computer location...

tiggere

Jul 20, 2007
Guys the weather here is pretty lousy in the summer...really hot and humid with red zone air indexes usually...if its not then there is a thunderstorm going on...I have set my bike up indoors and was wondering if there is a downside to hooking my cycling comp up to the rear wheel so I can use it on the trainer...the cable is a bit short so I will probably have to move the mount...but other than that are there any reasons why I can't do this...I'm guessing the speeds won't be too accurate as the terrain is REALLY flat :p ...

taken out of my back door yesterday as the storms rolled through...

fire.jpg

coneofsilence said:
Does the story to the picture just stop there? Or is it still on fire......
no its out...after burning for 10 minutes or so...the family was home but they got their dogs and got out...total loss though...

tiggere said:
Guys the weather here is pretty lousy in the summer...really hot and humid with red zone air indexes usually...if its not then there is a thunderstorm going on...I have set my bike up indoors and was wondering if there is a downside to hooking my cycling comp up to the rear wheel so I can use it on the trainer...the cable is a bit short so I will probably have to move the mount...but other than that are there any reasons why I can't do this...I'm guessing the speeds won't be too accurate as the terrain is REALLY flat :p ...

help? :confused:

Scotty_Dog said:
It doesn't matter which wheel you monitor...
It does on a trainer!
Why do you want to monitor turns of the wheel on a trainer, in any case? The "distance" measured will not be equivalent to real miles. The wheel speed depends on the resistance setting and the gear you choose. I can set my trainer resistance to "10" and use fourth gear, or else set "7" and select 7th gear - same power, different wheel speed. I guess that if you have, or use, only one resistance setting, then the measured mileage and speed would be able to be compared from ride to ride.

artemidorus said:
It does on a trainer!
Why do you want to monitor turns of the wheel on a trainer, in any case? The "distance" measured will not be equivalent to real miles. The wheel speed depends on the resistance setting and the gear you choose. I can set my trainer resistance to "10" and use fourth gear, or else set "7" and select 7th gear - same power, different wheel speed. I guess that if you have, or use, only one resistance setting, then the measured mileage and speed would be able to be compared from ride to ride.
my thoughts were that one revolution of the wheel was one revolution of the wheel...whether it be on the road or on a tainer...my comp measures based on that but I was thinking its still only contacting one point on the trainer and one the road so it should work...I'm not arguing...I don't know thats why I asked the question...but if its not going to be accurate then I don't want to do it...is there any other options for geting accurate mileage from a trainer...formulas to use?

tiggere said:
my thoughts were that one revolution of the wheel was one revolution of the wheel...whether it be on the road or on a tainer...my comp measures based on that but I was thinking its still only contacting one point on the trainer and one the road so it should work...I'm not arguing...I don't know thats why I asked the question...but if its not going to be accurate then I don't want to do it...is there any other options for geting accurate mileage from a trainer...formulas to use?
The relevant parameter to measure on an exercise bike is the time spent at the desired exercise level. Your exercise level is determined by stable power output, stable heart rate or perceived exertion, in order of usefulness. Turns of the rear wheel are irrelevant - you can use a high gear with a low resistance or a low gear with a high resistance. Each can give you the same power output, but turns of the wheel are very different.
In fact, the same principles apply to road riding as well. The time at the desired exercise level is much more important than mileage for measuring training quality and quantity. Compare 50km of downhill with 50km of uphill for training usefulness and you will understand what I mean. When I ride on the road, I have power, heart rate and cadence displayed on my computer. I don't bother with speed and distance - I know the length of my rides and I can guess my speed pretty well.

tiggere said:

One turn of the wheel on the road is definitely not the same as one turn on the trainer, and this is for, in part, one big reason: air resistance. Air resistance is the biggest source of energy loss on a bike, by far.

alienator said:
One turn of the wheel on the road is definitely not the same as one turn on the trainer, and this is for, in part, one big reason: air resistance. Air resistance is the biggest source of energy loss on a bike, by far.
It sounds like you cheat when you're on the trainer. You should always put a fan right in front of the bike to increase the wind resistance.

Russ Reynolds said:
It sounds like you cheat when you're on the trainer. You should always put a fan right in front of the bike to increase the wind resistance.

In Arizona, it's illegal to use an indoor trainer, and if you're caught doing so, you'll be prosecuted for Felony Disrespect of Perfect Outdoor Riding Conditions.

alienator said:
In Arizona, it's illegal to use an indoor trainer, and if you're caught doing so, you'll be prosecuted for Felony Disrespect of Perfect Outdoor Riding Conditions.
That sounds like a bloody good law. Might try to get it introduced here.