Computer Not Sensing Motion: Bad Wiring or Something Else?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by steve_wmn, Sep 28, 2004.

  1. steve_wmn

    steve_wmn New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2004
    My year old Sigma bike computer stopped sensing motion almost completely today. I've had the occasional problem where the sensor and spoke magnet were too far apart and have been able to fix that without a hitch. But this time all efforts to fix the problem by shifting the sensor and magnet around failed to make a difference. I got them really, really close (1-2 mm separation) and still no luck. I took the display off the base and the contacts were clean and it still wouldn't work after reseating it.

    I haven't ridden in any rain in at least 2 weeks so if this is corrosion it was a delayed reaction. I rode yesterday and it was fine. The wiring looks OK as far as I can see.

    Could a weak battery do this? The LCD display isn't fading as far as I can tell.

    After all the fiddling and fussing I made over it, it registered about 0.1 miles distance traveled on an 8 mile ride so it does seem to have ticked over a few times, FWIW.

    Tags:

  2. Kenneth

    Kenneth Guest

    On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 04:40:41 +1000, steve_wmn
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >My year old Sigma bike computer stopped sensing motion almost completely
    >today. I've had the occasional problem where the sensor and spoke
    >magnet were too far apart and have been able to fix that without a
    >hitch. But this time all efforts to fix the problem by shifting the
    >sensor and magnet around failed to make a difference. I got them
    >really, really close (1-2 mm separation) and still no luck. I took the
    >display off the base and the contacts were clean and it still wouldn't
    >work after reseating it.
    >
    >I haven't ridden in any rain in at least 2 weeks so if this is
    >corrosion it was a delayed reaction. I rode yesterday and it was fine.
    >The wiring looks OK as far as I can see.
    >
    >Could a weak battery do this? The LCD display isn't fading as far as I
    >can tell.
    >
    >After all the fiddling and fussing I made over it, it registered about
    >0.1 miles distance traveled on an 8 mile ride so it does seem to have
    >ticked over a few times, FWIW.

    Hi Steve,

    Forgive my ignorance...

    Is this thing wired, or wireless?

    If wireless, a weak transmitter battery could be your problem...

    HTH,

    --
    Kenneth

  3. steve_wmn

    steve_wmn New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2004
    It's wired, sorry if that wasn't clear.

  4. On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 04:40:41 +1000, steve_wmn
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >My year old Sigma bike computer stopped sensing motion almost completely
    >today. I've had the occasional problem where the sensor and spoke
    >magnet were too far apart and have been able to fix that without a
    >hitch. But this time all efforts to fix the problem by shifting the
    >sensor and magnet around failed to make a difference. I got them
    >really, really close (1-2 mm separation) and still no luck. I took the
    >display off the base and the contacts were clean and it still wouldn't
    >work after reseating it.
    >
    >I haven't ridden in any rain in at least 2 weeks so if this is
    >corrosion it was a delayed reaction. I rode yesterday and it was fine.
    >The wiring looks OK as far as I can see.
    >
    >Could a weak battery do this? The LCD display isn't fading as far as I
    >can tell.
    >
    >After all the fiddling and fussing I made over it, it registered about
    >0.1 miles distance traveled on an 8 mile ride so it does seem to have
    >ticked over a few times, FWIW.

    Dear Steve,

    If it's a wired speedometer and there's no faint click when
    the magnet passes the sensor, then your sensor switch is
    probably shot.

    It might be possible to disassemble and clean the switch.

    If you can find someone with the same model, swap the
    display unit and see if it works on a known good sensor (or
    vice-versa, putting a known good display on your suspect
    mount).

    This is why I like the cheap models from Nashbar and
    Performance that come with two mounts and sensors.

    Good luck,

    Carl Fogel

  5. Leo Lichtman

    Leo Lichtman Guest

    I have had problems like this in the past, and this is how I have
    troubleshot (troubleshooted) it. I used a strong magnet, hand held, to see
    whether I could generate a response. If that works, then you have good
    wiring. If you cant's get any action with the magnet, take the cyclometer
    out of its bracket on the handlebars, and short the contacts together with a
    wire. If that makes it work, the problem is not in the head. If it does
    not, it could be a battery or a bad computer. If this test shows the head
    is good, then there must be an interruption in the wiring. This COULD be a
    bad connection at the bracket--try cleaning and lots of wiggling. To test
    the rest of the system, put a continuity tester across the bracket contacts,
    and wave a magnet near the switch. This exhausts all the possibilities.

