Computer Calibration Question

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Birke D, May 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birke D

Birke D Guest

The distance measurement readout on my bike computer is close, but slightly less than true distance
    traveled. For example, if I rode 10 miles, the computer reading would only be 9.8 miles. The tires
    are fully inflated so it's a question of the computer setting. Before I really screw up the
    settings, do I need to increase or decrease the computer wheel size reference number? Thanks in
    advance for your advice.

Tags:

2. Gary German

Gary German Guest

"Birke D" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > The distance measurement readout on my bike computer is close, but
    slightly
    > less than true distance traveled. For example, if I rode 10 miles, the
    computer
    > reading would only be 9.8 miles. The tires are fully inflated so it's a question of the computer
    > setting. Before I really screw up the settings,
    do I
    > need to increase or decrease the computer wheel size reference number?
    Thanks
    > in advance for your advice.

Increase.

3. How do you know your cycle-computer isn't correct? What are you measuring the supposed 10 mile
    distance with?

Chris

Birke D wrote:

> The distance measurement readout on my bike computer is close, but slightly less than true
    > distance traveled. For example, if I rode 10 miles, the computer reading would only be 9.8 miles.
    > The tires are fully inflated so it's a question of the computer setting. Before I really screw up
    > the settings, do I need to increase or decrease the computer wheel size reference number? Thanks

4. Birke D

Birke D Guest

> The distance measurement readout on my bike computer is close, but slightly
    >> less than true distance traveled. For example, if I rode 10 miles, the
    >computer
    >> reading would only be 9.8 miles.

That was just a hypothetical example used to clarify my inquiry. I've done many rides over different
    measured distances and I always come up a little short on my computer.

5. [email protected] (Birke D) writes:

> The distance measurement readout on my bike computer is close, but slightly less than true
    > distance traveled. For example, if I rode 10 miles, the computer reading would only be 9.8 miles.
    > The tires are fully inflated so it's a question of the computer setting. Before I really screw up
    > the settings, do I need to increase or decrease the computer wheel size reference number? Thanks

Increase, by appr. 2%, probably around 4cm.

--
    __o | Øyvind Røtvold _`\(, | http://www.darkside.no/olr/index.html (_)/(_) | ... biciclare
    necesse est ...

6. Pete Hickey

Pete Hickey Guest

In article <[email protected]>, Birke D <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> The distance measurement readout on my bike computer is close, but slightly
    >>> less than true distance traveled. For example, if I rode 10 miles, the
    >>computer
    >>> reading would only be 9.8 miles.
    >
    >That was just a hypothetical example used to clarify my inquiry. I've done many rides over
    >different measured distances and I always come up a little short on my computer.

How do you know the *real* distance? Bicycle computer's can be very accurate.

--
    --
    LITTLE KNOWN FACT: Did you know that 90% of North Americans cannot taste the difference between
    fried dog and fried cat?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.