Computer and light recommendations

cormac!

Jan 19, 2008
Hi all,

Basically I am looking for recommendations on a speedometer/computer ... I had one years ago for a mountain bike, but apart from that have no idea what to look out for. Anyone have a make/model that they'd recommend?

Also, I am looking for recommendations on what I need to cycle in the dark. A front and back light I presume? I use a racer, so I'd rather not have a big heavy clunky attachment, so what would you guys recommend?

Thanks,
Cormac

I can't address the light issue, but as to the computer issue you need to figure out what functions are important to you and how much you want to spend. The Garmin is really cool if you need that level of sophistication and have the money to spend. There are a number of great quality wired and wireless computers on the market, and they can be very inexpensive.

If you search the Forum you will find many threads on the topic. Also, check out the below site and you can read the reviews on many different models. Be careful to check the date on the review to make sure that you're getting a current review. A good computer is both informational and entertaining. Good luck!

http://www.roadbikereview.com/

Scott

Fenix L2D premium 100 Q5
About the same amount of light as a Dinotte
Slightly less runtime. I have heard about 3 hrs for the Dinotte with 2700 mah batteries and 2.5 hrs for the Fenix
Around a 1/3 of the price.

The latest LED technology is amazing you will not believe how bright these lights are. Of cause all the cool kids build their own.

For computer I use the polar cad200. Got all you basic needs, speed, cadence, HR, distance, avg speed. Works well, hasn't died in any major way. Has a nice auto stop/start function so my average speed stays nice and high even when stopping for the 15th *$@&ing red light in a row.

Light-wise I have a Planet Bike rear flasher. This thing is like a strobe - very bright, very much grabs people's attention. ON the front is an LED flasher with a 180, arc - sorry can't remember the brand, and the same on the back. Gives me a good 360 coverage of blinky lights.

My 2 cents worth.