    My feeling is, if everything I have listed fails to find the problem, buy
    all new. Cyclometers are pretty cheap nowadays, so it's not worth the
    hassle.

  6. RE/
    >If it's a wired speedometer and there's no faint click when
    >the magnet passes the sensor, then your sensor switch is
    >probably shot.

    >If you can find someone with the same model, swap
    >
    >This is why I like the cheap models from Nashbar and
    >Performance that come with two mounts and sensors.

    Also, many of the CatEye models use the same mount/sensor/wire setup and
    Performance sells replacement sensor/mount/wire kits for about $12
    each...although your last sentence makes me wonder if the really el-cheapo
    complete units would be almost as cheap.

    --
    PeteCresswell

  7. D

    D Guest

    steve_wmn <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Kenneth Wrote:
    > >

    > > Hi Steve,
    > >
    > > Forgive my ignorance...
    > >
    > > Is this thing wired, or wireless?
    > >
    > > If wireless, a weak transmitter battery could be your problem...
    > >
    > > HTH,
    > >

    > It's wired, sorry if that wasn't clear.

    Could be computer contacks. Take computer off,clean and try again.

  8. John McGraw

    John McGraw Guest

    steve_wmn <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Kenneth Wrote:
    > >

    > > Hi Steve,
    > >
    > > Forgive my ignorance...
    > >
    > > Is this thing wired, or wireless?
    > >
    > > If wireless, a weak transmitter battery could be your problem...
    > >
    > > HTH,
    > >

    > It's wired, sorry if that wasn't clear.

    Hay steve,
    Simplest way to tell if the reed switch is working or not or if there
    is a brake in the wires, is to take a volt, ohm, meter, & apply the 2
    prods to the contacts, w/ the vom in continuity mode, while someone
    moves the magnet past the swithch. If U don't have a vom & do have an
    automotive screwdriver type continuity checker w/ a light, use it.
    I've never done it this way, but I think it should work. W/ avocete
    cyclometers, tto determine whether it's the cord or reed switch,
    carefully disconect the wires & test them individually. If the holder
    has 3 connection clips, just keep trying various combinations, w/ the
    other person doing their think w/ reed switch & magnet. If that part
    of system tests ok, put new batteries in, even if they appear ok.
    After all that, if it doesn't work take it back to dealer. May warente
    it or give U a brake on a new one or not;-)
    Good luck, John

  9. On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 00:01:36 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >RE/
    >>If it's a wired speedometer and there's no faint click when
    >>the magnet passes the sensor, then your sensor switch is
    >>probably shot.

    >>If you can find someone with the same model, swap
    >>
    >>This is why I like the cheap models from Nashbar and
    >>Performance that come with two mounts and sensors.

    >Also, many of the CatEye models use the same mount/sensor/wire setup and
    >Performance sells replacement sensor/mount/wire kits for about $12
    >each...although your last sentence makes me wonder if the really el-cheapo
    >complete units would be almost as cheap.

    Dear Pete,

    Nashbar is selling its two-mount house brand for $12.95:

    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...rand=&sku=6158&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

    Performance is selling the Sigma Sport for $7.99, though I
    doubt that it has two mounts:

    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=16143&subcategory_ID=4110

    I appreciated the two-mount package many summers ago when a
    hundred-yard stretch of my daily ride was flooded every year
    about hub-deep for a week or two ("Caution: trail ahead may
    be underwater!") and sometimes ruined the sensor. Better
    control at the dam five miles upstream has improved things,
    but it's always nice to have cheap spares.

    Carl Fogel

  10. RE/
    >Dear Pete,
    >
    >Nashbar is selling its two-mount house brand for $12.95:
    >
    >http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...rand=&sku=6158&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=
    >
    >Performance is selling the Sigma Sport for $7.99, though I
    >doubt that it has two mounts:
    >
    >http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=16143&subcategory_ID=4110

    That one's a "keeper" thanks.

    I suspected that some complete units might be close to the extra sensor/bracket
    cost...but never thought some might be substantially less.

    I think I'll load up on a few of the $8.00 units....having fried mine last
    weekend riding around in the remnants of one of the hurricanes...
    --
    PeteCresswell

  11. On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 23:54:34 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >RE/
    >>Dear Pete,
    >>
    >>Nashbar is selling its two-mount house brand for $12.95:
    >>
    >>http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...rand=&sku=6158&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=
    >>
    >>Performance is selling the Sigma Sport for $7.99, though I
    >>doubt that it has two mounts:
    >>
    >>http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=16143&subcategory_ID=4110

    >That one's a "keeper" thanks.
    >
    >I suspected that some complete units might be close to the extra sensor/bracket
    >cost...but never thought some might be substantially less.
    >
    >I think I'll load up on a few of the $8.00 units....having fried mine last
    >weekend riding around in the remnants of one of the hurricanes...

