computer advice

stu bryant

Oct 4, 2004
i am getting a bike computer is a wireless better?
and should i get the cadence feature?
and any brand better than others?
thanks stu

A bike computer with a cable is generally okay if they are zip tied onto your bike properly.

You probably have just as much chance of going over the handlebars and breaking your computer as you do getting your cable jagged on a branch, so I would recommend that you save yourself a little bit of dosh and get one with a cable.

In regards to a brand of computer - I would recommend cat eye!!

I think wired are better than wireless since my old Cateye Cordless 7 often gave me wild off-the-chart readings of max speed from time to time due to rf interference. I've since moved to a wired Sigma BC-1600 with cadence (I'm probably the only one in the city that has it on a mountain bike lol!) and it works wonders, and cheaper too! I also heard that wireless doesn't work during weather below the freezing mark.

Yeah, don't spend the extra $$ on the wireless function. Put that towards something else like a new set of gloves or grips, lube etc.

Also, seeing as this is the MTB forum, I assume its going on your MTB. But, where do you ride your MTB. Is it used only off-road, on-road, is it your only bike, or do you have another bike to train on?

Reason I ask is that if you mainly use the mtb off-road (80%+), then a cadence counter isn't neccessary as the terrain changes that often, going from tight singletrack descending where you're unlikely to be pedalling, straight into a short-steep technical climb. Put the extra money towards something else too.

However, if you train on the mtb on the road, then yes, I would probably get one with cadence if you can afford it, as it is much easier to monitor and maintain cadence on the road.

HTH.