Computer Calibration Question

Birke D

Guest
The distance measurement readout on my bike computer is close, but slightly less than true distance
traveled. For example, if I rode 10 miles, the computer reading would only be 9.8 miles. The tires
are fully inflated so it's a question of the computer setting. Before I really screw up the
settings, do I need to increase or decrease the computer wheel size reference number? Thanks in
advance for your advice.

"Birke D" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> The distance measurement readout on my bike computer is close, but
slightly
> less than true distance traveled. For example, if I rode 10 miles, the
computer
> reading would only be 9.8 miles. The tires are fully inflated so it's a question of the computer
> setting. Before I really screw up the settings,
do I
> need to increase or decrease the computer wheel size reference number?
Thanks
> in advance for your advice.

Increase.

How do you know your cycle-computer isn't correct? What are you measuring the supposed 10 mile
distance with?

Chris

Birke D wrote:

> The distance measurement readout on my bike computer is close, but slightly less than true
> distance traveled. For example, if I rode 10 miles, the computer reading would only be 9.8 miles.
> The tires are fully inflated so it's a question of the computer setting. Before I really screw up
> the settings, do I need to increase or decrease the computer wheel size reference number? Thanks
> in advance for your advice.

> The distance measurement readout on my bike computer is close, but slightly
>> less than true distance traveled. For example, if I rode 10 miles, the
>computer
>> reading would only be 9.8 miles.

That was just a hypothetical example used to clarify my inquiry. I've done many rides over different
measured distances and I always come up a little short on my computer.

[email protected] (Birke D) writes:

> The distance measurement readout on my bike computer is close, but slightly less than true
> distance traveled. For example, if I rode 10 miles, the computer reading would only be 9.8 miles.
> The tires are fully inflated so it's a question of the computer setting. Before I really screw up
> the settings, do I need to increase or decrease the computer wheel size reference number? Thanks
> in advance for your advice.

Increase, by appr. 2%, probably around 4cm.

--
__o | Øyvind Røtvold _`\(, | http://www.darkside.no/olr/index.html (_)/(_) | ... biciclare
necesse est ...

In article <[email protected]>, Birke D <[email protected]> wrote:
>> The distance measurement readout on my bike computer is close, but slightly
>>> less than true distance traveled. For example, if I rode 10 miles, the
>>computer
>>> reading would only be 9.8 miles.
>
>That was just a hypothetical example used to clarify my inquiry. I've done many rides over
>different measured distances and I always come up a little short on my computer.

How do you know the *real* distance? Bicycle computer's can be very accurate.

LITTLE KNOWN FACT: Did you know that 90% of North Americans cannot taste the difference between
fried dog and fried cat?