    Dear Pete,

    I picked up a spare Schwinn 2-button speedometer today at
    WalMart---$9.32 plus 69 cents tax, $10.01. It used to be
    $9.95 plus tax. This price is less than the others when you
    include shipping, and while there's only one mount, it's
    frankly a better mount.

    It's offset so that it can be centered dead ahead of the
    stem for that symmetry so crucial to balance. Even better,
    it can be mounted at or below the handlebar level for those
    who like to flip bike upside-down, but hate to have the
    speedometer land on a rock.

    There's also a postive retention latch so that the
    speedometer stays in place--some mounts can let the
    speedometer slide out so that it looks as if it's in place,
    but your speedometer mysteriously goes dead.

    As for frying speedos, I take a plastic baggie, secure it
    around the speedometer with a pair of rubber bands, and trim
    it with scissors--keeps the rain off well enough that they
    seem to last longer.

    Carl Fogel

  12. RonSonic

    RonSonic Guest

    On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 23:54:34 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >RE/
    >>Dear Pete,
    >>
    >>Nashbar is selling its two-mount house brand for $12.95:
    >>
    >>http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...rand=&sku=6158&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=
    >>
    >>Performance is selling the Sigma Sport for $7.99, though I
    >>doubt that it has two mounts:
    >>
    >>http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=16143&subcategory_ID=4110

    >That one's a "keeper" thanks.
    >
    >I suspected that some complete units might be close to the extra sensor/bracket
    >cost...but never thought some might be substantially less.
    >
    >I think I'll load up on a few of the $8.00 units....having fried mine last
    >weekend riding around in the remnants of one of the hurricanes...

    Those have dictated my rides lately.

    Ordinary places have hills, Florida has wind.

    Ron

  13. steve_wmn

    steve_wmn New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2004
    Thought I'd follow up to report that the problem went away all by itself (shrug). I swear it wasn't just a matter of having the magenet positioned wrong. Maybe unseating and reseating the display head a few times while troublewshooting cured it.

  14. Michael

    Michael Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 23:54:34 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >RE/
    > >>Dear Pete,
    > >>
    > >>Nashbar is selling its two-mount house brand for $12.95:
    > >>
    > >>http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...rand=&sku=6158&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=
    > >>
    > >>Performance is selling the Sigma Sport for $7.99, though I
    > >>doubt that it has two mounts:
    > >>
    > >>http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=16143&subcategory_ID=4110

    > >That one's a "keeper" thanks.
    > >
    > >I suspected that some complete units might be close to the extra sensor/bracket
    > >cost...but never thought some might be substantially less.
    > >
    > >I think I'll load up on a few of the $8.00 units....having fried mine last
    > >weekend riding around in the remnants of one of the hurricanes...

    > Dear Pete,
    >
    > I picked up a spare Schwinn 2-button speedometer today at
    > WalMart---$9.32 plus 69 cents tax, $10.01. It used to be
    > $9.95 plus tax. This price is less than the others when you
    > include shipping, and while there's only one mount, it's
    > frankly a better mount.
    >
    > It's offset so that it can be centered dead ahead of the
    > stem for that symmetry so crucial to balance. Even better,
    > it can be mounted at or below the handlebar level for those
    > who like to flip bike upside-down, but hate to have the
    > speedometer land on a rock.
    >
    > There's also a postive retention latch so that the
    > speedometer stays in place--some mounts can let the
    > speedometer slide out so that it looks as if it's in place,
    > but your speedometer mysteriously goes dead.
    >
    > As for frying speedos, I take a plastic baggie, secure it
    > around the speedometer with a pair of rubber bands, and trim
    > it with scissors--keeps the rain off well enough that they
    > seem to last longer.
    >
    > Carl Fogel

    I use 1-button Schwinn, and I agree: the mount is very solid.

    FWIW, I dismantled a Schwinn 1-button and can attest to its good
    construction, particularly its built-in resistance to water. Not water
    _at_depth_ , mind you, but e.g. rain and car washes. :) I don't cover
    my unit at all, and it shrugged off a dozen downpours during the past 18
    months. (Still using the original battery, which amazes me.)

    Michael