Computer Advice

Jim K

Jul 29, 2010
Im a novice rider, and do most of my riding in the early morning hours. I am looking for a bike computer that has a cadence feature and a back light that is easy to operate but doesn't consume batteries like some of the wireless ones that I have read about. Does anyone have a good recommendation for an easy to use computer that meets the criteria above?

Thanks
Jim

I agree with the wireless computers after owning one (Cateye), it only lasted 5 years, my previous ones lasted no less then 12 and they were all wired (one of those broke in an accident).

There are several good ones like the Sigma BC 1606L that has all the features you want for only $30; see more details at: Sigma BC 1606L Computer at Price Point

Be careful buying at PricePoint, their return policy is that an item can only be returned if it's in the original packaging and unopened with invoice. Their prices are good if you can live with the return policy. I've never had to send anything back, I knew what I wanted so there was no need to.

Thanks. I will look it up today. Is it an easy computer to cycle through the functions with, or do you know if it can be set to cycle on its own? Appreciate the suggestion.

I just bought the Sigma 1609 STS with the candance feature. Fairly inexpensive and really easy to setup and use. I like it a lot. Don't know about battery life yet.

The new 2009 series from Sigma also comes with a coupon for the optional software you can plug numbers into to chart your workouts. I think the software ended up (with coupon) costing a big old $7 cnd (the price was actually in euros).

If you want to spend a bit more the Sigma 2209 (?) pops off and attaches to a wrist strap to become a watch for hiking, with heart rate and altitude. Pretty cool.

Thanks. I do agree that it will accomplish everything I am looking for, but Im not sure if I want to spend that much money on a computer yet. I need something that will get me to increase my routine workouts and stretch my distances. Once I get to that point, then I will look into an upgrade. Thanks for the input.

I'd have a good look at either the Cateye Mity 8 or the Cateye Strada. Both are inexpensive and dead reliable. There are very few companies who've been in the bike computer biz as long as Cateye. Personally, I'd pick the Mity 8.

alienator said:
I'd have a good look at either the Cateye Mity 8 or the Cateye Strada. Both are inexpensive and dead reliable. There are very few companies who've been in the bike computer biz as long as Cateye. Personally, I'd pick the Mity 8.

+1 Cateye has pretty much set the standard for inexpensive reliable bike computers. I wouldn't be overly concerned about the battery usage on the wireless models, I've had 2 in use over 6 years and they still have the original batteries in them.

64Paramount said:
+1 Cateye has pretty much set the standard for inexpensive reliable bike computers. I wouldn't be overly concerned about the battery usage on the wireless models, I've had 2 in use over 6 years and they still have the original batteries in them.

If you don't ride much, or your riding different bikes thus not putting to use any one computer a lot, the bats will last as you say. But if you ride every day averaging 20 miles a day and averaging 80 on Saturday the bats in the sending unit lasts from 8 to 11 months; the computer will last about 4 years. The computer last wireless I had was the Cateye Wireless II, I had friends that had various wireless models and those that rode every day averaged close to what I did. Granted the ones who didn't ride every day got longer life. The other problem with wireless units is that their not as reliable as wired jobs. BUT, that's just been my experience and the experience of others that I know...but may not be your experience.

Froze said:
If you don't ride much, or your riding different bikes thus not putting to use any one computer a lot, the bats will last as you say. But if you ride every day averaging 20 miles a day and averaging 80 on Saturday the bats in the sending unit lasts from 8 to 11 months; the computer will last about 4 years. The computer last wireless I had was the Cateye Wireless II, I had friends that had various wireless models and those that rode every day averaged close to what I did. Granted the ones who didn't ride every day got longer life. The other problem with wireless units is that their not as reliable as wired jobs. BUT, that's just been my experience and the experience of others that I know...but may not be your experience.

No, that would not be my experience with wireless computers.

What about the Cat Eye CD300DW Wireless Cyclocomputer
Performance Bikes has it listed at $120 + 15% off. It seems to have the cadence back light etc. It is wireless, and the reviews that I have read state that the normal battery life is somewhere around 6mo with routine use.

alienator said:
Thanks. I looked at both, and I really need one with light feature. I do 90% of my riding pre dawn before I take off for work, and relying on the street light to see my data isn't working anymore. Any other suggestions?

Froze said:
This is actually good info. Thanks. It makes me feel a little more confident about a wireless computer.

Jim K said:
Thanks. I looked at both, and I really need one with light feature. I do 90% of my riding pre dawn before I take off for work, and relying on the street light to see my data isn't working anymore. Any other suggestions?

You can look at the Cateye Commuter, the Cateye V2c, the Cateye Micro Wireless, or the Polar CS100

I think of all these, the Cateye Micro Wireless is the best bang for the buck.

TKOS said:
I just bought the Sigma 1609 STS with the candance feature. Fairly inexpensive and really easy to setup and use. I like it a lot. Don't know about battery life yet.

The new 2009 series from Sigma also comes with a coupon for the optional software you can plug numbers into to chart your workouts. I think the software ended up (with coupon) costing a big old $7 cnd (the price was actually in euros).

If you want to spend a bit more the Sigma 2209 (?) pops off and attaches to a wrist strap to become a watch for hiking, with heart rate and altitude. Pretty cool.
I wound up buying this one as well, with the rear mount wired. I couldn't pass it up for the cost. Thanks for all of the input.