between 5 and 15 mile rides. My ride information needs aren't that great, and probably a less advanced computer would do me just fine. But, having no knowledge of modern bike computers I'm wondering now which one of these things I should be looking at. Any suggestions for a good SpeedTrap compatible bike computer for my bike?

Thanks, I'm all ears!

If the Cateye Mity 8 is still available, it's a no-brainer pick. They are simple to install, calibrate and operate, dead reliable, and can be found for $30 or less (at least last time I looked). They are wired, so require only one battery which lasts for years.

Well, I may have spoken too soon. After looking into current computers a little more I've decided I'd like to have just the basic functions like are on all computers plus cadence tracking, current and average, and heart rate. So that'll bring us up into a more pricey computer I'm sure. Also, I don't mind for the front sensor to be wired, but I'd like for at least the cadence sensor to be wireless. So if anyone has suggestions for a computer with just minimal functions plus cadence and heart beat please let me know.

You're falling into the same trap as me...when you start looking, you like all those lovely features that the more expensive computers get you!
Look at the Garmin 500, it'll give you much the same as my more expensive 800 but without the mapping. The premium heart rate sensor works nicely, you should be able to get a bundle deal with premium HR sensor and GSC10 sensor for speed/cadence.