Computer for navigation only...do they exist?

Methodical

Jun 25, 2012
[SIZE= medium]I want a computer that allows me to either map out routes on it or upload routes that I’ve designed (my preference is to upload my routes or preexisting routes) to the unit and have it do the navigation; cadence, speed etc. is not important since I use the Bontrager Node 1.1 and the speedtrap sensor for those tasks for my road bike and the cateye for my mountain bike. Is there such a unit out there? If not, then what are my choices? My searches keep returning Garmins, but I know there has to be other worthwhile navigational computers out there. Will both units coexist together without issue? Any help is appreciated. I didn't provide a budget amount because I don't want to limit any suggestions.[/SIZE]

[SIZE= medium]Thanks...Al[/SIZE]

Garmin. I can't imagine why you'd want to have more than one electronic device on your stem/handlebars. The Garmin will read your Speedtrap sensor.

Originally Posted by alienator .

Garmin.
I can't imagine why you'd want to have more than one electronic device on your stem/handlebars. The Garmin will read your Speedtrap sensor.
Yeah, I can see your point I can remove the other one though. Which Garmin would you suggest? I'd like a unit where I can load the routes I've created onto the unit.

Thanks

You'll want either the Garmin 800 or 500. If you go Garmin's website, you can read about the differences between the two.

Methodical said:
Yeah, I can see your point I can remove the other one though.  Which Garmin would you suggest?  I'd like a unit where I can load the routes I've created onto the unit. Thanks
The garmin edge 500 has some issues with the course feature; anyway, it doesnt really display a map, only a breadcrum trail. The edge 705 or 800 display actual maps but you have to buy them separately or find a free source like open street maps...

I'm in the market for the Garmin 800...the young guys at the race today were all about the I-Phone.

They claimed Garmin goes obsolete quickly...dunno. Never owned one.

One or the other, I want something that offers mapping, has a good display (Iphone has the edge here, or so I'm told) and is fairly rugged (users tell me the Garmin units are sturdy). A cell phone GPS with app does eliminate a device...

CAMPYBOB said:
I'm in the market for the Garmin 800...the young guys at the race today were all about the I-Phone. They claimed Garmin goes obsolete quickly...dunno. Never owned one. One or the other, I want something that offers mapping, has a good display (Iphone has the edge here, or so I'm told) and is fairly rugged (users tell me the Garmin units are sturdy). A cell phone GPS with app does eliminate a device...
Hmm... I think the iPhone has much better display but the battery life is short... Maybe a couple of hours if you are using a biking app... The garmin needs base maps; the one that comes preinstalled sucks. You have find a good free map or pay extra to get better maps You could look at the Bryton Ryder 50 also; a lot less expensive than the edge 800. You can get it for 250 bucks on eBay ; plenty of reviews on YouTube ...

OSM maps for Garmins are dead easy to find and so much better than Garmin's maps.

You could look at the Bryton Ryder 50 also; a lot less expensive than the edge 800. You can get it for 250 bucks on eBay ; plenty of reviews on YouTube ...

Thanks! I'll take a look at it. I've not heard of that manufacturer.

You'll want either the Garmin 800 or 500. If you go Garmin's website, you can read about the differences between the two.

Originally Posted by vspa .

did you checked out first the new 510's & 810's ?
Sorry for the delayed responses. I am not getting email notification event though I have it set.

I purchase the 800 before the 510 or the 810 came out.