Computer - do I need a heat rate monitor?

ringmaster

Feb 2, 2005
**Typo - I meant to type HEART rate**

I want to add a computer (wireless) to my roadbike and am wondering how important a heart rate monitor is. I am a recreational road cyclist coming over from the world of mountain biking where I never used a HR monitor. I am not training for races, etc but do want to use road riding to get fit and fast.

Do I need a HR monitor or should I just go out and hammer as many miles as possible.

I should add that I am looking at the Ciclo computers.

Thanks

It's fun to have that option to watch how your heart rate varies. It will give you the heads up when you are pushing too hard, and need to ease off a little bit. You can avoid many bonks or crashes in your energy level by using one. It's just one more way to get to know how your body reacts in every situation, be it hills or flats.

HR monitors are great tools, they add a bit more interest to long rides, and I never ride without one, but they're obviously not vital.

If you're considering a combined computer/HR monitor, I could be wrong, but I think to get good quality in both functions it would be cheaper to buy separate items. And if you want wireless, that's a whole other bunch of $$$$$ :)

ringmaster said:
**Typo - I meant to type HEART rate**

I want to add a computer (wireless) to my roadbike and am wondering how important a heart rate monitor is. I am a recreational road cyclist coming over from the world of mountain biking where I never used a HR monitor. I am not training for races, etc but do want to use road riding to get fit and fast.

Do I need a HR monitor or should I just go out and hammer as many miles as possible.

I should add that I am looking at the Ciclo computers.

Thanks
Yes get an HRM they make a world of difference-read up on heart rate training zones- the information is invaluable-its stops you getting kn*****d for no good reason- and you get fitter faster by doing it right.