Computer problems, if you know about computers please read.

MountainPro

Aug 11, 2004
I just built a new gaming PC...but i have a few problems..

P4 3.4 HT
1Gb PC3200
250 GB HDD
128DDR Radeon Card.
8M wireless broadband

now, question No1.

where can i download XP Pro Service Pack 1 without a managed download.

i have a 250 GB hdd, but Xp only recognises 137Gb of it, the M/B vendor says i need to upgrade my service pack as the ATA drivers arent included with XP.

i suspect this is BS and there is a work around. The chipset is SiS who dont provide PATA drivers.

Q No2.
Any one recommend any decent games?

...i have heard Battlefront 2 is great.

also, i have a Pioneer DVD/RW drive...it was and OEM bare drive and came with no software..

will Nero work with it? if not, what do you reccomend?

MountainPro said:
also, i have a Pioneer DVD/RW drive...it was and OEM bare drive and came with no software..

will Nero work with it? if not, what do you reccomend?
Never mind all that mumbo-jumbo hocus pocus MP. Where's my bloody pneumatic sauce dispenser? Now add another chamber as I'm developing a NY Deli sauce for Hot Dogs, and German wurst.

MountainPro said:
I just built a new gaming PC...but i have a few problems..

P4 3.4 HT
1Gb PC3200
250 GB HDD
128DDR Radeon Card.
8M wireless broadband

now, question No1.

where can i download XP Pro Service Pack 1 without a managed download.

i have a 250 GB hdd, but Xp only recognises 137Gb of it, the M/B vendor says i need to upgrade my service pack as the ATA drivers arent included with XP.

i suspect this is BS and there is a work around. The chipset is SiS who dont provide PATA drivers.

Q No2.
Any one recommend any decent games?

...i have heard Battlefront 2 is great.
MP, I think you will find that many here “know about computers” but few are proficient in the technological aspects of these cursed devices…

Good luck but aren’t you a little too old to be playing computer games?

BF2 is a great game. Others to look for are:

- Far Cry
- F.E.A.R.
- Unreal Tournament 2004 :cool:
- Oblivion
- GTR 2 Racing
- DOOM 3

There's more but those'll get you started.

FredC said:
Never mind all that mumbo-jumbo hocus pocus MP. Where's my bloody pneumatic sauce dispenser? Now add another chamber as I'm developing a NY Deli sauce for Hot Dogs, and German wurst.
hot dogs and bratwurst...you mean my invention will be used to flavour your dead pigs?...i had higher hopes...

2FAST4U said:
MP, I think you will find that many here “know about computers” but few are proficient in the technological aspects of these cursed devices…
Good luck but aren’t you a little too old to be playing computer games?
too old to be playing games?...of course i am too old to play games as well as ride bicycles and chat on internet formus...are we all just big weans at heart?

Sn4fu said:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/...1/expresso.mspx
Click Go to download the executeable file.

The service pack should fix your HDD issue.
cheers mate, but thats the managed download i mentioned earlier. The company i work for have a 'use at home' policy on certain Microsoft products including office and XP etc. I use this on my desktop. It was installed by the techs at my work but didnt include service pack 1. I dont want to reinstall the OS as i have data that i dont want to lose...its a long story. I tried the link you provided last week and i am getting licencing errors. I need one file that downloads in its entirety onto my hard drive and installs from there. Its not anything dodgey, all the software is legal...

Wurm said:

- Far Cry
- F.E.A.R.
- Oblivion
- GTR 2 Racing
- DOOM 3

i have Far Cry and Doom 3...i have almost completed Far Cry and i can honestly say it is one of the best games i have ever played...its stunning. A few years old now but still amazing. Doom 3 i have had for a year now and havent played it much, i'll get back into it soon. Santa (The wife) will buy me Age of Empires 3 for christmas...(yes i am 35).....

i will try F.E.A.R. because i love horror games such as Silent Hill and Resident Evil.
cheers..

As for games to play, all i can say is play BF2.. everything else is a waste of time. I don't even think BF2 can be considered a game.

willocrew said:
btw BF2 is battlefield 2... i've never heard of battlefront 2..
yep, its Battlefield 2....my bad.

i was getting mixed up with Star Wars Battlefront 2.

MountainPro said:
yep, its Battlefield 2....my bad.

i was getting mixed up with Star Wars Battlefront 2.
Did you find the SP1 Dload? We have it here on file for roll-outs, but it's huge. All others are interactive that I've seen.

lw

MountainPro said:
too old to be playing games?...of course i am too old to play games as well as ride bicycles and chat on internet formus...are we all just big weans at heart?

