Computer for Brevets

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Alan Fishman, Mar 23, 2003.

  1. Alan Fishman

    Alan Fishman Guest

    I am planning to do a Brevet series this spring that includes rides up to
    600K. I'd like to find a computer that will record the correct elapsed time and trip distance. The
    Cateye I have now appears to restart after 10 hrs. Any suggestions on a brand or model that I
    should try?

    Thanks,

    Alan

    Tags:

  2. Spam Hater

    Spam Hater Guest

    Alan Fishman wrote:

    > I am planning to do a Brevet series this spring that includes rides up to
    > 600K. I'd like to find a computer that will record the correct elapsed time and trip distance.
    > The Cateye I have now appears to restart after 10 hrs. Any suggestions on a brand or model
    > that I should try?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Alan

    define 'correct'.

    Iuse a Cateye Astrale with the mode set to auto-start/stop. If what you mean by 'correct' being a
    display longer thaan 10 hrs, the Astrale will do the trick. Another model you could look into is the
    Sigma Sport series, although I have no experience with that brand.

    Joe
    --

    I don't herd cats anymore. All you end up with are scratches and a bunch of pissed off cats.

  3. spam hater wrote:

    > Alan Fishman wrote:
    >
    >> I am planning to do a Brevet series this spring that includes rides up to
    >> 600K. I'd like to find a computer that will record the correct elapsed time and trip distance.
    >> The Cateye I have now appears to restart after 10 hrs. Any suggestions on a brand or model
    >> that I should try?

    I've been wondering the same thing. I think there's an Avocet computer that doesn't wrap around in
    such a short time, but I haven't used it.

    > define 'correct'.

    Displaying the difference between current time and start time, in any units. Not telling you you've
    been cycling for 2 hours, when in fact you've been going for 12 hours.

    > Iuse a Cateye Astrale with the mode set to auto-start/stop. If what you mean by 'correct' being a
    > display longer thaan 10 hrs, the Astrale will do the trick.

    From the Astrale manual (online):

    Elapsed Time 0:00'00" to 9:59'59" ?0.003% Elapsed time is measured from start to current point, in
    units of hours, minutes and seconds. At 10 hours, it returns to zero and counting begins anew.

    and more annoyingly:

    Average Speed 0.0 to 65.9 mile/h ?0.3 mile/h The average speed from start to current point is
    displayed within 27 hours 46 minutes 39 seconds (99.999 seconds) or 999.99 miles (km). If either is
    exceeded, (.E) is displayed and calculation ceases.

    It's nice to know what your average speed is on a brevet, which has a 15 km/h minimum average speed
    including all rest stops (so manual start/stop is desirable too, but I think all the CatEye
    computers allow this).

    --
    Benjamin Lewis

    "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you
    underneath. At night, the ice weasels come." --Matt Groening

  4. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    The elapsed time is no problem. They will write and sign it on your brevet card. If you need time
    between checkpoints, 10 hours is more than ample.

    Almost any cycle computer will measure distance either in kilometers or miles.

    On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 19:39:07 GMT, "Alan Fishman" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I am planning to do a Brevet series this spring that includes rides up to
    >600K. I'd like to find a computer that will record the correct elapsed time and trip distance. The
    > Cateye I have now appears to restart after 10 hrs. Any suggestions on a brand or model that
    > I should try?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Alan

  5. "Alan Fishman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am planning to do a Brevet series this spring that includes rides up to
    > 600K. I'd like to find a computer that will record the correct elapsed time and trip distance.
    > The Cateye I have now appears to restart after 10 hrs. Any suggestions on a brand or model
    > that I should try?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Alan

    I have done many brevets and have the same annoying problem. I'm also a bit of a statistic nerd.

    I can't offer any purchasing suggestions. But I can tell you that my Trek computer, although it has
    the digits to record past 300 miles and past 30 hours it, will reach a point where the combined data
    fills up the tiny amount of memory that it has. It will continue to display speed but it will stop
    updating the distance and time. Usually I will have travelled a while before I notice it.

    So just because a computer has the digits to display your stats for a 600K or 1200k doesn't mean it
    actually will.

    Enjoy the brevets, Tom

  6. "Alan Fishman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    >I am planning to do a Brevet series this spring that includes rides up to
    >600K. I'd like to find a computer that will record the correct elapsed time and trip distance. The
    > Cateye I have now appears to restart after 10 hrs. Any suggestions on a brand or model that
    > I should try?

    Cateye Enduro II - has three odos (permenant, 'trip', and 'day') and keeps hours past 10. Not sure
    how far past ten, but probably into the 20's or more. The 'day' and 'trip' odos only go to 1000 km
    if I recall, but reset cleanly (ie don't stick there at 999.9.)

  7. Alan Fishman

    Alan Fishman Guest

    I have done some more research and the Sigma Sport 1600 looks like it may work. I contacted the
    importer who told me that it records time of up to 999 hrs per ride. It costs about $30 so its worth
    a try. I don't know how it calculates avg speed. If the elapsed time works it is probably worth it.

    See web site at:

    http://www.sigmasport.de/index_usa.html