Computer Mounting

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by aychamo, Jul 12, 2003.

1. aychamo

aychamo New Member

Heya there.

Please verify my logic. When mounting the little computer, it does not matter how far up or down the sense is on the spoke, as long as it lines up with the reader on the forks, right?

My thinking is that no matter were on the spoke the censor is, it takes the same amount of time to do one rotation on the tire.

Thank you :)

Tags:

2. Wally

Wally New Member

Most profesionals seem to mount the pick-up sensor near the top of the forks. I put mine close to the axle so the weight has less affect on the balance of the tire.

(this may be a little extreme but it comes from my days as a motorcycle road racer, always want a little rotating mass as possible.)

3. Aztec

Aztec New Member

Wally's got it. Won't matter for the reading (a revolution is a revolution), and the further from the rim the less additional rotating mass.

4. bobby

bobby New Member

It doesn't matter where on the spoke you place the magnet, but remember clearances for mud etc, and if the magnet turns because of mud, it can take the sensor out. An 1/8th of an inch (3mm) is nominal but give it a little more if you're further up the spoke.
    For the speeds that you'll be achieving on a pedaller I don't think this position is an issue, but mine is midspan due to the huge mud clearances on my forks.
    B.