LOL! I couldn't give a **** what anyone thinks..I'm 45 and still play a PC game now & then. :p Ride a bike about 150 miles/week too...imagine THAT! Maybe when I "mature" I can take up checkers and backgammon. :eek:

Far Cry is one of the best games to come out in a long time, and I like UT2k4 as well for the raw twitch-fest giblet production. LMAO! The Unreal series has been some of my all-time faves. Can't wait for UT 2007 to hit in Jan!

Hmm, I'll have to poke around the MS site some more. It used to be possible to just download the executeable manually, but I've forgotten how....

Sn4fu said:
Hmm, I'll have to poke around the MS site some more. It used to be possible to just download the executeable manually, but I've forgotten how....
i can always order it on CD....but it looks like the prob is solved. The guys at work here are giving me a CD with SP 3 or 4 already included. Its a great system we have, it only costs 2 quid to cover admin fees and the company pays for the licence...£1000 per employee and we get to use tons of software at home legally.

Wurm said:
LOL! I couldn't give a **** what anyone thinks..I'm 45 and still play a PC game now & then. :p Ride a bike about 150 miles/week too...imagine THAT! Maybe when I "mature" I can take up checkers and backgammon. :eek:

Far Cry is one of the best games to come out in a long time, and I like UT2k4 as well for the raw twitch-fest giblet production. LMAO! The Unreal series has been some of my all-time faves. Can't wait for UT 2007 to hit in Jan!
i never played unreal before...i'll see if i can get it..

Wurm said:

- Far Cry
- F.E.A.R.
- Oblivion
- GTR 2 Racing
- DOOM 3

Ghost recon isn't to bad, I prefer BF2 though.

One of my cousin's has Ghost Recon on PS2 I think. I watched him play one night but it's better on PC. Well, I guess I've "matured" far enough to have given up console playing. :p

MP -

Knowing you, I think you'll like UT04. (Not saying you're one-a those hate-filled, Godless Commie Reptilian shape-shifter dupe, militant lefty overthrower's or nothin). lol Online play is a splatterin' good time too, tho' not what it used to be in its heyday.

You should be able to snag a copy for $10.-$20. now (don't know how many stone or quid that is ;) )

Wurm said:
One of my cousin's has Ghost Recon on PS2 I think. I watched him play one night but it's better on PC. Well, I guess I've "matured" far enough to have given up console playing. :p

MP -

Knowing you, I think you'll like UT04. (Not saying you're one-a those hate-filled, Godless Commie Reptilian shape-shifter dupe, militant lefty overthrower's or nothin). lol Online play is a splatterin' good time too, tho' not what it used to be in its heyday.

You should be able to snag a copy for $10.-$20. now (don't know how many stone or quid that is ;) )
i used to be an avid console player...i like games such as Gran Turismo 4, World Rally Championship etc. because these are exclusive to PS2.

Havent played games on the console for over a year now...bored with it, the graphics and game-play on a decent PC beats anything out there inculding the XBOX 360.

I will buy a PS3 when it comes out in March 07.....maybe. Purely for the exclusive games that arent available on the PC. There is no point in buying an XBOX 360 for me as most of thier 'exclusives' eventually make it on to PC in a few months anyway.

So wurm, you wont be getting any more consoles then?

MountainPro said:
So wurm, you wont be getting any more consoles then?

Nah, most everything I want is or will be on PC and I like KB & mouse much better than console paddles. (If you tried to play UT on console after playing on PC you'd see what I mean...it blows!)

I haven't owned a console since N64. :eek: Now there was a controller I actually liked a lot. We used to get into near-brawls over Wave Race and Golden Eye. :D

'sides, I'm too invested in my Winboxen now to plunk for a console. An Opteron/dual GPU is my main rig now, an XP is a F@H/SETI slave, both w. big PSU's and whack RAM, uber-cooling, etc. I'm also waiting for AMD's Quad core debut then I'll build another.

As you said, graphics and play are muey bueno on PC if you have fast parts.

MountainPro said:
i never played unreal before...i'll see if i can get it..
Unreal Tourny is a fun play. F.E.A.R. is really intensive system wise, so you NEED top end stuff to run it with all the eyecandy. Id say medium settings for what youve got MP, and youll be satisfied. I cant believe no one has mentioned Half Life 2 & Episode One. Easily two of the most addicting games Ive played.

Also, you could look at Brothers in Arms, or Call of Duty 2 if WWII style games are youre bag...