Computer Calibration Question

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Birke D, May 3, 2003.

  1. Birke D

    Birke D Guest

    The distance measurement readout on my bike computer is close, but slightly less than true distance
    traveled. For example, if I rode 10 miles, the computer reading would only be 9.8 miles. The tires
    are fully inflated so it's a question of the computer setting. Before I really screw up the
    settings, do I need to increase or decrease the computer wheel size reference number? Thanks in
    advance for your advice.

    Tags:

  2. Gary German

    Gary German Guest

    "Birke D" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > The distance measurement readout on my bike computer is close, but
    slightly
    > less than true distance traveled. For example, if I rode 10 miles, the
    computer
    > reading would only be 9.8 miles. The tires are fully inflated so it's a question of the computer
    > setting. Before I really screw up the settings,
    do I
    > need to increase or decrease the computer wheel size reference number?
    Thanks
    > in advance for your advice.

    Increase.

  3. How do you know your cycle-computer isn't correct? What are you measuring the supposed 10 mile
    distance with?

    Chris

    Birke D wrote:

    > The distance measurement readout on my bike computer is close, but slightly less than true
    > distance traveled. For example, if I rode 10 miles, the computer reading would only be 9.8 miles.
    > The tires are fully inflated so it's a question of the computer setting. Before I really screw up
    > the settings, do I need to increase or decrease the computer wheel size reference number? Thanks
    > in advance for your advice.

  4. Birke D

    Birke D Guest

    > The distance measurement readout on my bike computer is close, but slightly
    >> less than true distance traveled. For example, if I rode 10 miles, the
    >computer
    >> reading would only be 9.8 miles.

    That was just a hypothetical example used to clarify my inquiry. I've done many rides over different
    measured distances and I always come up a little short on my computer.

  5. [email protected] (Birke D) writes:

    > The distance measurement readout on my bike computer is close, but slightly less than true
    > distance traveled. For example, if I rode 10 miles, the computer reading would only be 9.8 miles.
    > The tires are fully inflated so it's a question of the computer setting. Before I really screw up
    > the settings, do I need to increase or decrease the computer wheel size reference number? Thanks
    > in advance for your advice.

    Increase, by appr. 2%, probably around 4cm.

    --
    __o | Øyvind Røtvold _`\(, | http://www.darkside.no/olr/index.html (_)/(_) | ... biciclare
    necesse est ...

  6. Pete Hickey

    Pete Hickey Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Birke D <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> The distance measurement readout on my bike computer is close, but slightly
    >>> less than true distance traveled. For example, if I rode 10 miles, the
    >>computer
    >>> reading would only be 9.8 miles.
    >
    >That was just a hypothetical example used to clarify my inquiry. I've done many rides over
    >different measured distances and I always come up a little short on my computer.

    How do you know the *real* distance? Bicycle computer's can be very accurate.

    LITTLE KNOWN FACT: Did you know that 90% of North Americans cannot taste the difference between
    fried dog and fried cat?